Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use the button for sewing?

Super Member HummerGardenCrafts's Avatar
    I've never saw a machine like that. I have foot pedals on all of mine.

Yes!!!!!!!!! I love it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have used it a few times, but what I tried and really like is adjusting the speed....I can slow down or speed up depending on the project and it really makes a difference in the quality of the stitch. Like meandering...I am just learning and I have better control if I slow it down instead of trusting my foot to go slower.

I use the start/stop button mostly when free motion quilting on my Janome 6600P. Don't have the feel for using it on all sewing just yet, but sure I
    will get there as I really enjoy this feature. I have long fingers so it is convenient.

Blog Entries
    I took a class at the LQS and the instructor told me to use the foot pedal. She said that it left too much room for error if I was always taking my hand off the fabric to push the button. Since I was (still am) new to quilting I thought that it was the 'right' way to do it. Thanks for all your comments, I'll have to try it again.

I have a button on my Singer and love it.

Blog Entries
    I have an Elna and I always use the button.

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    Wow, I thought I'd been around sewing machines for a long time, but I've never seen a knee lever power control....and I learned on a treadle. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I actually think I would like that the best.
    Wish I had them now--much better than the alternatives![/quote]

You know those first electrified machines after treadle machines? Those ones in a cabinet? They still kinda looked like treadle machines. They often had knee controls, they were funny kind of curved clubby ones.

I love my start/stop button.. I dont even miss that foot pedal!!

I have 2 Brothers and never used the foot pedal. I have used a knee pedal before, I like anything better than the foot! But get more control with the buttons.

i have a start/stop button on my elna quilting queen, but i only use it when i am machine (free motion) quilting or doing machine applique...havent tried it for anything else.....gina

Quote Originally Posted by redeagle
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I think that would get some getting used to for me. I learned on the knee leaver & adjusted to the foot petal, but I would think you would have less control if you have to let go of the fabric being sewn to push a button.
    Wow, I thought I'd been around sewing machines for a long time, but I've never seen a knee lever power control....and I learned on a treadle. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I actually think I would like that the best.
    I sewed on a friend's machine for a period of time and that machine had a knee lever. Took a while to go to the foot pedal as I kept moving my knee. That is the only machine I have ever seen a knee lever on.
    The old Singer cabinets have a place inside where the foot pedal fits. When you push the knee lever it pushes on the foot pedal to make the machine run. I have 2 different styles from the 50s. My mom's kenmore had a knee lever in the 60s.

When I bought my Babylock Ellisimo I got so used to using the button that now whenever I switch to another of my machines I find myself punching the air where the button is supposed to be! LOL

I only use the button on my brother. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I don't don't use the Stop/Start button for regular piecing. I like to start slow and then pedal to the metal. If you use the button you can't control your speed easily. But, it's a handy feature for some people.
    My Brother has a speed control right next to the Start/Stop button. I just love this feature. You can move the speed control to real slow, then move it up as you go. I usually sew with the speed control on the middle level. Rarely have I every sewn at the fast speed. I put my foot pedal away. Always use the Start/Stop button.

I have a Euro Pro and only use the button.
    I can control my speed and do more accurately quilt.
    Just love it!!!!!!

Yes, I use mine when quilting when I am not starting at the edge of the fabric. It will tie a neat knot in the thread so you don't have to worry about unraveling. It is great! I have a Viking 500 and just rediscovered this feature after several years.

My Janome 6600 has one but I just don't seem to be able to get the hang of it. Probably something to do with old dogs and new tricks.

I use my foot pedal exclusively on my Babylock Qwest. Am probably the only one in my group that does. love it!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PghPat
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneG
    Wow, I have had my Elna 7200 for about four years now and never knew I had this feature! LOL
    Anyway, I wanted to ask, can you use the reverse button with the start/stop button for backtacking? In other words, once I press the start/stop and I start moving forward, can I press reverse while it's running? I can't imagine why I couldn't, but my manual doesn't address this and I'm always one to err on the side of caution, so I was just wondering if any of you have done this. Thanks!!
    Suzanne - yes, you can most definitely press the backstitch button while the machine is in motion - using the ON/OFF button - the same as if you were using the presser foot.

Pat
    Pat, thank you so much for your reply. I didn't want to try it until I knew for sure, so I really appreciate your taking the time to respond! :D

when I was sharing a foot pedal between 2 Janome machines in 2 different locations, sometimes I would forget the pedal and had to use the start/stoputton. it was OK for FMQ, but I didn't like it for reg. sewing. I don't know if I would ever use it exclusively, but I was really glad it was there!

Power Poster
    I've only used my foot pedal.

JS
    I too have a Brother and yes I do use the button. I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the Brother with the Stop/Start button....totally love it. Used to get foot cramps. And I learned on my moms Singer with the knee lever that causes leg cramps.

Blog Entries
    Janome 6600P I use the start stop button along with the thread cutting button. I love it.

When embroidering you can set it so it does all the letters and I program it so it cuts the thread at the end. Very handy.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast