Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine? >

Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine?

Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine?

Old 11-03-2010, 06:28 PM

i bought mine from Joann Fabrics it is a pink one that runs either on battery or plug in and i use mine all the time i love it , have not used my machine to wind a bobbin for the last year and 1/2 it sets right next to my machine and thread holder, i did have a problem with the large spools of thread not staying on the spindle but i just set them in the lid of the winder and they jump around while windind the bobbin but no biggy the thread still winds great
Old 11-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
Originally Posted by gailmitchell
I use the Better Bobbin winder too. I like that it has the telescopic thread lift for winding from cones. I got mine at Joannes with a 50% off coupon. I like it and use it to wind my Pfaff and Juki bobbins..
I'll have to check into the Better Bobbin winder because my Husqvarna Sapphire 870 bobbins are some of the ones that the side winder says it's not compatible with. My older Husqvarna Lily will wind bobbins just fine, but this Sapphire just makes me grit my teeth...it takes forever to "grab" the thread & then it stops 1/2 way through.....

I just got a new Sapphire 855 and it winds the bobbins very sloppy. The sidewinder will not work with Viking bobbins. I used it for my Elna but had to turn the bobbin upside-down. It quit working after a few months use.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:00 PM

I don't think you can get pre-wound bobbins in anything other than embroidery thread. I usually just sit down and wind bobbins until I am worn out before I start quilting. It makes me feel good to look over at my little box and know it is full and just waiting for me to get started. If anyone knows of a bobbin winder that works with the Husqvarna Viking Machines, PLEASE let me know. I have three Vikings and all of them use the plastic bobbins (size L). I think if I could use metal bobbins my winder would have worked. Since I posted the note about gifting my winder to someone a friend of mine came by and asked me what I knew about winders and I told her to take mine home with her and see if it worked for her. I sure hope my winder has a new home that can use her.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:01 PM

They don't work with my Viking Desinger SE, at all! I had to return it.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 PM

I love my side winder and use it all the timel.

Those of you that are using the pre-wounds - what weight thread are you using. I have a whole box of the light weight ones that I use in my embroidery machine. Anybody tried using them for regular sewing or are they just too light?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 PM

I use it all the time when I am sewing. I don't have re-thread the needles all the time. It sits on the end of my sewing machine. You can wind up several bobbins and keep on sewing.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM

I bought one and used it for about a year and then it just died. I want to get another one.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM

I only use the pre-wounds for embroidery and I believe they are 40 Wt. I have used both the 40 Wt. and the 60 Wt. bobbin threads and the end result always seems to be the same with both. I don't think they would stand up to any other kind of sewing, but it would be worth trying to see what might happen.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 PM

use mine off and on - esp when need to rewind a bobbin and don't want to unthread the machine to do it- just hate threading the machine needle - poor eyesight I guess. one machine has a needle threader but it seldom works. have to have needle in just the right position.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 PM

A good investment. I love mine. Makes winding bobbins a snap.