Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does any one knows where to buy this type of needle?

Blog Entries
    I came across this video about tying a quilt and would like to buy the needle for my next project. Hope some one can help me find the needle:) I searched Google and eBay with out success:(

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=9zqSgU-o57E

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    It looks a lot like an upholstery needle to me. They can be found at any fabric store.

That might be an upholstery needle-I know some the big ones for upholstery are bent. That's where I'd start looking, anyway.

Blog Entries
    Thank you i will do a search for it now. Have a good day:)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats
    That might be an upholstery needle-I know some the big ones for upholstery are bent. That's where I'd start looking, anyway.

Blog Entries
    Thank you i will search now and let you know. Have a great day :)

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    It looks a lot like an upholstery needle to me. They can be found at any fabric store.

Blog Entries
    Searching through Google all i can see so far is semi circle needles. Must go to work now but i'll keep searching. Have a good day every body:)

Years ago when you bought a card of or a set of needles, you got this one with it. It is definitely an upholstery needle. A good thing to get used to for tying quilts but I
    never had any luck using one. You might find on in the notions and fabric department of any store that sells upholstery or sewing fabrics.

Carol J.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Carol i am searching every where for it:)

Quote Originally Posted by Carol J.
    Years ago when you bought a card of or a set of needles, you got this one with it. It is definitely an upholstery needle. A good thing to get used to for tying quilts but I
    never had any luck using one. You might find on in the notions and fabric department of any store that sells upholstery or sewing fabrics.

Carol J.

I found a s curved needle here. Almost but not quite.

http://www.stecksstore.com/servlet/Categories

Blog Entries
    Must go to work but i have saved the link for tomorrow i will search and let you know the result:) have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by 1000projects
    Search doll making needle.

http://clothdollsupply.com/needlesandthreads.html

Is this the one?

I got mine at WalMart , it also had a doll needle in the package. Look at their notions wall by the pins, etc. It was only a few dollars, I use the doll needle to sew buttons thru pincushions.

I think you can get this at JoAnn's . It comes in a pack of asst'd

I have a set of upholstery needles with different curved and large needles. Used them for doll making way back when.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol J.

Carol J.
    This needle doesn't look 'arched' it looks bent in specific places. Looks straight where her fingers hold the needle then it bends for an inch or so and then it bends again at the tip.
    She even calls it a Gaven Easy Tie Needle.
    SUGGESTION: Try changing your topic heading to be more specific. ISO: GAVEN easy tie needle for tie quilting.

Good luck - will watch for answers on where to purchase too.

Blog Entries
    the title of the youtube video is Gaven's Easy Tie . i tried to google the name of the needle including changing the name to Gavin, but nothing came up. she had a couple of questions from viewers about the needle, but there are no answers there. it looks like an extra long upholstery needle that is bent at a 90 degree angle

I've never seen a needle like that, I've seen and have the curved needles and I use them for the quilts I tie, but this one looks even easier. If you find out where to get them, please keep us posted where you found them.

Look in the needlework department of Hobby Lobby or Michaels for a needle with a bent hook on the end. Seems to me I needed that type of needle for a certain project in stitching. Or ask DH to bend the end of a darning needle for you. Might be hard to do but give it a try. I will ask mine to try it. A half inch from the end should do the trick. If the needle is tempered steel, it won't bend.
    We might be onto something here. We tie quilts at our church and a bent needle might work for some of the ladies.

Carol J.

It is a darning needle

In my sewing cabinet I found an old set of upholstery needles, two of them are bent slightly at the end. One is used for repairing upholstery and the other is called a packing needle. Used for sewing the tops of sacks and bags. Made in England and sold for household repairs. Very heavy but I will try them for tying quilts.
    There is also a sailmakers needle, sharp on the end but half of it is flat.
    I am going to look at Hobby Lobby to see if they have these needles.
    I save everything.

Carol J.

I have used the semi circle one that is so easy to find. This bent one looks far easier! Hope I can find one!

Seems to me there was another thread recently with a picture of a needle like this. I'll check.

OK, here is a similar one but she say's it is a machine needle. Don't see how.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152388-1.htm

So I went back and watched the vid again, that needle is definitely bent not curved! I cannot find anything like it! Anyone else had any luck???

That is an upholstery needle. I have bought several sets over the years. They come with a large curved needle, a smaller curved needle, and very long straight needle--probably 3 inches long, and a shorter straight needle. Both straight needles are very thick and have a large eye. I think the package with 4 different sizes of curved needles would do the trick. I'm guessing that she bent her needle herself.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
    That is an upholstery needle. I have bought several sets over the years. They come with a large curved needle, a smaller curved needle, and very long straight needle--probably 3 inches long, and a shorter straight needle. Both straight needles are very thick and have a large eye. I think the package with 4 different sizes of curved needles would do the trick. I'm guessing that she bent her needle herself.
    Sue
    but she specifically calls it the Gaven's Easy Tie... so there must be one out there somewhere

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast