Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:08 AM

Picking fabrics is my favorite part of quilting. I think if you pick a focal fabric and the pull colors from it for the rest you will find that you are more successfull. Also black and yellow seem to add a pop to other colors. Give it a try and see if it doesn't become more pleasure to shop for fabrics.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
Ten years or so before I actually made my first quilt, I wanted to make a king size log cabin for my bed. I knew the two colours I wanted, knew how the colour values had to be organised, and wanted cream for the centres. I gave up eventually because I just couldn't put seven fabrics together the way I wanted/needed to.

Now I play in EQ and audition fabrics from various websites so I enjoy the fabric selection part of the process. If only EQ could run an automatic cutting machine (the part I dislike) I'd be much more productive!
Too bad you live in Ireland, and I live in the U. S. because I'd gladly cut for you if you would shop for me, lol!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:27 AM

Picking fabric is my favorite part. When I get an idea in my head I will search and search my local shops, online, even when I'm on vacation until I find the right fabric and/or color.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm glad others are like me! Sadly, I'm an experienced quilter, even a teacher, have been quilting for over twenty years, but steadily for the lat 12. I still hate picking out the fabric!
The staff here was willing to help, and tried, its just me that couldn't make the decisions. Okay, my plan is to take some paint swatches with me next time, I have a full spectrum at home so that's easy to do.
Thanks for all your replies, I enjoyed reading each one!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 AM

I love picking out fabric, but my problem comes when I try to put together enough coordinating colors to make a project. Usually I can find 2 of 3 or 4 of 5, but that last one is always the killer. When I really need to line up a group of fabric for a specific project I like to take my daughter. She has a knack for coordinating colors(I think it is her photography background). If she can't help, there are a couple of people at the LQS that are very good, and they know what they have and where it is.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 AM

OMG, I absolutely hate picking fabric. Don't have a degree in color matching for sure. I'd rather pick from collections where I know everything matches and get kits or BOM's. I don't experiment alot at all, but then again I've only been doing this for a couple of years.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:58 AM

I love being in the quilt shops to buy fabric. I bet you just put too much presure on yourself. Pick out one fabric you love, then just add to it but matching the colors in the fabric you love and don't be afraid to be daring and add a "odd man out" fabric. For me the problem is not always finding the fabric, but it is the cost of the fabric. I have had to substitute a less expensive fabric for a fabric I loved because it was $11.00 a yard and that is out of my budget. That is the frustrating part for me and for those that do not have that problem, bless you.

Just go with what makes you happy and it will come together. It ALWAYS has for me. Happy hunting!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:11 AM

When I was a little girl, my mom used feed sacks to make my clothes. When I was older and could sew for myself, the first thing that attracted me to sewing was the fabric you could actually buy in the stores. I love shopping for fabrics. I occasionally have to have a fabric shopping day just to stay sane.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 AM

I love fabric so I enjoy shopping for it. Sometimes I will just get a yard and add it to my stash. I will eventually do something with it! LOL Hey, that's my story and I am sticking to it! LOL
Old 12-03-2010, 06:33 AM

It's not the picking out that I hate, it's the bill at the register!