Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else have a real problem with green?

Blog Entries
    I love green, also, but this thread has made me think... When I was trying to build my stash before retiring, one of the online quilt shops had a sale of 10 different half yard cuts for a low price. They were sold by color. I didn't have much green or orange fabric, so I ordered a set of green and orange. The orange fabric was just OK but the green fabric had some beautiful pieces in it! Problem is, I can never find the right fabric to go with it... Too bad we don't all live close enough to meet and have a "green swap" !
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

My problem with green is I don't like it. I have more blues, purples, bright colors, red white and blue.
    Have a nice day and a safe one too!

Green is an odd color because each green carries hints of other colors in it. I use lots of green but when I get a pile of what some one called "ugly greens", I put them all in one quilt and what do you know they are not at all ugly as one would think. I made a 1600 quilt from greens and have the plans for a forest of paper pieced triangles to whittle down my "uglies" scrap greens pile. I know it will be beautiful in the end. No forest, coppice, thicket or wood lot is ever one shade of green. Ahhhhh, as a Michigander, I just my vistas of trees.

Raising hand... and it is such a lovely color.
    Anita in Northfield, MN

I know what you mean. I had to use green for vines (the quilt in my icon) and had a really hard time finding the color I wanted. For me, this is one of those colors I don't stash- I get what I need and try to use it all!

I have a lot of greens. They come in very handy when I'm making controlled scrappies where each block requires just the right color combination. There's often floral patterned fabric in these blocks with a wide variety of shades of green leaves. I recently completed 20 blocks (ea. 12" sq. finished) for Blackford's Beauty. There's a lot of different shades of green in those 20 blocks. I use a lot of different shades of green for applique, too.

However, I have trouble with yellows and pinks.

Blog Entries
    Heard once to look around you outside at all the different shades of green ... you have light and dark and bright and dull and blue-green (blue spruce) and yellow-green (potato vine) and they all look wonderful together. Have also been told that green is the only color that you can use multiple shades and tones of and have it all work together in a project and I've found, for me, it to be true.

I use alot of greens. I find all colors come in so many different shades. Some shades of colors just seem to not match.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have the same problem with red. Green is my favorite color, so I have lots to chose from. I am not a big fan of red, tho and never seem to have the right shade when I need it, even though I have tried.

How about starting with your stash, use colors that Co
    mpliment them.

my worse color is reds..I think Im color blind when I have to choose colors of red..lol
    Lise

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    Quote Originally Posted by OCquilter View Post
    I think greens are difficult because the blue undertone and the yellow undertones are so far apart. I have trouble figuring which drawer it goes in..blues, beiges, browns or green. I constantly find FQs in the wrong drawer.
    When I am using green I look at the other colors as well. If there are yellows in the scheme, then you need greens with yellow undertones, the same with the blues. If there are reds, it depends on whether it is an orangey red or a bluer red. Try using a color wheel to help figure out which greens to use.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

If you find storing your fabric and into what bin to place it, I might have a solution for you. I had a lot of scrapbook paper when I quit scrapbooking and started quilting. I fold a 12 X 12 piece of card stock in half and wrap my fabric around it, including fat quarters. As long as the fabric fits around the card I wrap it. They are organized on my shelf which is 12 1/2" high and 8 inches deep by color. All the greens are together. There is no deciding which bin it goes in as they are all there. I don't have a huge stash, and don't want one, but I find when I can see all I have at a glance, I use more of what i have, before I go out and buy a specific color to work into my project. Color shades are ever changing from year to year, and sometimes if you are using older fabric, it is hard to match up the new ones to it, especially green. Good luck I have the same problem matching greens.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

Orange Red is a magic color. You can mix all shades of reds from madder to strawberry if you include a bit of Orange red in the mix...maybe there is a magic green too. I sort my out my greens by yellow and black...some greens have a bit of yellow, lime, Kelly, and some have a bit of black, avocado, forest. You can mix all black/greens together with harmony and so also with all yellow greens. Go to the paint department of your local box store and gather up as many green paint chips as you can. Then go play with mixing green tones and tints to your hearts content and you will learn something about color theory. Also if you want a gorgeous mix here is one I have found...lime, avocado, forest greens mixed with dark chocolate brown. I brown is you major color then the greens smile and play nice.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

