Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doctor's Office Bonus >

Doctor's Office Bonus

Doctor's Office Bonus

Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
My DH had gallbladder surgery on New Year's Eve but they used staples. I wonder what they use to take staples out? You have me wondering!!
I can tell you for certain sure that getting staples out is worse than the surgery or the rehab. I speak from the experience of two knee replacements. The first time, the nurse told me I ought to have two stiff drinks of vodka before she started taking them out, but since I'm a teetotaler, that wasn't possible. The second time, ten years later, was worse. The air is still thick and blue from all my cussing. froggyintexas
Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM

I too received some nifty scissor/tool gadgets when my hubby had an unfortunate accident. They just offered them to me and no way was I going to turn down such sharp tools!! So nice that they are offering them instead of throwing them away!!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:19 AM

When I had stitches taken out 2 years ago, nurse asked me same thing and when I got stitches out Wed. I had intended to ask and forgot. But, they are nice.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:34 AM

Who knew? Hub may be having a stint put in. Wonder if there will be goodies for me! Should be a bright side to such an aweful occasion.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:37 AM

Back in 2008 I cut my leg on my bed frame and had to have 18 stitches put in. When I went back to have my stitches removed I ask to keep the scissors and tweezers. I find the scissors very useful when I needed to remove seams after I made a mistake sewing a 1/4" seam. They also work great for cutting thread when I do my counted cross-stitch.

I use the tweezers when I need to remove tiny pieces of thread that has been stuck in my bobbin case area, and to remove lent from the bobbin case area.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:19 AM

I have had 2 knee surgery done.when my OP Dr was removing my stitches he just handed them to me. They are the bes tscissors I have ever owed.Use them all the time at my sewing machine.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Pink, having a husband who had this surgery, please find something less severe to get these tools!!!!
Having had the same surgery (TWICE, both shoulders) I agree! If and when you have the surgery, it is very important to follow up with the exercises. Otherwise you will never be able to bend or lift your arms fully. Don't want to scare you but, the exercises will be needed for several months after surgery. But, don't worry, they are easy and quick to do. My last surgery was in May and I have full flexibility in my arm now and have stopped the exercises. It's good to be able to lift both arms over my head and stretch!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 AM

Ha! Great thread! But I have a dilemma--my hubby just had a "hemorrhoidopexy" (they used staples--yikes!) Don't think there will be anything useful to a quilter....
Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by LDB View Post
My husband recently had a surgical repair to his rotator cuff. When we went to have the stitches removed, the nurse used a brand new sterile pair of forceps and surgical scissors. Sadly for those of us who are ecologically minded, these are specifically designed for single use. Rather than simply disposing of these tools, the nurse asked if we had a use for them. Nice sharp pointed scissors with a tip cover and forceps? You betcha I had a use for them. At least for the scissors. Not sure about the forceps. If you have an event where you have stitches removed, be sure to ask for the scissors if the are simply going to be dispose of in the trash.
Been there done that, I cringe when I see all these things disposed of, however my son a Neurosurgeon told me that they fo indeed make these specifically to be disposed of and they are not of the same quality as those things that they used to autoclave. It does make you wonder about our disposable society though.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 AM

Those forceps are great for holding a 1" square of polar fleece. Then use the fleece/forcep combo to get the lint out of your machine.