Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone ever feel guilty..... >

Does anyone ever feel guilty.....

Does anyone ever feel guilty.....

Old 11-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Our quilt class teacher is also a judge at the local fairs she always says two things nice, before she says something critical. Like your points match: your colors are soothing but your binding corners need a little practice. I think shes wonderful and offers which classes would benefit 'the receiver' of years of quilting experience.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
Our quilt class teacher is also a judge at the local fairs she always says two things nice, before she says something critical. Like your points match: your colors are soothing but your binding corners need a little practice. I think shes wonderful and offers which classes would benefit 'the receiver' of years of quilting experience.
Wouldn't that be a great adage to take into our 'real' lives? Imagine how well people could get along with this example!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Guilt is a wasted emotion - sucks your energy and gives you nothing.
Everyone has different tastes. What appeals to you may not to another.
Thank goodness we are different - otherwise all our quilts would look alike!
Reading your response just put a picture in my head of logging on to the QB and opening post after post in the picture section and seeing the same quilt over and over.

I am so glad we all have different tastes and ideas. I'm also glad everyone here enjoys sharing their ideas because as I see more quilts, I feel my horizons are broadening. I have looked as certain styles of quilts in the past that did not appeal to me. However, I often will see another quilt of the same style but made with a different color combination, laid out in a different way, etc., and suddenly, I really become more interested in that style. For instance, when I first saw a bargello quilt, it didn't appeal to me because, I thought, I like more traditional patterns. However, I fell in love with the ones made using Barb_mo's tutorial and I have made one top already with another in progress. After thinking about it, I believe it is because I like a more symetrical pattern...but that may change also at some point.

I guess quilts are a lot like people. There are some we just don't care for, but someone in the world loves them.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
Does anyone ever feel guilty like me when you are looking at a quilt that's not your style, or you don't like something about it and you don't just ooh and aah over it as a result? I really seriously do appreciate all the work that goes into it, I honestly do, but sometimes I don't care for the design, or the colors, or it's too busy, or.....the list can be endless.
I've seen a few quilts that I didn't like the color combination. Some colors I think are kind of hard to pull of together. Like yellow and blue. Green and red are extremely hard to pull off (in my opinion) without making it look like something out of a quilt catalog with all the patterns and fabrics for the Christmas/seasonal lines. Pastels---I just don't believe in making a quilt with nothing but pastels (even baby quilts) and I think they need to be paired with a darker color for good contrast. Sometimes I do that even before the fabric has even been made into the quilt. Like the jellyrolls and such: they're supposed to be made up of "coordinating fabrics", but half the time I'll look at one and go "where's the coordination?"

But at the same time, I can appreciate the time and work that's gone into it even if I don't like the pattern or colors or both. The important thing is that other quilters see the work that goes into it and not go on an all-out bash on the quilt. I think too many times we've heard horror stories about someone going to a quilting guild, showing the work they're proud of, and getting "critiqued" to the nth degree because it didn't suit the tastes of everyone else in the room and they feel terrible about ever making it in the first place.

Quilting is an art form and not every quilt ever made is going to make everyone go "Ooooh! I love it!" so I don't feel guilty for not liking something. On the other hand, I'm not going to endlessly go on a hatefest on someone else's quilt because I hated the colors, the patterns, or something else I didn't care for because that might turn off another quilter to the art form. And that would make me feel guilty.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 AM

I don't feel quilty. Quilts are art and there are so many different arts, and I don't like them all. I do apreciate the work and thought that goes into it. Some times that's the actual beauty. I have a friend who painted a picture for me, a unique style. One of a kind. I love the fact that she took so much thought for mine, however the painting itself is not something I would have spent a dime on. It hangs in my sewing room with all the other "made with Love" stuff.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 AM

nope.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

For example: I think Caryl Bryer Fallert's workmanship and design are truly amazing but I do not like her quilts at all. I wouldn't want to make one or buy one like it. She deserves to win art quilt awards for her quilts and I don't feel guilty for not liking her quilts. I pass on by most art quilts in shows. They all swirl together and look the same. I like pictorial quilts but quilts like the ones designed by Judy Martin gets my ooohhhs and awes.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I cannot associate the word guilt with not liking something.
The only purpose guilt has ever served me is to learn from it and move on. It's a real waste of time and energy to feel that emotion in my opinion.

I also agree with the others. If we all made the same things it would be very boring indeed! :D
Some great works of art are not my taste but I appreciate the art, no matter what it is.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:01 PM

That is why there is so many different variations of everything. You don't feel guilty because you don't like a painting, a shirt or a couch. You like some and not others. The same go for quilts. There are many styles and you like some and not others. You appreciate the work that goes into making them, but that doesn't mean that you have to try to make them. You have your style and that's what you like and feel comfortable with. No need to feel guilty about that.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM

No guilt-just a learning opportunity. When I first started quilting I did the traditional patterns in traditional calicoes then branched out into more modern patterns and fabrics. Now I find I'm drawn again to the traditional patterns made with modern fabrics. Things I dislike or like are constantly changing. Am I growing as a quilter or just schizophrenic LOL???