cwessel, I have your solution to sorting greens. To handle this color you must break it down into its components. Green is a secondary color, ie. it is made up of two primary colors--yellow and blue. Divide your stash greens into blues, yellows and a few true greens. Done, easy! This also provides you with ease of matching to other colors.Choose yellow with yellow, blue with blue, and so on. Simple.Of course then we get into using complementary colors, red and green(opposites on the color wheel--and I strongly recommend that you get a standard artist's color wheel, if you don't already have one. It makes color matching easy.) And that is a whole nother lesson in color theory!
    All that said, green is a color of poor reputation. It is the color of envy, a sin. It is also the color of war and violence--soldiers wear green to be concealed. Think of Sherwood forest and Robin Hood. It is a hue that tends to set off bad vibes in viewers. Every public school and hospital used to be painted that awful shade of green, remember? A bad choice psychologically. I too have a fondness for deep greens and have a huge collection of them. And almost never use them because people just don't want them. I've been considering pairing the greens with other colors to make them read more friendly. End of lesson, I'll go now!

Oh, I love green. That's my favorite color. It's the first color in what ever pattern I'm doing that I look for. There are so many different colors of green that go with everything. Just look outside your window and even in winter, there are a lot of shades of green. I have a hard time with blues. And there isn't a color I don't like.
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

I have "umpteen" shades of green, but I never have the right one and have to go buy new fabric for whatever I am working on. lol

The Chevron pattern from QuiltersCache would look good in shades of green.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Blog Entries
    Exactly! I love many shades of green, but there are many many more! Yellow is the same, but less so. Orange is a tricky customer as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I think there are too many shades of green. The one I might want is never in my stash. I have a problem with orange. I just don't appreciate it. I barely consider it a color. Must have been because I drank too much Orange Crush when I was a child.

Dina

I'm not too fond of green either but thinking of using some kelly green in a runner.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings View Post
    Maybe we should have a "green with envy" challenge. Everyone mails their ugliest green fat quarter to the person next on the list and you HAVE to make a quilt top with the fat quarter to mail back to the original owner of the fat quarter. They can do with it as they wish. LOL

PS I just made this up, but it kinda sounds fun.
    Can we just make a quilt block? Then someone (are you volunteering?) could assemble all the ugly green quilt blocks. Might turn out very interesting. I love green but it does seem to have a broader range than the other colors.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm a "green" person--love most shades of greens. I especially like greens with brights (but not a bright green) or blues, purples, turquoise, other greens, burgandy, tan, grays.... you get the picture! But greens are tricky--someone mentioned the yellow vs. blue undertones. When you look at the color wheel, it's easy to see that green is likely to go toward one of those primary colors unless it's a true kelly green with a perfect blend of both yellow and blue. The key to greens is to make sure that regardless of the value or shade, saturation, or brightness, that you stay with one "type" of undertone--either the yellows or the blues. And when working with other colors, check the color wheel and see which colors go best with the yellow/green vs. the blue/green--usually it means just stepping over a color one direction or the other on the color wheel from where you would like up the true, kelly green for a triadic or quadaic match, etc. For instance, I love a yellow/green avocado green with turquoise--but the bluegreens compete too much with turquoise. and a blue/green looks well with a purple and maybe magenta or orange but clashes with turqoise or other colors close to the greenish/yellow hues. and think about that garden--the dark greens look great with bright rose, yellow or red--but may overpower a light blue or pale violet. I covet the garden catalogs that are coming in the mail right now--I tear out color "swatchs" of ones I like how they blend in the pictures of flowers and greenery. Great ideas!

Blog Entries
    I love green but am like many others and have a hard time finding just the right shade. Went through that today when picking colors for my latest quilt, found all the colors I needed and spent an extra half hour looking for just the right green.

I like green and most of my quilts have green in them - but having said that I spend a lot of time looking for the "right" green.

Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
    Green is an odd color because each green carries hints of other colors in it. I use lots of green but when I get a pile of what some one called "ugly greens", I put them all in one quilt and what do you know they are not at all ugly as one would think. I made a 1600 quilt from greens and have the plans for a forest of paper pieced triangles to whittle down my "uglies" scrap greens pile. I know it will be beautiful in the end. No forest, coppice, thicket or wood lot is ever one shade of green. Ahhhhh, as a Michigander, I just my vistas of trees.
    That's a great idea! I am rethinking my position on the ugly greens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast