Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this bother anyone else or is it just me >

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me

Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by teddysmom
I'm a newbie, only been quilting a year. I've learned and am still learning a lot about purchasing kits. For one thing, only the exact amount of material is included, no extra for any mistakes.
Newbies are not the only ones making mistakes. A miscut can happen to anyone. Good point!

I have read other accounts where a kit was cut rather skimpy. Others had bleeding fabric and neede to be prewashed. Once washed, they had shrank to less than the amount required.

For me, finding the fabric is really enjoyable, so I guess I'm not a good judge of kits.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:08 AM

For me to buy a quilt book there has to be at least 3 patterns that I like, a quilt magazine has to have 1 I like and some tips or something else. Not really into kits cause I like to pick my own fabrics though I think I will buy the kits if I decide to do the 2 New Mexico Missions quilts. They are 12 block quilts with each block being an old mission church here in the state. I don't think I could pick better fabrics since their picks on based on the missions. They have also just started a block of the month of the Saints. So, looks like I maybe joining a BOM for that, could do the missions that way too.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by denilynne
I found a quilt kit i want to buy it's $75.00 but it does not include the pattern, i have to spend another $25.00 to buy a book that has the pattern. Why don't they include the pattern with the kit, i don't understand.
it's very easy to understand if you don't look at the issue backward.

the book includes several patterns, yes? each of these patterns will require a different selection of fabrics. in fact, each of the patterns can be made using an incalculable array of alternate fabric choices.

the fabric kit is an optional purchase opportunity for those who want to make the quilt exactly as shown in the book.

selling them seperately is not a gimmick.
it is not sneaky.
it is not a ripoff.

it's a simple way to ensure that each customer gets what she wants, whether that be just the book, just the fabrics, or both.

it is unfair to carry on as some have done in this topic and to hurl sour and short-sighted accusations at the designer, the publisher, and the vending shops.