Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone know what this pattern is? >

Does anyone know what this pattern is?

Does anyone know what this pattern is?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM

I just googled "braided star quilt block" and found this link among others. Some very neat and interesting quilt designs.

http://pinterest.com/emedoodle/quilt-blocks-to-try/
Old 04-16-2013, 03:56 AM

I don't know the name but it is lovely, sweet and could use any scrappy combinations one has in their stash. I will keep watching for the name and perhaps a location of the pattern. My guess it is hiding on some website or maybe even in one of my books at home.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 AM

LyndaOH, thank you for the pattern. I can take it from this point,..... I think.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Shoofly1 View Post
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...3tnwg60_12.jpg

I would love to make this pattern. Do you know what it is or where I can find it? thanks.
Yes, I am pretty sure I have saved all the photos and even a tutorial. Let me go looking to be sure.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
Don't know what it is called. I would call it a braided star. The center of the quarter square that looks braided would be constructed like a log cabin block, then the half square triangles added on the other corners.

I would start with a 3.5" square, add sides (on 2 sides) with 1.5" strips, then use half-square triangles that would finish at 3" (is that 3 7/8" squares cut diagonally?). That would give you 1/4 of the block. That 1/4 block would finish at 6" (should be 6.5" before sewing to 3 more blocks).
I got excited when I saw the photobucket block and thought, "I have saved that tutorial in my files somewhere. I will just go find that and share it."

Wrong! The file was not on my hard drive, but it was in DropBox. Somehow it got corrupted and will not open for me. Anyway, I remember another thread about this same quilt block and top that was being sold on Etsy at that time. Now it is on Ebay, but I am not able to find the tutorial I thought I saved.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 AM

I seen one on a site that looked like that pattern and it was called a scrapy star. Put star quilt blocks in search nd it may come up for you, also try scrappy star.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 AM

It looks like a variation on a log cabin block...you use 4 of them to make the star.
You would use EQ to figure out placement for the white triangle area, but what I would do is make the log cabin block, cut the same size white square as the center and draw a line diagonally through the square (this is your stitching line)....now, lay this on the log section, matching the two raw edges...sew on the diagonal line, open out and test. If it's right, the opened out part will match the raw edges...now is the time to adjust your stitching until the opened out part matches the raw edges...then you can trim off (like you would doing a snowball block).
Not necessary, but... before trimming, I'd measure out about 1/2" from that sewn diagonal seam (towards the raw edges), and sew another diagonal seam. cut apart between the 2 seams...you end up with some small half square triangles...these would be perfect in the sashing, or border of the quilt...or a matching pillow, etc.

If you don't have EQ, draw it out on graph paper.

Originally Posted by Shoofly1 View Post
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...3tnwg60_12.jpg

I would love to make this pattern. Do you know what it is or where I can find it? thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM

It is the braid pattern, made into a star block. I just saw this the other day, but can't remember where. If I remember I will let you know.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

First of all it's a beautiful block and quilt. I would go to quilterscache.com and you may find the answer there.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 AM

This is the first time I have asked a question here. What amazing replies! I had it all backwards and was trying to figure it out starting from the center of the star. I believe I will now draft my first quilt block (for a baby quilt) using GrannieAnnie's simple instructions and the tutorial from DebLuvsQuilting. I'll keep watching to see what other helpful ideas might be posted. You guys are awesome!