Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Everyone in this group..... >

Does Everyone in this group.....

Does Everyone in this group.....

Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by rexie
If you are using a regular machine, how do you scrunch a whole quilt up under it?
I haven't yet done this myself...but I got a great DVD from the Library on Machine Quilting that shows how to do it. After laying out backing, batting and top and pining then they rolled it up and clipped the rolls. Unrolled part and when quilting she put the free end up over her shoulder. sorry for the not so great description.. I think you have to see it for yourself to understand. It was an Eleanor Burns " Quilt in a Day", called Machine Quilting Primer with Cheryl Martin. As a beginner I thought it was very helpful.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM

I too had a old machine...one of my good friends solved the quilting problem for me. you take tissue paper and draw, trace, or freehand your pattern on the paper, mine at that time was hearts, then you pin the paper to your quilt (you have to handle with care) then you can slowly stitch around the pattern. the tissue paper just pulls right off, or you can use one of the stenciles and draw on your quilt. Sometimes when you do this the product you use does not come out of the material and can still be seen.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:58 AM

I live in a motor home at least 7 months a year. My grandson wanted a cars quilt for his bed. Problem is his bed is queen size and they don't make one that big. So granny had to make one. we were in the motor home at that time. I find that a ironing board has many uses. It works great at the end of a table to hold the extra weight, and as I quilted it free motion I kept moving the ironing board futher foim the table.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:59 AM

I send mine out to three different longarmers. I don't have the room for one. I used to hand quilt all my quilts but i can no longer do that.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 PM

I too had a old machine...one of my good friends solved the quilting problem for me. you take tissue paper and draw, trace, or freehand your pattern on the paper, mine at that time was hearts, then you pin the paper to your quilt (you have to handle with care) then you can slowly stitch around the pattern. the tissue paper just pulls right off, or you can use one of the stenciles and draw on your quilt. Sometimes when you do this the product you use does not come out of the material and can still be seen.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 PM

No long arm for me, but my sister has one and I buy the designs, backing and batting, for her and she does them. In turn though, I sew her bindings down for her on all of her quilts! say ouch to sore fingers!! I hope to have pic up here one day soon.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

I have a Juki on a Grace frame, but I quilted on the Juki by itself for a number of years.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 PM

I have a HQ-16 (sit down machine) I use this on large quilts and do small pieces on my Bernina 150. Both work well to get my quilts finished quickly.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:52 PM

I use a Pfaff sewing machine. I have had the experts at my LQS quilt my quilts on a long arm. However, after being on this Board for a few months, I have been inspired and am planning to quilt a baby quilt I am finishing on my Pfaff.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Mine is new but it is just a domestic machine.