Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use the button for sewing?

My machine doesn't have a start/stop button. I wish that it did. Maybe the next machine that I purchase will have such a fantastic feature. My only remedy for the back pain is to stop and go lay down for about 20 minutes then walk around the yard for 10 minutes then go back to sewing. Jeanniebelle

I have just started doing this. I love it. The only problem is I feel I have to anticipate a stop just a little bit faster! However, for some reason I seem to keep a more accurate 1/4 inch seam allowance, go figure!

I use the button all the time on my Brother and I like the knee lever that raises the presser foot

i love that feature on my Janome, esp. for classes as it is one less thing I have to bring.

I use the button all the time but I'm really thinking of going back to the foot pedal. I don't like to have to take my hand off the fabric to push the button. It always seemed I had more control with the foot pedal.

My decorative stitches are more even on my Bernina if I use the button.

I'm convinced..the next time I go to sew I will try the "button".

I have never used my foot pedal yet either. Hope I never will. I use my start/stop button for everything I sew. Love it! :)

Blog Entries
    Use it for different applications. I like it for FMQ but I am new at it (FMQ) and the 7700 Horizon so I'm somewhat tense. I don't always know where I am going. LOL

Blog Entries
    learned on treadle then knee lever then footpedal where the knee lever raised the presser foot (the first ten minutes of that was fun)now regular foot pedal but occasionally i will position it where i run it with my knee (sitting on the floor) or even my elbow if set up in close quarters...if you really want to sew you can sew anywhere !!!!

I have one and I use it frequently. It is a VERY NICE feature... I love it! I too learned on an old singer with the knee control and when I shooped for my new machine I almost bought the brother that had the knee control on it but it was pricy... I bought a brother embroidery machine and I love the button control feature... was a litle afraid at first of the button and I did forget to push it and was searching for the foot control instinctivly but no biggie I got use to it fast...

I've tried it on ocassion. I guess old habits die hard and I prefer using the foot pedal most of the time. It's good for you that it helps with back pain and I hope I can remember that if I start having back trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I think that would get some getting used to for me. I learned on the knee leaver & adjusted to the foot petal, but I would think you would have less control if you have to let go of the fabric being sewn to push a button.
    Wow, I thought I'd been around sewing machines for a long time, but I've never seen a knee lever power control....and I learned on a treadle. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I actually think I would like that the best.
    I sewed on a friend's machine for a period of time and that machine had a knee lever. Took a while to go to the foot pedal as I kept moving my knee. That is the only machine I have ever seen a knee lever on.

Blog Entries
    sitting in a chair kills my back....i have all three machines on high counters so i can stand...the foot pedal stays put.....having the serger up high makes a mess unless you have a trash catcher close by

LOVE LOVE LOVE the button!
    David

Blog Entries
    I like the button when I take my Brother to class. But mostly I love my Kenmore that I taped/stapled the foot control to the side of my sewing table so I can use it with my knee! Go figure. My daughter loves the button. Also the fact that you can adjust the speed so it doesn't run away with her when she starts sewing.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    I learned on a Singer with a knee control and my Dad fixed my Singer once it was put in a cabinet to have a knee control. My new Brother has the stop/start and also a speed control so it does not take a lot to use it. My right leg is disabled and I cannot get my left foot to mind me so I like the stop/start.

Banned
    Wow, I have had my Elna 7200 for about four years now and never knew I had this feature! LOL
    Anyway, I wanted to ask, can you use the reverse button with the start/stop button for backtacking? In other words, once I press the start/stop and I start moving forward, can I press reverse while it's running? I can't imagine why I couldn't, but my manual doesn't address this and I'm always one to err on the side of caution, so I was just wondering if any of you have done this. Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneG
    Wow, I have had my Elna 7200 for about four years now and never knew I had this feature! LOL
    Anyway, I wanted to ask, can you use the reverse button with the start/stop button for backtacking? In other words, once I press the start/stop and I start moving forward, can I press reverse while it's running? I can't imagine why I couldn't, but my manual doesn't address this and I'm always one to err on the side of caution, so I was just wondering if any of you have done this. Thanks!!
    I usually push the button to stop, then hit the reverse.

I only use the one on my Janome when machine quilting.

I don't use mine for piecing but I use is for decorative stitching and for fmqing.

LOVE the Brother button ----- use my thumb and my fingers can stay put!

Great idea!

After reading the board here I started using the start/stop button on my new Janmome 2160. My neck and shoulders say "Thank You!" to all of you!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have not managed using the start button successfully. It requires planning because the hand needs to leave the fabric and hit the button at the correct time. Sorry - not that coordinated.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast