Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your DH come with you on shop hops? >

Does your DH come with you on shop hops?

Does your DH come with you on shop hops?

Old 10-03-2016, 03:19 PM

Default Does your DH come with you on shop hops?

I was recently on a shop hop and I saw a DH konked out in the car while waiting for his wife, who was shop hopping. Would yours ever be your chauffeur for a shop hop? I've seen a few pop into shops with their wife...they also get extra freebies that way!

I'm not sure my dh would be willing. I think I'd buy more if he weren't with me....maybe that's why it seems strange to me... But then again, I've got a few friends and/or children who are willing to go with me.

If you've done this, what was your experience like?
Old 10-03-2016, 03:31 PM

I've done this, but I am the DH. I don't stay in the car, I get involved and let my opinion ring out on pattern selection and fabric. I even test out sewing machines before the wife buys them and have service manuals for when that is needed.

Take that DH with you, you might just find a great partner in another one of life's enjoyable adventures. If he is new at this, it's just like taking a kid fishing. Make the trip short, make it a positive thing, and go out for lunch or dinner together after and enoy the time together. He might just think: " that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I actually had fun".

Good luck on having fun together.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:37 PM

My DH will do anything not to go with me. He finds shopping boring and I don't enjoy it when I know he's waiting for me.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:41 PM

Yes, my DH takes me to the little towns around here. He never goes in but will put his head on the headrest in the car and take a nap (the man can sleep standing on his head or during commercials on TV). If I don't come out of the store with a bag in my hand he is disappointed - says "I didn't drive all this way for you to not buy something". I usually have to bribe him with a lunch in a different area than what we have in our little town.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:42 PM

Not on shop hops but when we travel, he always encourages me to research new shops along the way. Thank goodness for the invention of the cell phone. While I try to be quick, he makes calls to friends and family members. Oh and he does 'rest his eyes', too.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Like a previous poster, I am the husband. In my case it's a little different. I sew too. Some apparel, some quilts. My wife and I have been going on the shop hop for many years. Our shop hop has many stores and goes to several towns. As someone else said, we try to find places to eat that are new to us. And, yes, sometimes I get a little bored looking at nothing but quilting cotton. But most of the quilt shops have other stores around them, so I'll go and check them out. One year, I wore a shirt I made that had a disappearing four-patch front. Only in one store did anyone notice it. Oh well, I accept that husbands are generally invisible in fabric stores.

Tate
Old 10-03-2016, 04:59 PM

Oh, yeah he does. strikes up conversations with the clerks while I shop, shows pics of my quilts that he has on his phone, etc.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:04 PM

Iccassio al DH will come with me that is if I promise to feed him . lol I am nortotious for not stopping for lunch - fund it a waste of precious time. He will come in with me sometimes and does enjoy looking at different patterns and materials. We visited a couple of quilt shops in Big Bear CA and I ended up spending more money than I intended because he liked some of the patterns and fabrics for me to make. Lol
Old 10-03-2016, 06:01 PM

It wasn't a shop hop, but...

A month or so ago, we were visiting our oldest son and DIL. Son wanted to go to a particular auto-parts store, and OH BOY, there was a quilt shop in the same little strip shopping center!! So, DIL and I went into the LQS while the men got the car stuff...
A little later, hubby and son came into the shop... and hubby very nearly bought a new Brother sewing/embroidery machine!!!!!!!!!

I talked him out of it, because while he SAID he'd make the payments, he's also retiring in a few months, so the one that would actually be making the payments then would be ME!! Plus, if I was going to spend that kind of $$ on a machine, I want a multi-needle embroidery machine.

So, once he retires, I may well take him along on a shop hop... maybe.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:06 PM

No shop hops but he hardly shops for anything! When we travel he will stop and come in to shops we see. Does like to see what I bought after I shop though. Likes seeing the finished quilt and always asks to see the back (the quilting)