Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone make a quilt using gingham ? >

Does anyone make a quilt using gingham ?

Does anyone make a quilt using gingham ?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
Wow, I went back and looked at the "Chicken Scratch" red gingham quilt and it was like Dejavu!! The very first quilt I ever made was a red and white gingham with chicken scratch hearts in the center of each block. I was for my first granddaughter and she is now 27 and still has the quilt. It has been "well loved" but still hanging in there.
It's lovely isn't it? I've wanted ta do this for quite a while! It's way back on my mental list of things that I want ta do!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by mem View Post
I made an all-gingham quilt in 1980 when I was expecting our first child. Both our babies used it and my daughter used it with her two kiddos. It's still in use, but mostly as an oversized doll quilt now . Obviously that gingham has held up well!

See Bonnie Hunter's post today for pictures of quilts made from Dan River Mills gingham http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...ver-mills.html
Just finished reading this and it was fascinating! Highly recommend it! Thanks, mem, for posting it!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mem View Post
I made an all-gingham quilt in 1980 when I was expecting our first child. Both our babies used it and my daughter used it with her two kiddos. It's still in use, but mostly as an oversized doll quilt now . Obviously that gingham has held up well!

See Bonnie Hunter's post today for pictures of quilts made from Dan River Mills gingham http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...ver-mills.html
Thank you for giving us Bonnie Hunter's blog, it was really interesting. I love gingham, even put it in one of my first quilts 17 years ago. But now that I use 100% cotton, I was concerned. Guess all of you assured me that I can make a quilt out of it. I have so many colors, it will be a very colorful quilt.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:10 AM

I have made a few quilts with gingham, one of them was a baby quilt with a large border.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 AM

I have made baby quilts with gingham back in the 80's and 90's...If you sew the seam well, you shouldn't have any issues...or maybe make it a bit larger seam allowance. My niece still has her quilt that was made in '82 or '83...it hasn't frayed. The only issue was with an applique that frayed.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:58 AM

I have a twin size gingham top made using small checks of different colors. I plan on hand quilting it next after I get my frog quilt finished and off the frames. It will be a beautiful cool looking summer quilt for this Summer. I will use it like a comforter.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:02 AM

When you said gingham the first thing that came to mind was the link from a couple days ago that showed a french braid quilt made out of plaids. That would be cute to make from gingham. Or the "coin" quilt.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I have collected all colors of gingham which I got shopping at my various thrift stores. Yesterday I cleaned out my sewing room and wondered if I was saving them for nothing. Since they are not 100% cotton, I wonder if they will fray when repeatedly washed in a quilt. I have many really old quilts but I don't think they have gingham in them either. Do any of you quilters here on the board use gingham ?
The most durable quilts I have made--held their color and haven't frayed, are made of blends, 65 % cotton, 35% polyester. I made quilts from gingham for babies and the babies are now in their 40's and their quilts are going still going strong. froggyintexas
Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 PM

My Mother made my daughter one with all gingham checks with the Parasol Girl Pattern. My daughter just started using it again (she is now 40) and I had her check it over and there isn't a thing wrong with it. So yes you can! Make a beautiful colorful quilt.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 PM

You don't have to make quilts out of 100% cotton. Other fabrics are just not as forgiving. I think a gingham quilt would be really cute.