Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts? >

Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio
my family sees crafty things as "cheap"
My inlaws feel that way. Hand mde just means you're too cheap to get them a real present. A present has to be store bought and expensive in their minds.

I made them 2 hand made lap quilts when we were first married. MIL opened the package and sort of turned her nose up "what is this? why did you give me a blanket? " real snobby like. She threw it in the closet like it was a piece of junk. Hubby went out and bought them a refrigerator. That was a real present. Hubby later explained it was a cultural thing, not to take it personal. I then was angry with him for not telling me it wouldn't be appreciated.

They don't understand me when I would rather have something hand made for me because it means the person cares about me enough to spend all this time making it for me.

My sister cross stitched a really nice big picture for us and I had it framed. I was telling them about it when they visited and they could only ask why I had it framed, it's just a piece of cloth.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingSister
My husband doesn't like quilts...when he was growing up, everything was "old", and quilts were made from scraps and were very utilitarian. He cannot get past that, so all of my quilts are given away (other family members, friends, charities). I still enjoy quilting, and he encourages my hobby, so the ones I keep are hung in my sewing room (but no where else in the house, sadly). We've been married 46 years, and he is a wonderful husband, so we compromise on this issue.
So sad his memories are for "old" quilts. I think of my grandparents and I think of the "old Utilitarian" quilts. What I would not love to have them now. My grandmaw would make a "pallet" of these old quilts all over the house for all the grandkids to sleep on. That was what going to grandma's was all about. All the kids and sleeping on pallets. (My grandkids are told about me sleeping on Pallets and they want to also.)
Old 07-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by lenette
I mentioned making a new quilt for my son, and he said they have too many blankets.

He still uses one I made for him 15 years ago.

It hurt at first, but then I just accepted it.

He does appreciate all the work I put into them, tho.
My Son has carried a quilt I made him in 1994 to college, he went into the Navy and the quilt when on his ship with him, and now it is in the Mashall Islands where he is a seaman on a boat there. We discussed his next quilt I will make for him will have some Navy fabrics and photos from his Navy career.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Although my skill level is about a 2 compared to what you see here, every one I know is in line to get a quilt from me. They all really appreciate it so I'm fortunate in that regard. I just wish there was enough time in the day.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
my impulse would be to make a couple of donation quilts, and on the label note that they were made with love in honor of your mom and/or sis, and take a photo of the label for mom/sis. then, give the quilts with that love to an organization that will put them in hands that will love them. win/win! you get to create, you get to "give" them to mom/sis, and someone who could use the "hug" will get that quilt to warm them.
I like this idea!

I am very blessed in that all of my family (with the possible exception of my brother, who I haven't made a quilt for) appreciate quilts. Even my dad really appreciates quilts. If I'm unsure of someone (say my SIL) I ask them what they would like and make sure to make something that fits their tastes.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 PM

Any time in the 'old days' when I was working on a quilt, my two sons would show up at my elbow and want me to duplicate the current project for them. "Kin I have one, too?"

My father, who had watched his mother and sisters struggle through hard times, making utility quilts out of 'whatever' thought it ridiculous of me to buy whole cloth to cut in pieces to sew back together again. Having seen them work so hard he thought it better to buy a blanket. It wasn't that he didn't appreciate the quilts--I think it reminded him of how overworked his mother was for so long.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Originally Posted by cherrio
my family sees crafty things as "cheap"
My inlaws feel that way. Hand mde just means you're too cheap to get them a real present. A present has to be store bought and expensive in their minds.

I made them 2 hand made lap quilts when we were first married. MIL opened the package and sort of turned her nose up "what is this? why did you give me a blanket? " real snobby like. She threw it in the closet like it was a piece of junk. Hubby went out and bought them a refrigerator. That was a real present. Hubby later explained it was a cultural thing, not to take it personal. I then was angry with him for not telling me it wouldn't be appreciated.

They don't understand me when I would rather have something hand made for me because it means the person cares about me enough to spend all this time making it for me.

My sister cross stitched a really nice big picture for us and I had it framed. I was telling them about it when they visited and they could only ask why I had it framed, it's just a piece of cloth.
A cultural thing? Wow....what culture are your in laws from....Mars?? I mean forgive my surprise, but I have never heard of such a reaction to a gift as you MIL had....wow is all I can think!! :shock: :shock:
Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
A cultural thing? Wow....what culture are your in laws from....Mars?? I mean forgive my surprise, but I have never heard of such a reaction to a gift as you MIL had....wow is all I can think!! :shock: :shock:
China-hand made isn't that impressive. And I am referring only to my inlaws. I am not making generalizations about everyone in China.

I did mention it to another friend who is also from China-a dfiferent area- and she just shook her head agreed with what you said.

I think it has something to do with the new found wealth. When every one was poor everything was hand made but now people are making money and doing well and like to show it by buying store bought things.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 AM

Some people think of quilts as very country old fashioned. Make your quilts and give them to someone else if they don't want them. I bet they will change their minds.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by 1screech
Some people think of quilts as very country old fashioned. Make your quilts and give them to someone else if they don't want them. I bet they will change their minds.
Not necessarily. Some people will never like a country style quilt no matter what.

Some people don't like cake...they only like pie.
Some people don't like traditional oil paintings...they only like modern art.
Some people don't like white appliances...they only like stainless steel.
Some people don't like floral patterns...they only like solids.

You get the idea. It's the same with quilts.

The important thing to remember is that it's not a reflection on YOU. Everyone just has different taste!