Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your DH come with you on shop hops? >

Does your DH come with you on shop hops?

Does your DH come with you on shop hops?

Old 09-15-2017, 06:03 PM

Perhaps the husbands' wife could not drive. Either way, he is a wonderful husband.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:41 PM

Sometimes my Hubby drops me off at the door ae store and nd waits to pick me up at door. I need hip and knee on left side.
Sometimes he comes in the store, gives his opinion. He is a talker he also talks to everyone. All in all it's all good.
Then we stop and get a coffee at WAWA most of the time.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Not if I can avoid it
I know what you mean! He tells me No, I don't mind waiting, take your time. But I know he doesn't mean it and I don't enjoy having to rush in and out.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:17 AM

We do the shop hops together. I sign him up so he gets the freeby stuff too. He brings his Kindle and will read in the car while I shop. When I am ready to check out, I send him a text and comes in to pay for his "1/2" so we both kind of patronize all the shops on the map...
Old 09-16-2017, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
No. Way. In. Hades.

Sabdy
Is that because he does not want to - or you do not want him to?
Old 09-16-2017, 06:48 AM

Noooooooooooooooo I like to go with quilting friends.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:42 AM

No more hubby, but when he was around, I would never have him come with me. Maybe it is an age thing, we separated before age 50. Once I went to a quilt show and he took the kids to a nearby beach. That worked out.

I prefer to shop alone and attend quilt/sewing shows alone. I like to go at my own pace and visit and revisit booths. I took a friend to a quilt show this spring, but I also went the day before, so I could do everything at my own pace. I did 'save' a couple purchases to buy while we were together. We did make a day of it and have a lovely lunch after the show.

If I go to a shop with a non-quilter, I feel I have to rush, or worse explain what all the notions are, what I plan to use the fabric for (they do not understand stash and aging) and get distracted from my own shopping.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:02 AM

Why would I ever want him to come with me?
Old 09-16-2017, 11:04 AM
mac

I sort of accidentally went on my first shop hop with my husband. I was driving him to a doctor's appointment and wanted to go to a new quilt shop in the same town. Since the doctor was 50 miles away, I told him that he owed it to me to go to the new shop.

We just walked into the door and one of the clerks asked me if we were there for the shop hop. Never heard of one before and when they explained what we have to do, I looked at my husband and he said, "why not?" So for the next three days we drove around California, up north, to the south and to the east. It was a lot of fun and even my husband enjoyed it. We got a giggle when I drove 25 miles in the wrong direction, then had to drive back the 25 miles. It was soon after that experience that I invested in a GPS.

In the end, my husband said he had a good time. Of course, one of the cons was that I didn't spend as much time in each store as I would of liked to and I had to keep my shopping spree to a minimum. But I enjoyed his company and he got to see that I am not the only woman that shops for fabric like it is going out of style.

I am sure, that if I wanted to go on another shop hop and I didn't have friends to go with, he would go with me again. I did learn a new trick to keep him dossal, however, I needed to make sure that I fed him every two hours. Of course, since each of the shops had water, food and treats, I didn't have any problem with this.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I won a $300 basket of goodies from one of the shops. My husband felt like he helped me win the prize, so this gave him an incentive to on another one with me.

Last edited by mac; 09-16-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:17 AM

When one of my quilty friends is unavailable, my husband steps up to keep me company. He's pretty content to sit in the car or on a bench reading while I shop. I'm pretty lucky. Did I mention that a few years ago he surprised me with a long weekend trip to Keepsake Quilting? It was wonderful! (I took him over to the coast of Maine for a whale watching tour for being so patient with me.)