Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your back ache when you sew quilts? >

Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

Old 10-16-2010, 05:13 PM

Wow! Lot's of good advice and suggestions here !! Thanks to everyone who posted!
I have an additional trick - I keep my small trampoline in my sewing room. I try to bounce 2 minutes every few hours, and it has really helped my neck, shoulders and lower back. It didn't help immediately, but over the last few months I have seen improvement. Along with regular breaks, stretching and moving around. Also, trying to remember good posture. :)
Old 10-16-2010, 06:09 PM

I have my sewing machine sitting on a piece of carpet and I've shoved 2 rubber door stops under the back of my machine so I can easily see my needle. This allows me to sit up straighter and eliminates upper back pain.

I felt like I had developed shin splints after piecing basically non-stop for 6 weeks (probably only 14-16 hours a day, with breaks to iron) and switched my pedal foot to fix that. Guess I got lucky that my back didn't hurt first!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by susies1955
I've heard that these work well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2IIJSA456GAZX
I read it on a quilters blog and she recommended it. I just ordered it.
Susie
I also use this pillow and it certainly helps my back and makes me sit straighter. I am very happy with this product. Cher
Old 10-16-2010, 06:54 PM

I sit in my dining room chair since my 'sewing' room is my dining room too. My back used to hurt until I put 2 sofa pillows on the chair, which lines everything up with my machine. I can't tolerate sitting in low chairs for some reason.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:12 PM

He** yes my back hurts. Might have something to do with having arthritis in that lumbar spine.
But here's what I do.
I have a timer on the shelf beside my machine. I set it for 30 minutes. When it rings, I get up and walk around.
Then reset it when I get back.
Works good for not burning supper while I'm sewing too!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:16 PM

I hand piece and hand quilt so that's not a problem. Sit in a straight chair with a good back.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:19 PM

The most important thing you can teach yourself to do is get up and move around a little at least every 20 minutes or so. Just go get a drink of water, or pet the cat or dog for a second. For me its check on the DH to make sure he is doing ok. But, it sure helps a lot.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by piepatch
A friend told me years ago that her Orthopedic Doctor told her if she would switch to her left foot to sew with, her back wouldn't hurt as much when she sewed. (I guess if you ordinarily sew with your left foot, you would switch to your right foot) Anyway, I tried it for a while and it does seem to work, but lately, not as much as it once did. If I am sewing for a few hours now, I place a pillow to the back of my chair and drape a heating pad over the pillow. Once in a while I will lean back and rest my back against the pillow, and it feels so good!.........and it allows me to sew a while longer.
There are a few back braces that are good for this problem. However, I warn you from experience, that it is always best to get the height of the table and chair correct for your body dimensions. You should also get up every hour and have a stretch and a break for about 15 minutes. I have many medical bills because of my sewing addiction and this is the advice I have from the therapists. Hope you can endure many more hours of the best activity in the world!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 PM

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE TIPS. DUE TO MY CFIDS, NOT ABLE TO QUILT VERY LONG AT A TIME. THEN HAVE ARTHRITIS IN MY NECT AND ROTATAR CUFF THAT WAS FIXED SEVERAL YEARS AGO - LEFT SHOULDER= WAS SO BADLY DAMAGED, DR. DIDN'T HAVE MUCH TO WITH WITH TO FIT AND THEM RT. SHOULDER, NO RC FOUND. MAN AM I SEWING CHALLENGED OR WHAT!!! :lol:
Old 10-17-2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
On of my Guild members always wears this:

http://www.nancysnotions.com/p2p/sea...rrivals&page=1

She says it helps quite a bit.
I have one of these and love it. I bought after the car accident this summer because the physical therapist recommended that I work on my posture. It really helps to learn to sit and stand straight.

Warning - changing your posture takes time and is painful for several weeks as the muscles in your clavicle area need to be stretched. These become shortened with bad posture and ache and are sore when we begin to use them again. :cry: