Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Want Directions for Multiple Sized Quilts Included in Price Of Patterns?

Do You Want Directions for Multiple Sized Quilts Included in Price Of Patterns?

What is your opinion?

I was listening to an interview with a designer of quilt patterns explain that she has found that many quilter's want directions for multiple sized quilts included with patterns. She went on to say that many quilt designs being sold individually or in books include directions are for just one or two sized quilts.

Okay... "My name is Onalee and I'm math challenged."

I find it personally frustrating to find that many patterns include directions for just one size quilt. With the cost of quilting books and patterns ever increasing, I would like the math done in the the book/pattern to make different sized quilts. So I agree with the designer that was being interviewed, that I for one prefer different options when I purchase a book or pattern.

Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Blog Entries
    I guess I've never really thought about it before. It's never been a big deal to me, if I want it bigger, I simply make more blocks. I can see how having the fabric requirements listed for each size quilt would be helpful, though.

I think to get the most bang for your buck, then multiple sizes should be included in the pattern. The only exception would be if the pattern is one that uses a single jelly roll, layer cake, etc.

Blog Entries
    It has never been a problem for me either. I make more blocks for a bigger quilt and less for a smaller one. The most important thing to me about a pattern is simple written instructions and clear color images. I own't buy a pattern printed with black and white pictures. If the designer is too cheap to print in color then I'm too cheap to buy it.
    Got fabric?

Making it bigger isn't normally that difficult, however I agree that I like to see the option for different sizes in a pattern.

I think options would be nice since the cost of books are higher.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I'm the same as Peckish -- I just add more blocks to make the quilt larger, adjust the border, etc. But having the math done for various size blocks would be nice, too....

I agree having the math done for multiple size quilts would be nice. I think just adding more blocks works in many cases but it also changes the original design on some quilts. I think it would be very nice to have the option of multiple size quilts if possible.
    Sabrina

Blog Entries
    Just as long as they don't market it that you are getting 3 patterns! When in reality it is ONE pattern, in 3 sizes. I hate that - you see "3 bonus quilt patterns" (or soemthing), then buy the magazine to find out it is only one pattern, but in 3 sizes. Ugghhh!!!

But, I do agree that it is nice to have the math done, so you know for sure how much fabric to buy and how many blocks to make, if you want to make it bigger than the photographed quilt.

I agree it would be nice to have the required yardages, for different sized quilts! I'm sure more people would buy the patterns, in that case.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Definitely! Many quilters bypass purchasing patterns because they aren't in the size needed. Eleanor Burns' books have sizes from crib to queen/king, so it's easy to get straight to sewing.

lbc
    Some patterns it is easy to just add more blocks, but there are others that you could only enlarge with more borders. lI think it would be nice to have the extra size options. It would be especially helpful to have the yardage figured for us.

I have purchased a few patterns that give the yardage for the different sizes, and I like that. I may want to make the queen size for my self and my Granddaughter may want it twin size. I wish more pattern designers would do that.

I like having the information for differnet sizes more for the yardage requirements, not because I can't figure out how to scale the quilt up or down on my own. I just made a quilt that I wanted to make bigger than the pattern, and in calculating the yardage myself I screwed up and ordered way too much backing. Could have been worse and ordered too little, but still!!

To whoever said they don't want extra sizes for the charm pack/jelly roll/layer cake type quilts, those are actually the ones I want it for most. Where there is yardage I can estimate what I'll need (if the quilt is going to have 25% more squares, I'll need about 25% more fabric, etc.), but with a jelly roll or layer cake I have a hard time transferring that into an actual increase in what I purchase because I can't wrap my head around thinking about precut bundles in terms of yardage. Especially if I'm buying yardage to fill out the precut, instead of purchasing a whole extra precut bundle, which would typically be WAY more than I'd need!! The quilt I tried to increase and screw up was a jelly roll quilt.

I would like to have the several sizes when purchasing a pattern. Sometimes taking a guess on the fabric requirements , does not work out too well for me.
    In fact , sometimes I purchase a pattern just for the yardage requirements. If I am off and buy just one more yard than needed ... often its equal to the price of the pattern.

I'm for sure a fan of multiple size options. If I'm paying up to $10.00or more a pattern I'd like to have some options!!

Blog Entries
    I do like it to have multi size information. mainly how much fabric required is the help I want. if i am doing scrappy, i usually don't need a pattern. but if i want a certain look in certain colors, buying a pattern is fine with me.

Blog Entries
    It can not be too hard to add the extra information. Clothing patterns are almost all multisized now, knitting patterns tell you how much yarn you need for several sizes, why shouldn't a quilt pattern?

Fabric requirements maybe, directions I don't think need to be included for bigger quilts

Blog Entries
    I agree, multiple size fabric needed would be nice to have. That's one reason I like Terry Atkinsons' patterns.

Blog Entries
    I agree. If I were a confident quilt designer, I wouldn't be buying their books. Sometimes just adding blocks doesn't do it, especially when there is a "tricky" border.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I agree it would be nice to have the required yardages, for different sized quilts! I'm sure more people would buy the patterns, in that case.
    That's what I think. That's why I like patterns like Yellow Brick Road or Turnung Twenty... they have numerous sizes & all the info for them. I like that. Patterns cost too much to have to buy a new one for every size... IMHO.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I love to look at different quilt patterns in various quilt magazines and oh and ah over the designs. Then I read the directions and find that the quilt is too small for even a twin size bed when I am looking for a queen or king size. Often the pattern can't be enlarged by simply adding more blocks. Having the choice to follow the pattern with directions for the size you need would be a bonus! I also like the patterns that show you the quilting stitches on the quilt. I'm not that good yet at quilting but it gives me ideas!

Blog Entries
    I was in a fabric store the other day and they had the labrynth (sp?) quilt on the wall the size of a wall hanging. I loved what colors that they used on it so requested the pattern. When I went to buy the pattern (bed size) they added their own directions for making it the wall hanging size. I thought that was great and decided I would definitely visit that shop more often.
    Kathyj

Surely it couldn't cost the pattern printer/company/designer that much more to include this information! Clothing patterns have been doing this for a long time now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast