Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone curse when quilting? >
  • Does anyone curse when quilting?

• Does anyone curse when quilting?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:50 AM

Yes I say bad words when I have to unsew something but may I recommend Eleanor Burns method of the log cabin... she has taught so many of us how to do the log cabin and it is fast and wonderful... we do these for soldier quilts and everyone that has done them loves doing them.. hang in there!!
    hugs
    quiltinmama
    Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 AM

i only curse when there's no one around. i find a good word or two with the right enthusiasm straightens things right out.
    when i say one word in particular my little cocker spaniel knows i'm upset and she comes over for a love and to give me kisses. almost makes me want to swear more often! LOL, jk!
    Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 AM

Maybe a little under my breath, but I've cried buckets over some sewing project or quilt. i become frustrated and being a determine person, I don't know when to stop...I keep insisting that I willllllll get it right.
    Just more gray hairs...lol
    Finally the project wins and I have junked it only to come back several days or month later and then a AHA. light goes on.
    Will I ever learn....
    rest, enjoy another simple project and a cup of tea..
    Old 05-26-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by apronlady
    I admit it...I lost it; I was alone, so no problem. I had such success on my first quilt and now #2 is a log cabin pattern. I HATE IT! Making 56 blocks with 8 different fabrics and most of them were off. It just isn't any fun and to get aggravated; I'm a comedian not a screamer/curser!

Tell me that the log cabin was too advanced or some other comforting words. I sew too fast, and perhaps this is the problem. At this rate, I'm ready to retire the quilting until it's time when I retire, cause it takes so much time and my patience is waning. It's supposed to be fun, right?
    Do I curse when I quilt? Like a bloody sailor sometimes.
    Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 AM

Whine, whine, whine... No words of comfort here and if you're a comedian you can handle a little heckling. Cursing never helps and it ticks God off so cut it out. Log Cabin is a very easy block, the secret is organization so do all your cutting and line up your strips near the machine within easy reach. Most sewing machines these days have a speed adjustment lever or button, move it back to medium speed (what's your hurry, this is suppose to be fun). Got all !?!?!?!?!
    Don't be discouraged, we've all been there. Settle down, get yourself a cut of tea (no booze), look through a few quilting books, watch a few quilting videos (YouTube's got a million of them) By this time, you should be thinking to yourself "that's not so hard, I can do that"
    OK, so now DO IT. Organize your project and slow down.
    WE WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR NEXT COMPLETED PROJECT.
    We're here for whatever support you need - now get to work.
    :>)
    Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 AM

I've got to the point where I just laugh and know I'll make another doozy on the next quilt.
    I expect to rip something out for every quilt.
    MK
    Old 05-26-2011, 03:27 AM

Not so much cursing, but I do talk to myself alot. BUT when things really go bonkers, sometimes a bad word will slip out.
    Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 AM

Mine was not the blocks but the machine. I'm certain I added a few new words to the dictionary. Think the machine just wanted to rest a while. The next day it worked like a charm. Don't get it---all that energy used for nothing. LOL
    Old 05-26-2011, 03:38 AM

I curse so hard I have to make up words to keep it satisfying.

Two things: first, throw that entire project in a plastic bag and stuff it at the bottom of your scrap pile. It might be years before you find it again, and by then you'll either think it's quaint and try to finish it, or you'll consider it properly filed scraps.

Second, I stopped cursing so much when I stopped machine piecing. I think it's speed that gets me in so much trouble - if I take my time and hand-piece any fiddly bits I'm way less stressed out. I think the noise of the machine does me in a little, too.

Maybe a Log Cabin just isn't your thing. My husband can follow a cake recipe to the letter and still get a giant biscuit - cakes mock him. So he doesn't make *$#&@%# cakes anymore (which is ok because the grocery store does). But he does make a mean stir-fry! Maybe you just need a different pattern, too?
    Old 05-26-2011, 03:55 AM

I used to have kids in my home 24/7 so I trained myself not to use actual curse words. I use a couple of strange ones. "Suck an Elf!" which I picked up from a tv movie that the kids watched constantly. (10th Kingdom) "Slug in a ditch!" Yet another tv related curse, this time one that TPTB used for tv editing of an actual cursing. But my most common one is "You Big Ugly Dog!" I didn't know how much I said that one until my oldest niece asked if that was the name of my computer when I was first learning my photo editing software.