Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does everyone here own a.... >

Does everyone here own a....

Does everyone here own a....

Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 PM

I have a 9" throat on my Brother and do King sized ones with no frame.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by rexie
quilting machine? I read and read how everyone does their own quilting and FMQ on their machines, but how do you get a queen sized quilt rolled up enough to go in the throat of the machines? I had a Juki once and the throat area was too small to do much at a time. Would really like to know how big of a quilt do you quilt on your personal machines.
I just saw an ad for a quilt store that just got in a new Bernina that came out that has a 12" throat. That would be a dream. Or if money allows, buy a Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen Sit Down machine. I tried one and it is what I would have bought if I would not have had room to buy a long arm set up with a frame (which I just bought). The Handi Quilter Sit Down doesn't actually cost that much when compared to some of the sewing machines that are high end $ for the stitch regulator and other bells and whistles. Some of the sewing machnes actually cost more.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 PM

I have done queen and double size quilts on my Viking Sapphire. I am getting ready to quilt a king size on it. It may take a little bit of extra handling but I think it will be manageable. I quilt on a office sized desk and open the top drawer to hold a lot of the quilt's weight while FMQ. I find it really helps to have the extra weight draped over something. An ironing board also works great to hold the extra weight. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bkaren6020
I purchased a Flynn quilt frame, but haven't used it yet. Has anyone used one?
I also purchased a flynn frame. 15 yrs ago. never used it it was with some things i bought at a sale .does anyone know how to use it . would love to now. Dottie Bug
Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by rexie
O.k....Puddeling...What is puddleing and how do you puddle? I have an older Singer that does not allow the feed dogs to drop, so guess I need to update?
Puddling is rather like fan folding.

I FM quilt even large quilts on a vintage Featherweight. The feed dogs do not drop, and I do not use a cover on them. I set my stitch length to zero, and lighten the pressure on the presser foot; have done a king size on my machine. It's possible; you just have to have patience.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 PM

I have a Brother, that could probably handle a king size, that said, I can only do a small one myself due to back problems. I am about to try a QAYG. Wish me luck.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 PM

I have a Singer Confidence Q and make kings size all the time. It was a little difficult at first, but now I love it and have no problems.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 PM

I have quilted several queen quilts and one king quilt on my Viking. It doesn't have a large harp, I just fight with the quilt til I get it like I want it. Basically, I puddle it.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM

I watch a tutorial once on this. She actually cut binking in half in a zig zag fashion. Quilted half the quilt, Then sewed the batting back turned quilt and quilted other side. I do not machine quilt, She did make it look easy and I may one day get enough nerve to try it. Good luck on your quilt. :)
Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 PM

i believe the john flynn frame is demoed on youtube.... and has anyone found the fabulous video (youtube as well)... for showing how to make your own quilting table.... very easy using some sort of "insulation board" from a home supply store.... i considered it before i decided to buy my grace frame and 1600P to ride on it... only a 10" throat, but it sure beats my frustration trying it any other way... Honestly i can't recommend it enough.. for people who just like to piece and create like me.. it's super... try "saving some money" if you can,,, passing up that next fabric purchse,, and putting it aside... i got the frame and machine together, but could have bought just a frame for a lot less money... check out grace frames,, and there are other wooden ones, that you can just put your own machine on... it's so much fun.. (not off to win any prizes, just enjoy quilting my own quilts and fabric)...
wanted to share that... ask any questions if you want... barbara