Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine? >

Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine?

Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine?

Old 06-05-2014, 04:29 PM

I also have a Battery Backup UPS with surge protection for both my Husq. Ruby embroidery machine and also my APQS Longarm. Recommended from dealers. From what I understand not having when thunderstorms happen the blinking or shutting off of electricity is not good for the internal computer boards.

Last edited by JAGSD; 06-05-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
I have had surge protectors on my machines since I got my computerized machine. My machine is a lot more expensive than my computer. I have gotten into the habit of unplugging that machine when not in use, you never know when lightening will show up in the area.
When unplugging your machine be sure to point the plug AWAY from your machine. I use a uninterrupted power supply on my machine -- I can actually sew for 1/2 hour after the power goes out. It gives me the time to shut the machine off and unplug it if I need to.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:00 PM

I most certainly do use a serge protector. And when I am not using my machine, it is unplugged at the machine.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:32 PM

By all means...
Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 PM

I have the kind that come with insurance. My machine is a Hugh investment that I could not afford now since we are retired.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:21 PM

I plug mine into a surge protector, but, when I am done sewing for the day I put the needle down, the pressure foot down and unplug my machine. I had read on here at one time that you can never be 100% sure that it will always off. So I asked my Son the electrician about it. He to said that if there should be a lightening strike, that it could still ruin my machine although I had the surge protector plugged in.
FYI: I also try to always remember to unplug my iron at the end of the day. I read on here that someone had an iron fire before. Although it probably will never happen why take the chance. That's my motto!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:28 AM

Absolutely!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:41 AM

I usually 'try' to remember to unplug my machines and most other appliances. I had a serviceman out once for my frig and he said the computer board on my oven would be around $1000 to replace if it was ever to be affected by lightening. We try to remember to flip the switch if we are expecting a bad strom. (just an fyi)
Old 06-06-2014, 03:35 AM

I have everything in my sewing room plugged into surge protector. My machines are plugged into a battery backup with a surge protector. I also unplug my machines & iron when they will not be in use for a period of time.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Yep, I use one on my machine. I also have one that I have a floor lamp and my iron plugged in to it. This one is located by the entrance to my area. I switch it off when I am leaving the room so I know my iron is off. If the lamp is on, the iron is on. Keeps me from forgetting to turn off my iron when I leave my room.
This is what I do too. Even though my iron has an auto off I don't like it plugged in when I'm not in the room. A quick flick of the switch on the surge protector turns off two lights I use for sewing and the iron and it's easy to see at a distance if things are on. In Florida we have a lot of lightening strikes and so surge protectors are on many things in the house.