Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone use a lap board? >

Does anyone use a lap board?

Does anyone use a lap board?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I was in an applique class yesterday and there was mention of using a lap board. I didn't get a chance to ask questions, so I am asking you:

If you use a lap board, did you make it or buy it?
What size is it?
What is the covering on the surface?
Is there batting on the top surface?

The way I imagine the thing: It looks like a covered piece of plywood that's been tacked to a pillow. DH is chomping at the bit to make me one. My man likes to help and if I let him (without guidelines) I will have half a sheet of ply on my lap. lol
Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 AM

I don't have one, but was thinking the other day as I was doing some hand piecing that one would be nice. My girls all had one when they were little, they loved to draw and color and it was great for them.
I'm thinking one would be nice for me now. If I remember correctly the size was about 12" x 18". If I were to have my DH make mine I would want fabric on the solid surface as well to help hold onto the fabric that would be laying on it!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I had a craft board that I used a lot. It was long enough to rest on the arms of my chair. This way if I moved around, it stayed in place (as well as the items on it LOL)

It would be handy if it had a little lip around the sides to hold items on it.

I don't know about padding... but I would have liked one of those cupboard, non slip liners laying on it.

I have seen other boards, that had a nice padding on the bottom, and it sat in your lap.

I don't think I have ever seen one that was padded on the top... I am not sure what the benefit to that would be? Now you have ME curious :D:D:D
Old 11-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I use to have a lap desk- wonder how close they are - the lap desk was hard plastic on top and on the under side was like a bean bag- so that it formed around to what it was sitting on - had a lip on it so things would not slide off of it.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:34 AM

I just use a toss cushion and it helps to keep the block at the perfect distance for appliqueing..it makes it more comfortable to work and you can also jab your pins and needle into it in when changing thread,etc..I have been meaning to make something flat on the bottom but the cushion has worked fine...if I were using a lap pillow I would use the flat part on my lap and the rounded part to work on..just my preference...
Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

i use a sandpaper board i made out of a clipboard. one side i hand painted with roses, it's smooth, the other fine grade sandpaper for cutting and marking 1/2"
Old 11-14-2010, 11:41 AM

My problem? My lap is slowly disappearing! I really must do more walking!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 AM

fHa! That got me to thinking! I think I still have the one the grandkids used while riding in the car. It is soft, pillow like on the bottom and has a smooth hard surface on the top. I think the bottom part is filled with beads, like a bean bag. The hard top will slide off so there is a little storage spacee for pencils, coloring book, etc. Now I have to go hunting!!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM

easy to put a lip on it, just use balsa wood and little finishing nails or sturdy pin on the edges, voila instant edge to keep things where they belong. Grandson did it for me, must give credit where it belongs.

Originally Posted by amma
I had a craft board that I used a lot. It was long enough to rest on the arms of my chair. This way if I moved around, it stayed in place (as well as the items on it LOL)

It would be handy if it had a little lip around the sides to hold items on it.

I don't know about padding... but I would have liked one of those cupboard, non slip liners laying on it.

I have seen other boards, that had a nice padding on the bottom, and it sat in your lap.

I don't think I have ever seen one that was padded on the top... I am not sure what the benefit to that would be? Now you have ME curious :D:D:D
Old 11-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
My problem? My lap is slowly disappearing! I really must do more walking!
Mine too - ROFL. I just told DH that he needed to router the appropriate lumpies into the front edge. He left the room shaking his head. lol

Thanks for the replies, everyone. DH actually had a good idea: he suggested that a cutting mat would be a good surface in case I need to cut something. Since I have a warped mat, that may be just the ticket. I am leaving the construction up to him. We will start at 12x18 and take it from there. I have a piece of upholstery fabric with cats on it that may be the perfect use in this project.

amma, I was originally thinking "fluffy" for the top so it doesn't hurt the arm when you lean on the rough edge.