Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone quilt in sections/ >

Does anyone quilt in sections/

Does anyone quilt in sections/

Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by sananddandy
I have Marti Michell's book about quilting in sections but have never tried it. On larger quilts it looks like it might be easier when using a home sewing machine. Has anyone done it? Is there a tutorial on it? This is not QAYG. Thanks for the info.
I did one large quilt following her book for directions. It worked fine and the finished product was fine--It does involve quite a bit of hand sewing when you put the pieces together--the backing is hand sewn as the sections are joined. I encourage you to try it.

I just found that the quilting part was not my cup of tea and I tend to send my big quilts out to a LAQ--I am blessed with one who is very reasonable in her prices and has short turnaround time.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by sananddandy
I have Marti Michell's book about quilting in sections but have never tried it. On larger quilts it looks like it might be easier when using a home sewing machine. Has anyone done it? Is there a tutorial on it? This is not QAYG. Thanks for the info.
I have tried it on a small quilt, just to get the feel of it, I think it's easier. You just have to have a plan of stitching. Not nearly the bulk of the other way. I did a quilt a little bigger than a twin and quilted that the normal way and then I quilted on a twin using the cutting in third way and it was much easier as I don't seem to have a lot of clearance under my sewing arm. I think I'm going to like it a lot! Time will tell.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM

This is a large queen size that I did in sections. After machine quilting each section I butted up the edges and did a zigzag stitch then sewed the black strips over the zigzaged seams to cover the stitching.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-179368.jpe   attachment-179369.jpe  
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Glad to see positive remarks taking a class later this month
Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by masufa
This is a large queen size that I did in sections. After machine quilting each section I butted up the edges and did a zigzag stitch then sewed the black strips over the zigzaged seams to cover the stitching.
That is a stunning quilt! I really like the colors. Not girly at all! :D
Old 04-04-2011, 05:22 AM

Yes, I FMQ or quilt in sections. I try to separate it into qtrs. Finishing a qtr at a time. Sure works for me. Keeps from wrestling the darn thing all over the table...