Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does it ever bother you that your work can look commercial?

Not if I'm making clothing. I want the item to look commercial. However; if its a quilt, I want it to look personal - one of a kind. Even quilting it on the machine, I want it to look personal (guess that is why I don't have a computerized quilting machine).

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I really don't want to sound conceded. I just don't want to be wearing a dress I made and have someone assume I bought it at Penny's cause it is too good. I also don't want anyone to look at it and say WOW you had to make that in your basement either. I guess I just can't be satisfied.
    You need to please yourself ... both in your garment sewing and quilts. You know when/if your work is good and, while it's nice to get compliments, it's not really what's important. I don't want to sound like a smarty pants, but I think you need to try to focus on your own good taste and judgement and not concern yourself about those other opinions.

Blog Entries
    No worries about my quilts looking store bought :oops: LOL But I don't get offended :wink:

And I take it as a compliment when they think my clothes are store bought :thumbup:

Mine have enough flaws to look handmade and I like it that way.

Blog Entries
    My quilts have almost always looked like "my quilts" and I like it that way. Whether a commercial pattern or an original, they have my "stamp" on them. In clothing, my DD wouldn't wear it if it looked handmade, so I save the creativity for my granddaughter.

I really don't want to sound conceded. I just don't want to be wearing a dress I made and have someone assume I bought it at Penny's cause it is too good. I also don't want anyone to look at it and say WOW you had to make that in your basement either. I guess I just can't be satisfied.
    Just a thought -- I can remember when we thought it was the highest praise to have someone think we had purchased a garment that we had really made ourselves--cira 1940's & 50's.

I believe these people truly believe that they are paying us compliments when they say it looks as good as store brought. They usually have no eye for handmade/homemade

I usually say "Its better and will last longer"

Blog Entries
    I see what you are saying K...I don't think I have to worry about it yet with my work...maybe someday though. I think that we all do put some of ourselves into everything we make though and it shows...or you could just put a little tag on it like the purse I bought from a friend that says "made by...." :lol:

I have had a friend tell me that she can tell my things because they are so much better made than store bought. Of course we don't shop in Neiman Marcus either.I am very picky about how my things look. Straight seams and especially straight top stitching.
    Little side story: my DGD was talking about buying a wedding gown IF she ever decides to marry, (she's 16 right now) She said she would only take her mom to look for a dress because her Grammy wouldn't be satisfied with any of them because none would be good enough and she wouldn't take me because I would look at all the sewing and say how crappy it was. LOL And that is so true . I do that with store stuff.

Gal
    I had to laugh damaquilts, that sounds exactly like me when I go shopping with my daughter, she goes mad if I say 'I could make it better' or 'look at that shoddy workmanship inside that garment' and 'I wouldn't pay that price for that'! Different generation with different expectations!

Gal

I am a newbie and I should be so lucky. I am very perticular about my sewing, but I have a long way to go before it looks commercial.

My quilts are very personalized. We both have wrinkles.

I don't have a problem of people thinking my quilt are commercially made. It bothers me when they look at them and say, "they aren't even handmade". Just because they aren't hand quilted, they think they aren't handmade. I always say, "they are handmade. I cut every piece, I picked up the pieces and feed they through the sewing manche...and I also used my hands to machine quilt them. I have every right to say they are hand made"

Blog Entries
    My quilting reminds me of my golf game years ago. If I was driving good I couldnt putt, if I was putting good I couldn't drive 50 yds! Now my quilts is the same way, Good pieceing, not so good quilting, good quilting, not so good piecing! Oh, well...

I told my family that what I make is Art. Good, bad or ugly. It is an example of my creations and should be valued as such. If they just want bedding they can buy it at Walmart. It seemed to work and no one got offended. They know what I give them is love in the form of a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Mine always have so many flaws that I don't have that problem. I would probably get upset if someone thought it was bought at a store.
    Mine too

In my mind, commercially made means that zillions of them were made and that they are identical. A one-of-a-kind item will never be commercial regardless of flaws. And, no, mine will never be that perfect.

Power Poster
    I usualy find unique material so mine look better than commercial.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts
    I have had a friend tell me that she can tell my things because they are so much better made than store bought. Of course we don't shop in Neiman Marcus either.I am very picky about how my things look. Straight seams and especially straight top stitching.
    Little side story: my DGD was talking about buying a wedding gown IF she ever decides to marry, (she's 16 right now) She said she would only take her mom to look for a dress because her Grammy wouldn't be satisfied with any of them because none would be good enough and she wouldn't take me because I would look at all the sewing and say how crappy it was. LOL And that is so true . I do that with store stuff.
    The one and only time I was in Neiman-Marcus was about 18 or so years ago, and I was checking out a 200 dollar silk blouse (that would be about 500 dollars in today's money). The seams were pinked, raw edges! For that kind of $$$ I expected French seams at a minimum. Their construction isn't any better than anyplace else.

I don't worry that my stuff will every be confused for "commercial" - no company would ever deign to create such labor-intensive pieces. they would go broke very fast.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think you are confusing professional with "mass produced". There is a BIG difference. There are lots of commercial products which are very high quality and individualized. A one of a kind designer dress is professional and commercial without being cheap. Don't confuse "cheap" with "mass produced" (Think Sony, Krupps, Volvo, Mercedes, for instance, or if you prefer, Janome, Bernina, etc.) or commercial (think YSL, Armani, Vera Wang, etc.). Are those very expensive oriental carpets hand made? YES. Are they made commercially? YES. Are they "cheap"? NO. I would be proud if my stuff didn't look "home made". Mine does!!

The last few things I have made look good. But at the same time they look almost commercial in that there are few "hand made" features. It kinda bothers me that anyone would look at my creations as commercially made cause they are good. Am I the only one??
    I will never have that problem, mine never look that good.

never had that problem and never thought about it much either i guess because i know i made the quilt and the people i make them for know i made the quilt

I sure don't have that problem;sofar i have to make sure that i catch my mistakes and redo before someone else sees them..lol

Heeeee, I wish! Long way to go before that could ever be said an
    anyone not laughing!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltilicious
    I don't worry that my stuff will every be confused for "commercial" - no company would ever deign to create such labor-intensive pieces. they would go broke very fast.

I agree with this statement! The very nicest, most beautiful quilts that I have seen posted on this site, I would never think were "commercial" or "mass produced". And I'm talking about machine quilted quilts in particular. Companies can't afford to have a person working on one quilt for 20+ hours, which is very near (or less than!) what a lot of quilters put into one quilt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast