Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone work on quilting frame? >

Does anyone work on quilting frame?

Does anyone work on quilting frame?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 PM

Hi, I love your frame!! my DH made one frame for me, I hope this tutorial helps you!
http://elblogdenievesmaria.blogspot....or-grande.html (spanish)
I learned how to do it here http://www.ehow.com/way_5387176_home...lt-frames.html (english)

When I finish a sectión I dismount the four bolts and roll the sandwich until a new unquilted section is set. You can see in my album the set up. http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...27-461308.html

Enjoy your treasure!
Old 03-28-2014, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
I just looked at your picture again and if you have the quilt/back/batting pinned or fastened to all four sides - it won't work. You should only have the two long sides fastened. Leave the two short rows free - then put some temporary strips of fabric fastened to the rails to keep the sides taut while quilting. As you roll it up, then you re-position the sides. HTH
my mom always attached all four sides, as you roll you remove just what you need to from the two short sides
Old 03-28-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
Oh, the boards looked like they were attached to me. If that's the case wouldn't it be too much bulk to reach over after a while or am I overthinking this?
I have a frame like that. The boards should be attached with something that can be removed so you and roll the quilt and then refasten the board. Quilted like that with my granny for years. We used C-clamps to hold the boards together. Have fun.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:07 AM
dd

One of the ladies in our quilting group brought one like this for our group to use on a quilt for the family of one of our ladies who died. Her picture was in the middle. Not sure what we did wrong but there was a big bubble in the middle. She had to take it home and redo the center while it was half quilted. I know she had all four sides attached and rolled two sides from we got some finished. I can't get as small a stitch with this type of frame. Guess I'm just more used to quilting in my lap.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 AM

What a neat process!!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 AM

It is how my mother quilted and how I still quilt bed size quilts. Recently, because I live alone,I discovered how to rollup the sandwiched quilt without help from someone or losing the tautness, This is providing I started on one end of the quilt. I use another board and two more C clamps. I do not undo any of the corner C clamps but add this new board mid section or the position I want to roll to, then fasten with C clamps, then loosen the area corner clamps on the quilted end and rollup and secure again. then remove pins on the sides enough to roll. Roll up and tighten up again. I can either remove the center board since all four corners are secure or leave it depending on how much space I have left myself to quilt. It is so nice to be able to do this unassisted. I am blessed to have large rooms with tall ceilings to set up a frame like this in an old Victorian house.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 PM

Love your quilt but you can have that hand quilting.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112 View Post
I was browsing the internet tonight and happened to find the following website on how to make a PVC quilt frame, light weight and easily movable. Just thought I would share with you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4928734_make...ing-frame.html
This frame is not even large enough for the quilt pictured. The entire quilt needs to be flat and fastened to the outer sticks.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
It is how my mother quilted and how I still quilt bed size quilts. Recently, because I live alone,I discovered how to rollup the sandwiched quilt without help from someone or losing the tautness, This is providing I started on one end of the quilt. I use another board and two more C clamps. I do not undo any of the corner C clamps but add this new board mid section or the position I want to roll to, then fasten with C clamps, then loosen the area corner clamps on the quilted end and rollup and secure again. then remove pins on the sides enough to roll. Roll up and tighten up again. I can either remove the center board since all four corners are secure or leave it depending on how much space I have left myself to quilt. It is so nice to be able to do this unassisted. I am blessed to have large rooms with tall ceilings to set up a frame like this in an old Victorian house.
Bless you for teaching me how to roll my quilt without help. I'm alone now, too, and when I did my last quilt last month, I nailed whoever was handy to help me do the rolling when I was "ready to roll". (I would say that this job is where that saying came from.)
My tenant from upstairs, my granddaughter and even the piano tuner were put into action. Now I know how to do it myself. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:50 PM

Great info in this thread!