Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do your quilts tell you who they go to.?? >

do your quilts tell you who they go to.??

do your quilts tell you who they go to.??

Old 07-21-2011, 05:21 AM

I work the other way - . . If my kids really wanted something particular - they tell me and I create from that - or I make a quilt for a specific purpose or person. I am currently finishing two quilts for sisters (5yo and 7 yo) daughter of one of my best friends- one is pink and princesses and the other is purples and fairies (used Michael Miller fabric for that one) somtimes I need to wait for inspiration - I have two tops to quilt and one wall hanging in process and next it is a new king for the master. Then I have a gazillion ideas floating in my head for where I go next
Old 07-21-2011, 05:33 AM

Yes, in fact just recently, i will relate 2 incidences, fabric speaks to me all the time. 1st was in joannes they had that tube dress fabric 1/2 off, still expensive per inch. i bought the rest of what they had having my mom in mind as she wears sundresses all the time. a few weeks later i find out, shes having surgery on her shoulder, she is scrambling to make clothes, bra, that will be easy to put on since she cant lift her arm, the sundresses r perfect. the gift from the creator working behind the scences was not lost on ither of us..
Im in love with the moda oasis fabric got the charms made a couple quilts needed more yrd fabric got a slew & the stuff is EXPENSIVE, yet i HAD 2 buy this, i did. when i worked with this fabric i kept thinking of my childhood bf Kari & how this fabric was her so dainty & beautiful. she died 8 yrs ago 2 weeks after my husband was killed.anyway i have the fabric, THEN an invite to her daughters graduation came on the mail, i KNEW straight away from this fabric i was 2 make a quilt for her & did. I was also given a LONG time ago a pj gown of karis KNEW it would end up in a quilt, it did, on the binding of karianna's quilt. God IS good.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 AM

I started making a hearts of valor quilt (free pattern from Windham fabrics) with no one in mind. My daughter quickly thought she wanted it; until she saw my trip around the world quilt. Anyhow then it was turning out so nice I thought the first one I'm keeping for myself. Last night I got if mostly put together except for the last border. I had put an extra eagle panel at the bottom so it's longer. I hung it on the wall and all I could think of was my oldest son would love it; He's the tallest of my kids at a little over 6ft. Now it's going to be his Christmas present. Now to figure out the rest of the kids.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:44 AM

Most of my quilts or wallhangings are made with specific people in mind! :D
Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 AM

i start with the person, then i design the project, and then finally i select or make the fabric for the project.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 AM

Always! I create the quilt based a color & pattern that only goes with a specific person. There has been occassions where I have made a quilt with no one in mind. I still have those quilts. My cousin from Dallas/Fort Worth area came to visit me last month and I gave him one of them. So I now have a rule if a family member that has never come for a visit does, they will get a quilt!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 AM

Usually, I'll see a pattern or fabric that shouts someone's name. Then I look for fabric or pattern to use. I rarely make a quilt without knowing who it is for when I start.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Banned

I always make quilts specifically for people, so they know before they are made who they are for!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 AM

Whew! I'm not the only one whose quilts talk to them. Some more than others - once in awhile one will cry because by the time it's done it wants to stay with me.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Its the fabrics that speak to me ""Hey Lady""and I always do what the voices tell me to do :-) I'm working on my defense --just in case its needed :roll: