Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else do Block of the Month Clubs? >

Does anyone else do Block of the Month Clubs?

Does anyone else do Block of the Month Clubs?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 AM

I signed up for BOM at my LQS and was not happy with the fabric that I got to do the particular blocks. It seems that they were sloppy when cutting the materials and I never had enough so I quit after the fourth month.
I am doing a free BOM from Craftsty.com that I am having a lot of fun doing. They do not take a lot of time and it easy to keep up with the blocks. Amy is a very good teacher and explains different methods of doing the blocks so you have options.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 AM

I am doing the BOM with Sulabug here on the board and it is great fun! So far, I have been able to complete all the blocks out of my stash, so the cost is nil. I would love to do a "mail order" BOM, but when you figure the monthly charge and the shipping, it makes the quilt way too expensive for my blood!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 AM

I did one, which is mostly finished, but I need to finish it. I hate the colors chosen, and have called it my 'ugly' quilt for a couple of years. I have to iron it, and get it finished. I think I will tie it, I don't care enough about having it done professionally. I have a Thimbleberries one from a couple of years ago, and did a couple of blocks, and now the rest is languishing in a bag somewhere... The fabric is so lovely too... And now I am doing the Craftsy thing. I have sewn one block out of the 6 offered so far. At least with that one, you can decide if you really want to make the bleeping block or not. I can always make a ton of duplicates...

Anita in Northfield, MN
Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I want to do one. Just need to find one I like. Everytime I see a BOM quilt I am crazy about ...it was last year's BOM, etc.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:28 AM

Default Bom

Wow, if anyone wants to just send them to me to get them out of your way, give me a buzz by e-mail and I'll gladly take them off your hands. Ha
Dodee
Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 AM

I use to do them still have several unfinished I to got tired of them would rather do my own thing also hgave you noticed how expensive block of the months has become including gas to go or shipping costs makes one expensive quilt
Old 03-21-2012, 05:52 AM

I stay away from them because I am not really fond of "samplers" and I find them terribly expensive. I cannot fathom taking a full year to make a quilt and really prefer just forging ahead to finish.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 AM

I have done the Civil War Tribute, finished the top but need to pin and I want to hand quilt this one. Finished the top of Patriots & Petticoats. Will machine quilt this one. I am now working on General's Wife and love this quilt. I tend to favor the civil war quilts. I also am doing a batik block of the month but I am just saving this quilt for when I want something different to do. I also have made a few quilts in between in fact I'm trying to finish UFO's. When they are done I will post pictures. I do like doing the block of the month.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:10 AM

I'm right there with you. I joined a mystery BOM at my LQS and I am so far behind I just wish I could quit.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I have done a few, but was very dissapointed, when I discovered some of the fabrics had been changed from the original quilt, because they ran out of the fabric. Was not notifyed either, guess it was that or nothing! My whole reason for doing it in the first place was because I liked the look of the original quilt.
That's my whole problem with BOMs too!! I even have asked at the beginning that if they are going to substitute fabrics I don't want to subscribe. Very aggravating to me!