Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone use polyester batting? >

Does anyone use polyester batting?

Does anyone use polyester batting?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 AM

Hmmm...so now I have to think. You are right about the shrinkage, I have to decide if this is what I want and it might be.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:31 AM

just a little something to think about - if you have done redwork, it's probably on white fabric, hobbs 80/20 is usually natural in color in the stores around here. It will show through your fabric. If you haven't tried Quilters Dream batting, try it sometime. the cotton (100%) quilts like butter and the poly is very nice as well. Dream Angel will not burn and it is my choice in all my baby quilts. The fabric on the outside may burn, but I know I can pop it over a baby and the batting will give at least some protection on a quick trip out the door. I use Dream Angel in my own quilts as I plan to use it over my body on the way out the door too. Hope I never have to experience a fire. Oh yes, I am in no way affiliated with Dream Cotton products, just a long time user who has never been disappointed in the quality.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 AM

I made a 4th of july quilt that my hubby commandeered before it was even done. It's poly and it gets washed almost once a week (it's on the bed in his 18 wheeler) It gets rubbed and jiggled even when not in use while on it's trips.No problems and it's like 8 years old now
Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 AM

I love the Dream polyester batting. It comes in different weights. The Dream Green also is very nice made from recycled 2 liter bottles. Quilts drape beautifully and are lighter weight, but warm on the chilly nights. My LA quilter loves working with it.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

There's a big variation in poly batts. I've quilted some comfort quilts for which I was given a thin scratchy poly batt from Wal-mart. I doubt that it holds up over time as well as the Warm & Bright poly (soft, thicker, and even) that I've bought from JoAnn's, made by the Warm Co. OTOH, the thinner batt makes a lighter quilt, which may be perfect when you just want something cuddly, not necessarily warm.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 AM

I don't like a poly batting for a lot of reasons, but when hand quilting, my biggest complaint w/ the poly battings is that they are not dense and I do want a little bit of resistance going thru the layers so that I can reposition my needle if necessary. With the poly battings, I find that my needle "falls thru" and it is more difficult to maintain a consistent stitch length. I hope i explained that well enough.

My favorite batting is the Quilters Dream - My needle does go thru like butter, but there is enough of the resistance that I like to help me maintain a consistent stitch length.

Quilters Dream Cotton battings have only a 1% shrinkage rate - minimal in my book. I also had a conversation w/ a quilt store owner who was commenting about the consistent density in Quilters Dream pre-packaged battings. It is excellent. She & her customers noticed that in the Hobbs pre-packaged battings that there were areas thinner and that would, of course, affect the quilt. Quilters Dream is the only thing she carries now. She used to carry the Quilters Dream on rolls, but the shipping on the large rolls has made it cost prohibitive.

Warm & Natural used to be my go-to cotton batting.....til I used Quilters Dream - it's now my now preferred batting.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Initially, I thought that poly batting was simply the thing to use, but over time I have learned about warm & natural and other battings. I still like that loftiness provided by poly batting as it meets my perception of a quilt, but mostly use the flatter and warmer battings now.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I use poly. Just not the high loft variety. Personal preference on that. I also use warm and natural. It depends on the project, my mood, and what's in my closet!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 AM

My favorite is the poly that has stickem on both sides. If you are making a simpler quilt you can piece it right on to the batting as you go. I've done this with both straight edged pieces and curves. When you are done you wash it and the stickem is gone and you are left with a soft quilt. It is a huge time-saver. Also, I have grandchildren who can't have polyester against their skin, but they have no problem with any poly-filled quilts.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 AM

I use cotton blend most often.