Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone use a lap board? >

Does anyone use a lap board?

Does anyone use a lap board?

Old 11-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
My man likes to help and if I let him (without guidelines) I will have half a sheet of ply on my lap. lol
I'm still LOL about this line! :lol: :lol:
Old 11-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
My man likes to help and if I let him (without guidelines) I will have half a sheet of ply on my lap. lol
I'm still LOL about this line! :lol: :lol:
Once upon a time, in a land far far away, DH surprised me with a hand-made gift. It was a box - a LARGE box with LARGE compartments. I said: "Oh thank you honey, you made me a storage bin for all of my painting supplies." His face fell and I was puzzled. "It's NOT for your painting supplies" he answered. Now I am at a loss because he surely didn't make it for a shoe polish kit. (I don't polish shoes)

Finally he tells me: "It's a shadow box for your knickknacks." It was impossible for me to hide my surprise (as in not a good one). My knickknacks would have been lost and swallowed in the box. It ended up being the storage bin for my paints and it worked great.

That is why I am very careful when asking DH to build something for me. The instructions must be specified.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:11 PM

I use a lap board when I am hand sewing sitting on the lounge, but I also use it for trimming my scraps while watching TV.

It is just a piece of MDF that I put my 12 x 18 cutting mat on. I don't find that I lean my arms on the rough edge but lean more on the flat top but don't very often actually lean on it at all.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:21 PM

A lap board, as Cheri M....(the woman who makes the award winning applique quilts that Linda Taylor LA quilts) showed, is a piece of foam insulation with the silver stuff on the outside. I know you can buy it at Home Depot/Lowe's for about 12.00 a 4x8 sheet. (She says not to use the pink kind.) Hers is about 20 x 20 or so. She then pins her items to the board to hold her applique pieces and background. You could cover it with muslin, if desired. She keeps pins all around the edges of hers, and uses it as is to work on placing her applique pieces. I have some extra of the insulation (I used it for my design wall and covered it with flannel, so I could pin to it also if desired). I was going to cover it with muslin for myself.

I'm thinking of mounting it (glue?) on some thin board, and even could make the other side an ironing surface for the mini-iron that I use for the applique pieces. Then I'd have the best of both worlds - just flip it over - and it wouldn't be too heavy. (I could also cut an old cutting mat to fit and lay it on top if desired.) Lots of uses :)

Anyway, just my thoughts...
Debbie in Austin
Old 11-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
My problem? My lap is slowly disappearing! I really must do more walking!
Mine too - ROFL. I just told DH that he needed to router the appropriate lumpies into the front edge. He left the room shaking his head. lol

Thanks for the replies, everyone. DH actually had a good idea: he suggested that a cutting mat would be a good surface in case I need to cut something. Since I have a warped mat, that may be just the ticket. I am leaving the construction up to him. We will start at 12x18 and take it from there. I have a piece of upholstery fabric with cats on it that may be the perfect use in this project.

amma, I was originally thinking "fluffy" for the top so it doesn't hurt the arm when you lean on the rough edge.
Awww yes, I can see that... maybe a nice stuffed edge along that side of the table :D:D:D
Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
Originally Posted by bjnicholson
My problem? My lap is slowly disappearing! I really must do more walking!
Mine too - ROFL. I just told DH that he needed to router the appropriate lumpies into the front edge. He left the room shaking his head. lol

Thanks for the replies, everyone. DH actually had a good idea: he suggested that a cutting mat would be a good surface in case I need to cut something. Since I have a warped mat, that may be just the ticket. I am leaving the construction up to him. We will start at 12x18 and take it from there. I have a piece of upholstery fabric with cats on it that may be the perfect use in this project.

amma, I was originally thinking "fluffy" for the top so it doesn't hurt the arm when you lean on the rough edge.
Awww yes, I can see that... maybe a nice stuffed edge along that side of the table :D:D:D
A lot of us already HAVE a nice stuffed edge there!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

I have two. One has a lip around it, and my netbook mostly lives on that one. I chose it specifically because of what it says on it: 'I want it all, I want it now, and I want it covered in Chocolate!' (It measures 17in x 13in).

The other one is semi circular, but with a smaller semi circle cut out to leave room for my tummy - sort of like a three quarters moon, but with rounded corners. This one has a plastic top, and no lip on it, but it's great for lots of things, even for resting a quilt book on. (about 20in at the widest part)

The part that I most like about both of them is that they have sort of bean bag cushions on the back of them so that I can angle them for comfort. I think they are filled with polystyrene beads.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:44 PM

I've used my June Tailor Cushioned Quilter's Square 'n Blocker for years. It's always handy, holds pins, fits nicely across my lap or chair arms. It's the perfect size for all my "stuff". I can use the measurements if needed or even press small pieces using the Clover mini iron.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 PM

Speaking of mini-irons - I recently broke down and treated myself to one. WOW, don't know how I ever did all those little pieces without one before. Makes a world of difference.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 AM

I remember a lap board my grandfather made of masonite. It was probably 4' long and about 18" deep with a cutout on one side for your body. It was light-weight and versatile. I used to sit in front of him and play cribbage by the hour. I think something like that could work. (I'm sure the edges were sanded a bit, but otherwise very simple to make.)