Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use starch? >

Do you use starch?

Do you use starch?

Old 04-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I use Downy wrinkle releaser too. I spray yardage and put in dryer to get out the wrinkles when I don't want to wash it.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:38 AM

I hate starch...

...With a passion.

~ C
Old 04-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Niagara is the brand I use and have no problems with. The trick with any spray starch is to let it set for a few seconds before ironing to avoid flakes. I just made 168 HST with bias edges that would have been a nightmare to square-up if they had not been starched. Starch today is not the same formula as it was many years ago so there is no need to worry about it drawing bugs.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:34 AM

No, I never use starch. It irritates the heck out of my sinuses, and makes my eyes itch fiercely. I don't think that there is a truly 'flake free' starch in the world. Some may be less prone to flaking, though.

I also have to wash my fabrics before I use them, for the same reason.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 AM

Rob, my mom had one of those pop bottle sprinklers! I remember her sprinkling the ironing with water, then whatever she didn't get to got rolled up and put in the fridge in a plastic bag (a few people have mentioned that as well).Wow, that brings back memories.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I haven't used it in the past, but it makes sense for HST or anything with bias. I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Karen
Old 04-16-2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I think there is "starch" that is made from a plant based materisl. - and "sizing" that is made from inorganic substances.

I think of using starch/ sizing on fabric in the same way I think of using scaffolding around a building. Once the item is complete, it should be able to stand alone.

If a fabric is too flimsy/thin/limp to use after washing it without bolstering, I don't use it.
It's not necessarily that the fabric is too flimsy. It helps keep biases from stretching. That can happen with any fabric.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:38 PM

I starch all my fabrics excluding the backings before I cut. I use what we quilters know as "Quilter's Moonshine". I make mine up in a gallon jug and keep it in the fridge down in the sewing room. I use sta flo starch along with the vodka.

Also I just found an old time wooden wringer section off a washer. Mostly all wood. Picked up a galvanized tub to attach the wringer section to so I can wring out my fabrics when I starch. Its tough going when you're starching large pieces of fabrics and I still couldn't wring them out by hand without it dripping all over the place. Now I can use this wringer setup (as soon as I clean and sand it down a little). Will probably make a sock to go over the rollers so not to transfer any marks to the light colored fabrics.

Also I let my fabrics dry completely before I press them. I usually mist them with plain water while I press as it seems to help ease out the wrinkles from wringing them out. With the new wringer setup I shouldn't have so many wrinkles..................hopefully.

Starch is my friend.

Last edited by Snooze2978; 04-16-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

I love using starch. it sets the threads flatly and makes bias edges easy to use. it's the greatest next to the iron.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
It's not necessarily that the fabric is too flimsy. It helps keep biases from stretching. That can happen with any fabric.
I do not use tHe fabric.