Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does a fabric stash have an expiration date? >

Does a fabric stash have an expiration date?

Does a fabric stash have an expiration date?

Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I have some linen that came from my grandmother. She died when I was 2 and I am now 51. Turned it into a quilt and it behaved fabulously. Some of the older cottons were died with funky methods in the 70s and could bleed, so I would take extra care in washing them. But using them - not a problem.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 PM

i have a quilt my grandmother made it was made from scarps of material she used tyo make us pj's when we were little some of it is 50 pluse years old i still; use the quilt when the grand kids come my dad says he remebers som e of the blocks when he was young he is 79 so i hope it never expires it is faded and i have repaired some spots but is is as good as it ever was
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
Originally Posted by LisaT
Seriously wondering this. I am cleaning out stuff because we just don't have room to keep things we don't use/need.

I'm having a hard time parting with some fabric but at the same time I'm wondering if it's going to be any good when I finally have the time to get to it. I'm thinking that will be in 13 years or so when my little one turns 18! :?

Thoughts?
Golly I hope not. I have some skirts and pjs,imbroiderd scarfs. That I entend to use in quilts one day. They aren't Fabric like fat quarters or anything. But the skirts were when they were teens and some baby clothes were my 2 DD and they will be..youngest 46 ,next Friday the 8th. the oldest 47...18 days later Tuesday the 26th.
I have everything stored in one of those bags you use the vacume to suck all the air out and it makes it smaller. Then I have them in a drawer so they don't get light. The bags aren't too exspensive at walmart. Thats what I would do if I had material that old. My opinion, hope I gave you an idea.
BillsBonBon
I have some fabric that is over 50 years old that I plan to turn into a quilt. It was my daughter's great grandmothers fabric. She had cut it up to make a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt and never got around to it. My ex-MIL gave it to me and I plan to make a couple of table runners for each of my girls from it. The fabric still looks excellent and is in great shape.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM

DON'T throw any fabric out as you will use it eventually, and the one you can't find in the future is the one you threw out in the past, but in saying that if you HAVE to throw some out give it to a fellow quilter or maybe a guild to use for charity quilts :-)
Old 01-06-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by rdem
DON'T throw any fabric out as you will use it eventually, and the one you can't find in the future is the one you threw out in the past, but in saying that if you HAVE to throw some out give it to a fellow quilter or maybe a guild to use for charity quilts :-)
Guilds are always eager for fabric for charity quilts. They would definitely welcome anything you don't want.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by omak
What do you all really think about the vacuum bags?
I don't think anyone replied to your question, omak. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't use them under any circumstances. All fabrics, natural and man-made fibers alike, need to breathe and they can't in those things. The vinyl or whatever it is has to be full of chemicals and certainly not acid-free. Nope, I wouldn't use them for anyting at all and especially not for my precious fabric stash!!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM

Some people collect vintage fabric. That stuff can be 60+ years old. If it's cotton and never used or laundered, it seems to be in good shape. You can tell right away if it's rotten. It breaks apart when you sew or press.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
a stash expires with the current owner.

after that it's a collection of vintage heirlooms.

;-)
Patrice, I like the way you think! :lol: :lol:
Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 PM

One of the ways I test fabric to see if it will stand up to quilting is to hold it really tight between my two hands, then take a finger and try to rip it from the center out ... (if the fabric is rotten at any point, it will be easier to do than put it through paper)
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Originally Posted by omak
What do you all really think about the vacuum bags?
I don't think anyone replied to your question, omak. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't use them under any circumstances. All fabrics, natural and man-made fibers alike, need to breathe and they can't in those things. The vinyl or whatever it is has to be full of chemicals and certainly not acid-free. Nope, I wouldn't use them for anyting at all and especially not for my precious fabric stash!!
That is sort of what I have figured. I use the Ziplock bags for short-time storage of a quilt or project, but I don't and won't store any fabric in a plastic bag, though I do not have a problem with the plastic bins ... understanding the manufacturing of the different tensiles in plastic is helpful for making a final decision.
Recycled boxes are a problem for long term storage also, since it takes more process and chemical to recycle cardboard and paper than it took to make the original product.