Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use a Quilt Planner/Calendar/Organizer? >

Do you use a Quilt Planner/Calendar/Organizer?

Do you use a Quilt Planner/Calendar/Organizer?

Old 10-04-2020, 04:22 AM

Interesting thread. I never even thought about a planner. I did just buy some page protectors to organize my new template rulers. I made a folder in filing cabinet for patterns and ideas that I print out for someday. I have taken pictures of finished quilts and stored them on the computer. Now I think I will print them and place in notebook. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:05 AM

I've never used a planner. I do have a spreadsheet, similar to what others have said, that I started a couple of years ago. It has columns to chart the stages of my UFOs, and a different page to note quilts I would like to start at some point (this has absolutely no organisational purpose whatsoever - when I start something new I just start it, I don't think I've ever referenced my spreadsheet for an idea of what to start, lol!).

I'm one of those that often has great intentions, but doesn't keep to planner-style organisation.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:14 AM

Oh no, Barb! That is heart breaking! I am so sorry. I hope you can have fun with the fabric selection process all over again!
Old 10-04-2020, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I have bought planners and such before mostly because they were pretty. I had good intentions to using them but I never have. I never found the time to write all the stuff down. I put all UFOs with pattern, fabrics, and any speciality ruler needed in a hinged clear bin and stack it on top of the other filled bins.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:40 AM

I have a composition book that I have used for the last couple of years. Each year I start off a new section. The first couple of pages are a list of my UFOs. The next 2 pages for each year are a list of shows I'd like to enter for the year. The next 12 pages are for the months. Each month only gets one page as I limit myself to a one line description of each item I'd like to be able to check off. For example:
1. UFO- Big Butterfly- finish quilting borders, bind, hanging sleeve, label.
2. enter xyz show- category, quilt, entry deadline
3. update quilt inventory
4. make storage bags for xyzzy quilt
5. anything else I want to work on like starting a new project, etc.

Some months the list contains 8 or 10 items, some months only a couple.

The page after December contains my Christmas list- and a note of what I'm doing for each individual.

I like this system because it gives me a way to focus on things that need to get done. Otherwise, I tend to wander in to my studio and get stymied by too many ideas.

For my finished quilts, I have a separate notebook where I keep an inventory of my finished quilts. 1 Page per quilt. On each quilt's page, I note information such as name of quilt, size, date started and finished, batting used, any special techniques used, etc. If the quilt is a show quilt, then I also add information on what shows it's been in, whether it has won any awards and its appraised value. I also have sections for noting where the quilt is currently located, if it was gifted to someone, or if it was sold and what the selling price was. Finally, I attach a picture of the quilt to the page.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 10-04-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

QUOTE=Barb in Louisiana;8422358]I use a spreadsheet showing status of UFO's and one for kits that I have bought that are ready to sew. Both lists are too long. The mistake I have made is I haven't said where the UFO's are. When I find one, I work on it. My husband, in a very bad moment, helped clean up my sewing room, without my knowledge, and separated the fabrics and the half finished projects. He didn't understand that the project on top of 20 fabrics in a box went together. He took all the fabrics out of the boxes and put them anywhere he could. I still haven't figured out what he did with the patterns. I hate to say it, but I ended up crying. I told him....NEVER again. You leave my stuff ALONE!!! One day I am going to give up and just make a bunch of baby quilts![/QUOTE]

Are you still married to him?
Old 10-04-2020, 09:00 AM

I am still married to him. He can be frustrating and challenging but it's too late to start over and I do love him, most of the time. Been 55 years so far.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I am still married to him. He can be frustrating and challenging but it's too late to start over and I do love him, most of the time. Been 55 years so far.

I would have been upset for a little bit but then I'd just go buy the fabric and patterns to start the projects over. I think I would like that anyway.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Yes, Please...Sherri McConnell gives a sneek peek of her planner on her utube channel and her blog. I agree with you that its cute. I will stay tuned to see what you think of it when it arrives. Thank you!
I got it today. I really like it! There are sections for current and future WIPs with enough lines to say what you're making, who you're making it for and where it is in your sewing room plus you can check it off when done. There are sections for ruler inventory, notion inventory. and pattern inventory. Also noted sections for goals and scrap management, and gifts to make. Then there are calendar pages that you number yourself so you can start them at any time. Project planner pages and precut inventory pages are included. It looks like something I can use religiously if I want or can pick up and use whenever. Hope that helps.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:39 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
I got it today. I really like it! There are sections for current and future WIPs with enough lines to say what you're making, who you're making it for and where it is in your sewing room plus you can check it off when done. There are sections for ruler inventory, notion inventory. and pattern inventory. Also noted sections for goals and scrap management, and gifts to make. Then there are calendar pages that you number yourself so you can start them at any time. Project planner pages and precut inventory pages are included. It looks like something I can use religiously if I want or can pick up and use whenever. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the feedback on your new planner. It has a lot of features that I would use. Enjoy using it ! Many thanks!