Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you work on more than one project at a time? >

Do you work on more than one project at a time?

Do you work on more than one project at a time?

Old 08-19-2018, 06:43 AM

I like to have at least one "spare" project going all the time. I am not one to leave anything unfinished though. If I make a top, I quilt it. If I start something I finish it. Unfinished work is not as satisfying as finishing something.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I always have multiple projects going at the same time. And always have plans beyond that as well, like groupings of fabric set aside with pattern but I have not even made the first cut or dedicated fabric for a quilt but have yet to find the perfect pattern. In progress I usually have handwork, machine piecing and always have completed tops with backing in the que for the longarm, and client quilts too. If I get bored with one project I usually turn to one of the other WIPS but there are times when I start a new one instead. Often I will complete the piecing of the top before I start something else. Then there are times I just need to do a bit of mindless sewing and I have LC blocks for that. I do eventually complete them. I have some quilts that took a good aging of 10 years or more before finally finishing and others that I worked on to the exclusion of all else until I did finish it so I do always get that satisfaction of the finished product no matter how many UFO and WIPs I have going.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:06 AM

Well yesterday I had all the right intentions of working in the sewing room, my hubby had to work all weekend. This is his busy time at work, last year he worked OT for 8 months straight, averaging 60-80 hours a week. Apparently one of the machines went down and he came home 4 hours earlier than expected. I gladly stuffed the things I had gotten out of the sewing room back in. We made the most of the time to spend together and went for a nice walk, visited the tiny little historical museum in town, and then went to Jimmy Johns for lettuce wrapped subs (we are on pretty restrictive diets, that is a big treat).

So I'm about to head back in. I'll take a before picture and will post it if I'm not too horrified/embarassed... I already know (and admitted!) that I can't work in there right now but typically at least I have the work table and desk tops cleared off. That is not the current status. Maybe I'll even count the unfinished tops and take some pictures of them. I'm going on an Alaskan cruise (leaving Friday, won't be back until Labor Day) and need some practice with the camera.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:53 AM

I have more than one project at a time going on. I see that most of the ladies that replied all have more than one project at a time. I didn't plan to have more than one project at a time, it just happened (haha). I also hand piece my 1930's reproduction fabric into Grandmother's flower garden pattern and have been doing that for many years. I agree, as long as we are having fun. Must admit, though, sometimes I'd like to get through some of the projects not completed; it's happening a little at a time. Tend to be hard on myself.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:09 AM

I used to work on one quilt at a time and then things changed!!!! I see something new on pinterest or at a quilt show and I am off and running to get the pattern and fabric to make it. I have UFO's in bins and I really need to buckle down and finish one or 2 of them before I get so far behind that I will never catch up!
Old 08-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I would absolutely love to say yes to that. However, it would be one huge lie.

If I stopped to count my UFO's, I bet there would be a couple of dozen. I have finished a couple of them this year, but then I always get ideas for more....
Old 08-19-2018, 09:25 AM

I have one project going at a time. I hand quilt, so I do not allow myself to start another big project until the current one is completely done (bound). There are times I will do a small project (table runner, placemats) that takes 1-2 days, while working on a big project. My rule is the small project has to be done in 2 days max and everything put away.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:52 PM

Love this topic and seeing I am not alone with multiple projects at the same time. I cleaned up my sewing area this spring, and lost the border fabric for the quilt on the vertical wall that was almost finished.It is still here, somewhere. I have four quilts around my machine to finish asap; and dozens of more ideas to start.

Life has a way of not letting me into the sewing room for the days that I scheduled on the calendar. But I refuse to quilt when my husband of 53 years says that he need me to: whatever he wants me to do. Or maybe my allergies prevent me from sewing. Or my kinfolks who are waiting on me to reconstruct the family genealogy again, since my computer crashed. I am trying to start on that again, like any journey, it starts with the first step.

At this rate, I have enough for three life times. But love to see new fabrics and new ideas, so only the Lord knows when it will cease. Meanwhile everyday is a 'gift', that is way its called 'the present'. So I laugh, love and live every day like I have for 76 years. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is the future, so find the silver lining of this day and enjoy.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
Yes I work on more than one when I get tired of a long project. It helps me to get revived to begin again.
My sentiments, exactly. If this works for you, why not! There are other times when I have more trouble tearing myself away from my project to do things like cook or go to bed at a reasonable time. Just want to get it done.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM

I do one project at a time... start to finish, but that doesn't mean that my head hasn't planned the NEXT project, or that I haven't shopped for fabric or bought a kit of some kind to put in my pipeline of work. I have a spouse and two dogs that need my attention so I try not to scatter myself about when it comes to quilting projects. I try to keep it fun and worthwhile.