Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

A friend told me years ago that her Orthopedic Doctor told her if she would switch to her left foot to sew with, her back wouldn't hurt as much when she sewed. (I guess if you ordinarily sew with your left foot, you would switch to your right foot) Anyway, I tried it for a while and it does seem to work, but lately, not as much as it once did. If I am sewing for a few hours now, I place a pillow to the back of my chair and drape a heating pad over the pillow. Once in a while I will lean back and rest my back against the pillow, and it feels so good!.........and it allows me to sew a while longer.

Interesting idea about sewing with the opposite foot on the pedal. I'll try that and the heating pad.
    Thanks for sharing this! :D

Just make sure to stretch your back to ease the stiffness: http://www.bostonyoga.com/chair_yoga.html

Blog Entries
    I don't do any one thing very long at a time. I don't sit, stand, sew, cut, etc very long at a time. It seems to help with all the aches and pains.

Yes, stretching your back is important. Thanks for the reminder and the link.

don't forget ,you should only usea heating pad for 15-20 min .at a time!

That's why I bought my 6600 so I dont use a foot pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by dar627742
    don't forget ,you should only usea heating pad for 15-20 min .at a time!
    I just turn mine on for a few minutes at a time when my back needs a rest, and then turn it off. If I forget, it cuts off automatically after a pretty short time, and I use it on the lowest setting.

Blog Entries
    Great suggestions all. I try to vary my activities so one set of muscles is not always in play and stretching is very important. Thanks, everyone.

Thank You for sharing this tip. My back & shoulders ache when I sew. I have a bad habit of scrunching my shoulders up to my ears. Got to break that! Don't know how it got started.

I've heard that these work well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2IIJSA456GAZX
    I read it on a quilters blog and she recommended it. I just ordered it.
    Susie

I have one of these. It is hard to keep away from the children :-D

Use DUCK tape. :)

Blog Entries
    I have to move around often... no matter what I sit on lol
    Great idea on switching feet! :D:D:D

My neck was really bothering me for about 3-4 wks. Finally realized it was because I sit under the ceiling fan and it blows directly on the back of my neck. DH switched the direction of the air so it blows upwards and now I don't have the neck pain. I still get air circulating in the room. Hope this helps someone.

Because of the lack of space, my sewing machine is typically set up between the small space between the closet and my bed. So whenever my back starts to ache I just get out of the chair, climb right into bed, and lie down and stretch until the pain stops.

I might try that switching feet thing! I always hunch over everything I sew, cut or iron. Tends to make the middle of my back ache after about half an hour.

Still, I usually just take a break, jump on here, talk to DH and go back at it when my back doesn't protest so much.

you could also try switching your chair height. sometimes that makes a big difference too.

Whenever my back starts to hurt i get up and walk around or do something different for a while. That seems to help

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gzbird101
    you could also try switching your chair height. sometimes that makes a big difference too.
    Good idea. An adjustable office chair (without armrests) works well for this.

I wonder how many of us have back aches due to hunching over our computer keyboards?

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Quote Originally Posted by gzbird101
    Good idea. An adjustable office chair (without armrests) works well for this.

I wonder how many of us have back aches due to hunching over our computer keyboards?
    Good question. I do get back aches from hunching over my computer. I catch myself slouching, for like of a better word over my computer with very poor posture, probably more so than at anything else I do. I can imagine that there are a lot of people doing the same thing.

I take lots of breaks, when I stop sewing or cutting, my back stops hurting. Hands clasped over head bending to one side then the other, helps alot. Knees hurt more than anything sitting at the computer.

Yes! Besides walking around, stretching, sometimes (don't laugh!) I put my left leg up on the sewing table - really - somehow it relieves whatever pressure is on whatever is making it hurt. This is not a normal position for me, just whenever nothing else works. I found for sitting at the computer I use a kitchen stool about 24 inches high - not the real tall ones. Helps me sit up straight and doesn't hurt my neck. Too high for sewing though.

When I first got my machine I was using the foot pedal. Now I am using the automatic switch and just press a button to start and stop. I find this a lot more convenient and less stressful on my foot. I can't sew for any long period of time or sit for that matter. I sew for a little while then get up and walk around. I even do some arm and shoulder rolls to avoid the burn, but it happens anyway. Gotta get a new heating pad. When it's really bad, it's a trip to the chiropractor for some electrode therapy and adjustments.

Blog Entries
    I have a comfy office chair that I use when I sew, but my back still hurts! The longer I sew, the more I tend to hunch over my machine...so I just get up, do a few stretches and do something else for a while.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast