Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use the button for sewing?

Blog Entries
    I use the start stop button and use the knuckle of my pointer finger to start and stop it. It took some getting used to but it is great now. My brain finally caught on. Plus I can adjust the speed with the end of my pointer finger. I got my brain to work my body from my eyes to my hands. PS I am also am organ player with full foot perdals on the floor. I can still manageboth hobbies.

After reading your post, I tried my start/stop button. It did nothing. Is it suppose to start the machine without using the foot pedal? I must have done something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarius
    After reading your post, I tried my start/stop button. It did nothing. Is it suppose to start the machine without using the foot pedal? I must have done something wrong.
    On my Brother, you have to take the foot pedal cord OUT of the machine for the start/stop button to work. I had it disengaged for a couple of months before I finally just wrapped it up and put it away.

Make sure that the pedal is disconnected from the machine. My button will not work is the pedal is plugged in.

I learned to quilt (I don't really do much sewing) on my Brother & have always used the button. Love it! Was never comfortable with the foot pedal on my mother's old Singer featherweight.

Blog Entries
    After reading everybody's comments on this subject, I have tried for the first time the on/off button on my Brother. I did ok, have a 50/50 likeness to this, and will continue to try it. With the 1/4" seam, my material got caught in the needle a couple of times, so have to overcome that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I think that would get some getting used to for me. I learned on the knee leaver & adjusted to the foot petal, but I would think you would have less control if you have to let go of the fabric being sewn to push a button.
    Learned on a White knee pedal. Haven't had taht machine in 30 years. Now my Janome has the knee presser foot lifter and I find myself using the knee to make it go--doesn't work.

I use mine only on long straight pieces, I also turned down the machine speed from fast to medium. My brain does not always work as fast as the machine.

I use my foot pedal for regular sewing, but I use the start/top button for embroidery. I don't know why I don't use the start/top button in sewing????? Just the way I started out with my Brother.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuilter
    I have two Brother machines and they both have a start/stop button. I had always used a foot pedal and had back pain after an hour or so of quilting/sewing. My friend at the sewing machine store suggested using the start /stop button about two years ago and it has made all the difference in the world. I can sit for hours without any back pain at all.
    I love mine with the button! The only time the foot pedal has been plugged in was when I had my DGDs try it before I bought them each a sewing machine.
    I wore the symbol off the button a long time ago.

use it all the time, I don't even remember where the foot petal is..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB
    After reading everybody's comments on this subject, I have tried for the first time the on/off button on my Brother. I did ok, have a 50/50 likeness to this, and will continue to try it. With the 1/4" seam, my material got caught in the needle a couple of times, so have to overcome that problem.
    If you are talking about when you first start out piecing, just use a 'starter' piece of fabric. You can keep a stack of squares near your machine and sew them together..using them as 'starters and enders'. When you end your sewing, leave the 'ender' under the presser foot, it will be your 'starter' so when you begin the needle will not eat your fabric. Before you know it you will have a project of starters and enders all sewed together...and you don't have all those tails of thread to trim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
    If you are talking about when you first start out piecing, just use a 'starter' piece of fabric. You can keep a stack of squares near your machine and sew them together..using them as 'starters and enders'. When you end your sewing, leave the 'ender' under the presser foot, it will be your 'starter' so when you begin the needle will not eat your fabric. Before you know it you will have a project of starters and enders all sewed together...and you don't have all those tails of thread to trim.
    Thanks Rajean, that is what I am talking about, I'm a big fan of starters and enders anyway, just didn't use them on this button practices. DonnaB

i also have two Brother sewing machines & love, love, love the start/stop button. I taught my daughter to sew with them & had to buy her a Brother with the button. She couldn't quite get the hang of sewing without it.

Blog Entries
    I believe that I wouldn't like that. I sew with both hands. ne behind the presser foot the only in front. Both guide the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    Quote Originally Posted by bstock
    I have the button on my Brother. I just never took the time to figure out how to use it.
    Unplug the foot pedal, push button to sew, push button to stop. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
    Plus you really save a lot of money on thread!!!

I have had a Baby Lock for nearly a year. I have transitioned to the "button" from 4 machines without. I am hooked on the "Button".

Dee
    I love my Brother with no foot pedal. Sure was nice when I had surgery on my foot and could still sew.

I was recently in a class with someone who was using the start/stop button on her brother. It beeped everytime she touched it and we were sewing short seams. The beeping just about got on my last nerve!

Peggy

i use mine all the time, that and the needle up and down button

I have serveral Janomes and Brother machines with this feature and I use it all the time. Just love it. Really saves my foot from cramping when I do long seams in strip piecing. I do on occasion use the foot pedal when I have a lot of stop/start applique.

When I first tried a Janome I was using my GF's 6600. The stop/start bottom and reverse button are very close. Also the stop/start is red when it is stitching and green when it is stopped.

I hit the reverse button by mistake, it didnt stop. The button was red so I thought I had hit the stop button. So I started yelling at it, "stop, I told you stop"

She still teases me about that.

I can actually hit mine with my knuckle.

I have a 2 Brothers and the one in my sewing room has it and I use it and the auto cutter all the time.

I have 3 Brother machines and love the start/stop feature on them. When I sew on my snack bar love it because the pedal will not reach the machine and I stand up when I use the snack bar or sit on the bar stool and cannot reach the floor. Wonderful feature.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast