Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else LIKE WalMart fabrics? >

Does anyone else LIKE WalMart fabrics?

Does anyone else LIKE WalMart fabrics?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I always shop WM fabrics.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 PM

Yes, I like some of their fabrics and buy when I can.

Let's stick with the question folks. We already know the controversy and that was not the subject. Gets really old.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 PM

I like some of their fabrics but our WM doesn't carry a very big variety. They have really cut back over the years
Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Google Goddess

Hi,

I used to buy Walmart fabric but ours closed up fabric department!

I also live in Indiana. I didn't know Warsaw had a Walmart and has fabric.

I learned something new every day. Thanks again for sharing this information.

I also heard that Wabash, Indiana Walmart carries fabric.

Craftybear

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
I was in my WM (Warsaw, Indiana) a couple days ago. They had a few carts full of A.E.Nathan fabrics, new on the bolt and sealed in shrink wrap. They had the cutest prints. No price yet, but I would be anxious to see what those will be priced. Our fabric prices went up from $2.44 to $2.97 and the $4.44 went up to $4.97. I don't buy much from WM, but there are times when I have seen some really nice fabrics there, and if I like it and cannot see my hand thru it, I will buy it.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DebraK
oh good grief! What is the agenda of these sort of posts? To make people feel bad? To make yourself feel good? I just don't get it.
Originally Posted by wvdek
Yes, I like some of their fabrics and buy when I can.

Let's stick with the question folks. We already know the controversy and that was not the subject. Gets really old.
two excellent points.

i give away 99% of the quilts i make and have sold a few. i have no idea how long any of those have lasted or will last. (i always forget to attach those electronic tracking tags. :lol: ) i DO know that will depend on how well they are cared for.

the two quilts i've kept for myself were both made entirely from walmart fabrics. one faded a bit after a few years. since it now looks like an antique, i don't mind the fade. it has enhanced the look of that particular quilt. the other is used every day and has been washed countless times. it looks exactly like it did the day i finished it.

i hope that those who do not like walmart fabrics will just pass on this topic without comment.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 AM

As with anything else, it depends on the WalMart what fabrics they have. Some are better than others as far as selection and quality goes, both in the fabric department and in the ready made clothing they offer.

Just an isn't it ironic note on this...the one with the really nice clothing lines that ours does not offer, has no fabric and very little craft stuff of any kind, while ours has a fairly large fabric section, as well as a large craft section, but not as much variety in the clothing section.

And the WalMart about 30-45 miles north has different fabric selections and additional fat quarters that are better quality than the ones on the other side of the fabric department. Plus they have a big what I'd call fabric bonanza in the spring with extra tables set up and all sorts of bargain fabric. I bought 10 bolts of fleece at $3 a yard last year...the really nice stuff that is almost double weight.

No matter where you shop, you have to know what you're looking for.

And just a note on antique quilts...many of them were made with whatever was at hand, not all of it even in a single quilt being of the same quality.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Power Poster

I have bought many yards of fabric from Walmart with very few problems. My disappointment is my town open the latest greatest-they think-WalMart and they no longer carry fabric. I really miss their fabric/craft department.
Remember generations before us had no big fancy stores to buy fabrics and we pay a fortune now for those "antique" quilts.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Banned

I have seen the same identical fabric in LQS that Walmart carries for a much higher price. It all comes from the same place.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:51 AM

Maybe it's time that we all make a pact not to continue the ever-popular Wal Mart vs LQS fabrics argument. We can agree that some of us are okay with WM fabrics, and some of us aren't, and that's the way it is. So let's 'zip it' as Kelly Bensimon of Real Housewives of NYC likes to say.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Ours always has some really cute animal prints, ao I always at least check the fabric dept. I buy all over too, but with this economy more at rummage sales lately, lol!