Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anybody get overwhelmed by their stash? >

Does anybody get overwhelmed by their stash?

Does anybody get overwhelmed by their stash?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:04 PM

Of course, it's okay. Everyone has their own styles and habits.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM

I have quite a large stash and decided to organize it...ended up with about 12 large tubs. It did help with the organization with colors ect but one thing that really helped was keeping the "holiday" fabric seperate. I won't use Christmas in July...
The other thing I have done is to take fabric to our local church thrift store...great for them and I like to think someone less fortunate can have some fabric at a cheaper cost.
The bad thing about doing that is I now have about two tubs of ties that I have collected. All are washed, the inside taken out and just need pressing. I will be going through those and probably tossing a bunch unless someone is willing to take them for the shipping cost..
Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 PM

Yes, I am a bit overwhelmed, so I will do some sorting out and will give some to my friend. Also, reorganizing and just trying to use up some, yet I am happy to have it available, as we live rural and nice to have it when I need it.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I can get overwhemed at my stash. When I get the "urge" to go shopping either in person or on line... I just go and spend 5 minutes reviewing my stash and all of the intended projects... urge gone.
Lori, I absolutely must take your suggestion I don't know why I didn't come up with it. My stash and ufo's are out of control. Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 06:18 PM

I guess a lot of us have the same opportunity! My stash can be overwhelming but then I pick out a fabric and then decide what to make with it, pulling out over fabrics to go with it. Now I have several quilt tops and have started working on my FMQ so that I can get those tops finished. A girlfriend ties her quilts and sells them at craft shows. I've thought about it but I'd rather improve my skills and donate later. I do donate some to dog rescue group, but that's it for now. My stash just keeps growing ... and I like it!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM

One of our fabric shops is having a contest - we had to list all of the projects that are unfinished or that we have purchased the fabric for and never started. My list had 140 projects. Each month we take our finished projects to show, - so far I have finished 16 projects from my list. I give myself permission to work on 5 projects at a time. They are in various stages so I can sit at the machine or do hand work at night when watching tv. Before I had my projects listed I didn't know what I wanted to work on next so would spend hours in my room just looking.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 AM

I love the idea of a list, and sticking to it.. it sounds like it really is working.. I am working on four of the same quilts for my office staff, and had to do a baby mat, and then got involved with three swaps, and am rotating through all.. It feels like it is taking forever to complete all, but I won't start anything new until I finish these..
Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
One of our fabric shops is having a contest - we had to list all of the projects that are unfinished or that we have purchased the fabric for and never started. My list had 140 projects. Each month we take our finished projects to show, - so far I have finished 16 projects from my list. I give myself permission to work on 5 projects at a time. They are in various stages so I can sit at the machine or do hand work at night when watching tv. Before I had my projects listed I didn't know what I wanted to work on next so would spend hours in my room just looking.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

My sewing room has definitely been taken over by fabric including 6 bookcases, a floor to ceiling cabinet, a walk in closet with shelves from floor to ceiling, comic book boxes (with fabric on acid free comic boards) and totes under the two tables, a dresser and a 6 foot set of shelves over one of the tables. I keep giving fabric to a good cause and I am not buying any more fabric but it is overwhelming. I am ashamed of myself. A picture of my walk in closet. It is getting a lot more organized but still have a long way to go.
Attached Thumbnails walk-closet.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 AM

I had to take a hard look at my buying habits and decide to change them. For a while, I couldn't find the time to quilt (which of course makes me most happy) so I think I got this attitude that fabric shopping kept me in the game so to speak. But if you're not using it up, it sure can pile up. And those fabric designers sure do their job...tempting us all the time. I've bought 2fat quarters since Dec. 28th. I haven't been able to sew much lately but will find the time soon. I already own my fair share and now I am satisfied with it.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 AM

I am making a big effort to use my stash this year. I buy a panel or a yard of so of a border stripe fabric to use as a panel, but not any coordinates. Then I go through my stash and pick some fabric out that I think works well with the panel. These are usually very simple quilts, but they are also my own design. (I'm sure that most of my designs are not unique to the world of quilting, but that's ok.) Most of these quilts are charity quilts for kids; I really enjoy making them up - they are bright, fast, and I enjoy thinking about the smile on a childs face when he or she picks one of them out. The best part of that is that occasionally I get to see a child pick one out because I volunteer at an outreach program for foster children.

Ladies and Gentlemen, those quilts you donate are appreciated!