Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use the button for sewing?

Wow, I thought I'd been around sewing machines for a long time, but I've never seen a knee lever power control....and I learned on a treadle. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I actually think I would like that the best.[/quote]
    Wish I had them now--much better than the alternatives!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    My baby Lock grace has that feature I got that machine for my 6 year old to learn to quilt on.. She uses the button, too little yet to reach the foot petal.. lol..

I don't use the knee control to lift the presser foot either. I have two still wrapped in plastic.

Blog Entries
    I use my foot pedal for piecing and the start/stop button when I attach strips and quilt. I back tack when I piece and it is just easier to do that with the pedal. I probably don't need the back tack, some habits are just hard to break.

I've never used the start/stop button. I don't think I'd like it as I like to keep both hands on my work and also I like to be able to adjust the speed as I sew, if I need. I have learnt to use either foot though, which is handy if I want to use the knee lifter for the presser foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    No I have never used mine other than for embroidery & I don't know why. I guess it's all in what we get use to? I will have to give it a try
    Same here

My Brother has this feature, at 1st I only used it when I was embroidering, but depending on what I'm doing I use it and have found it very handy. Of course, it took some getting used to.

My sewing machine has a start-stop button. I LOVE it. So much easier than having to press with my foot which sometimes makes it go too fast or too slow then stops where you have to move the wheel. That is aggravating. Yep, I like the button best. :)

I have never tried mine, but think I will soon!

I use the start/stop botton all the time, the print is worn off and that is what I used when I decided to teach myself FMQ It sure helped me.

Blog Entries
    My button only works with the embroidery feature. However, I recently invested in a new light which has helped my back. I find I don't lean into the machine to see what I'm doing. It was $ well spent. Hummmmn. Wonder if I could write it off on my taxes under health expense? Matter of fact, all of the quilting expenses - it's my mental therapy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    Quote Originally Posted by bstock
    I have the button on my Brother. I just never took the time to figure out how to use it.
    Unplug the foot pedal, push button to sew, push button to stop. :thumbup:
    I have Vikings and you can use either foot pedal or button interchangeably. I use the button for some things, if I am stitching a long row of fancy stitches. But I still like the pedal. As far as the knee control, my mother's old Singer from the late 30's had a knee control so I was used to that growing up. But when I had to get a new motor and pedal for it I can't use the knee control any more.

Thank you.

I am always looking for that foot pedal. now I will try that button.

The stop/start button is great for FMQ. Set your speed at a medium speed and it remains constant.:-)

I have never used the foot pedal on my Brother. And the arrow on the button is wearing off from my fingernail poking it so much LOL

Never so far

I have always thought the button might be difficult for me to control since I have to reach for it.

Is that a problem for anyone?

I have one on my Janome but I don't use it to piece. If I need to adjust the fabric while I'm piecing, I want to be able to slow/stop the machine without taking my hands off the piece - even for a second.

I always use mine. Set the speed slow, and use some scraps to get used to it, you will be so glad you did.

I love the button. However, I wish I could remind my foot that it doesn't have to reach for the pedal (which isn't even there) :)

I first used the button on my Janome when I had a joint replaced in my toe...funny the things that will get us to try out something new to us. No sewing was harmed by that surgery!

I sewed on my mom's Kenmore as a teen and it had the knee pedal rather than foot pedal. Years (lots of years) later a knee lift on my Bernina confused my brain a bit, I'd press the knee thing and the foot would go up while my brain waited for the machine to go I guess! I was laughing and laughing until my body got more used to what to expect.

Blog Entries
    Do not have one but someday when I upgrade I will try it. I have learned to adjust my foot pedal several times during my sit down and that helps.

The button was one of the reasons I chose to purchase a new machine. My back was hurting from sitting at an angle to reach the foot pedal. The new foot pedal is still wrapped in plastic in my fabric closet. Took me only a few mins. to get used to this wonderful convenience!

I bought the Janome 7700. Since I moved in December I have not used the foot pedal, only the start/stop button. I'm really liking it. Like you, I haven't had any back or leg pain since.

Blog Entries
    I used to have a Brother machine with a start/stop button and I absolutely loved it, it took me for ever to get used to not having it when I got my new machine.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast