Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone have this ironing board? >

Does anyone have this ironing board?

Does anyone have this ironing board?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:58 AM

Had one simular but got rid of it. Too shakey and just wasn't what was needed here.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 AM

For that kind of money, get yourself a piece of plywood (usually cut free at the home supply) big enough to fit on top of one of those $40 fold-up WalMart tables. Then, invest in a set of 3/5/8" risers (again from WM) and get the height and sturdiness you want.

Line ironing side of the board with aluminum foil and start with your batting layers (over the edge too), cover, and you're on your way.

I sew apparel as well and simply use (make my own) dressmaker's ham and/or padded tubes for those curved seams and smaller areas that need a special pressing during construction.

All in all, by the time you pay the $70-odd bucks, tax and shipping (or gas to get it), you're coming out about the same and you'll be lots, lots happier with the bigger set-up.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 AM

Reviews on it were totally negative.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:12 AM

Here is a tutorial to make your own Big Board:

thequilter.blogspot.com/2008/big-board-tutorial.html

Pay special attention to the underside. You do not want to eliminate the wood frame underneith that holds the Big Board snug to your standard ironing board.

OR, if you are not good with "man tools" (like me), you can order one made out of birchwood at:

allbrands.com

This Big Board expands your ironing service to 22" X 59". This site offers free shipping in continental US. I think Nancy's notons sells it, too, but you'd have to pay shipping if you ordered from them.

No, I'm not in the business of promoting the Big Board. Just trying to help out. I've made alot of foolish purchases in my years of quilting, but this has proven to be one of the best investments I've made beside my Pffaf and Bernina:-)

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
For that kind of money, get yourself a piece of plywood (usually cut free at the home supply) big enough to fit on top of one of those $40 fold-up WalMart tables. Then, invest in a set of 3/5/8" risers (again from WM) and get the height and sturdiness you want.

Line ironing side of the board with aluminum foil and start with your batting layers (over the edge too), cover, and you're on your way.

I sew apparel as well and simply use (make my own) dressmaker's ham and/or padded tubes for those curved seams and smaller areas that need a special pressing during construction.

All in all, by the time you pay the $70-odd bucks, tax and shipping (or gas to get it), you're coming out about the same and you'll be lots, lots happier with the bigger set-up.
:) :)
Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 AM

I have a large Rowenta that I am very pleased with. Bought it at Walmart on clearance for $5.50. Best buy of the year and I've had it now several years, its a workhorse.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 AM

I think I have the best solution for ironing fabric and quilting pieces. I bought a "deeper" drawer dresser off Craigs list and my hubby cut me a piece of wood to sit over it. I covered it with the batting and the silver cloth for ironing with. Then he attached it to the dresser. I now have storage galore and the right height for me ironing surface with plenty of room to open out my fabric and iron.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM

In my opinion, the feedback on this is very important and I would not buy it. Most of the quilters I know are happy with "homemade" tables that top their regular ironing boards or, like me, have the extra-wide (18") board with attached iron support. ;-)
Old 12-15-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
where did you see the reviews?
Click on the link, and you'll see reviews on the left side of the screen. Three reviews . . . all unhappy customers. After seeing that, I wouldn't buy it.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 AM

I would go for one of these rather than that ironing board. I don't like the iron holder as it would get in the way of any type of ironing.

1] find a good 4 point ironing board as it usually is more stable.

2] if you are wanting something for quilting only then find someone - or diy - make your own presasing surface out of exterior plywood and batting and teflon material [available from Joann's]. This way you could make it as big as you wanted or fit it on top of a table, ironing boare, cabinet, or whatever.

My ironing board was recent replace by one I found at an estate sale. I love this new to me ironing board as it is more stable.

ali
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM

Noo save your money. You can make a much cheaper one in a better size with just plywood, batting, heavy cotton and a staple gun. One about 18" X 60" is a good size, or you can make any size you want. Use the search function and you'll find just how to do it.