Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your DH come with you on shop hops? >

Does your DH come with you on shop hops?

Does your DH come with you on shop hops?

Old 10-04-2016, 04:23 AM

Yes my DH has gone with me if I was going alone and he is dangerous. He will drop me off at the door then come in after he parks. He is a bad influence - lol. He will show up with bolts of fabric and ask me if they would do for backing and when at the cutting counter if I ask for a yard he will always ask - are you sure you shouldn't buy a bigger piece!
Old 10-04-2016, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

My husband is a very willing shopping partner, he loves shopping. Now he is retired (and even before) he does all the grocery shopping, clothes shopping and as for online shopping, well, he beats me hands down. He is the worst enabler in a fabric store.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:39 AM

I haven't done a shop hop but do frequently take my husband with me on fabric shopping adventures; he has a great eye for color even if his preferences are somewhat different than mine. If I'm looking for just the right fabric, he willingly goes from shop to shop until we find it and usually along the way he finds a two or three things he likes and will ask what I would make with it. Sometimes he has ideas of his own of what he would like to see as well. On vacation we often stop in a fabric store and frankly he is dangerous to take along - he buys far more than I normally would! In fact, on our way back from Colorado last week we spent the night in Albuquerque where there is a shop I have wanted to stop at for a few years but always miss the the store hours. He willingly got a late start the next day so I could go to the store and shop to my hearts content..... Maybe it was because they specialize in Southwest Designs and that's his favorite....... I have a ton of Southwest fabrics now......
Old 10-04-2016, 04:45 AM

No. Way. In. Hades.

Sabdy
Old 10-04-2016, 06:08 AM

Yes, my DH usually goes with me-he is the driver to most of the little shops we go to. He loves to sit outside on a bench or chair and people watch. He is a social butterfly so he usually is visiting with someone when I get out of the quilt shop. We enjoy our time together even if it is a short trip or a travel across the country.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
No. Way. In. Hades.

Sabdy
My feelings exactly, Sandy. Last year I wasn't feeling well before Quilt Fest and had a friend and her mother coming in from out of state for Festival. The first day I was going to go down he said "I could go with you and we could spend the day there" I thought "Oh, h*ll no". I called my friend who was working at Festival and asked for a ride home. I told him all he would have to do is give me a ride down. That way he wouldn't have to take a day off from work because I knew he was busy (True). Am I the wife of the year or what?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

No. I can drive myself to shop. He can come if he wants same as I could go with him to the sports, hardware, building, tractor, and gun shops which he drives himself to. We both decline and say have a good time. LOL
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I think my hubby would rather be kicked in the head by a mule than to shop fabric with me. Actually, it's uncomfortable for me to have him with me. For that matter, I don't enjoy shopping with anyone along... with the exception of my daughter, occasionally. I like to be able to take my time and think about things and I really need to be alone to do this.

I do see older husbands snoozing in the car at one fabric store I go to... but I figured it was probably because the wife doesn't drive. I always thought it was cute and kind of them, and I've told many a man how sweet and patient I thought they were to take their wife shopping.

By the same token, I'd rather DIE than go to the auto parts store with him or, heaven forbid, FOR him! All that grease.... yuk.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 10-04-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:53 AM

My DH has no interest and I have no interest in him going with me. My BF and I usually do the shop hops and have a ball. We do a local one and then a shop hop up by our cottage. Some years the guys do go with us up north but don't do the shop hops.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:27 AM

I absolutely love all the stories and responses! At this point in time, he is not interested in going with me. I usually go during the week, when he works. But he's going to retire at the end of this month...or that's been the plan for nearly 25 years. I'll go with him (if he asks me) to Tractor Supply Co, Lowe's, Walmart to pick up whatever he wants/needs. I do not ask him to accompany me on shop hops. On a rare occasion he'll pop in a LQS with me, but it's usually on the way and I'm not looking for anything, just a quick pop in or I know what I want and will be there less than 5 minutes.

When we do go to 'his stores' I usually wander and keep myself busy until he's ready to leave. He does not do the same...which is why I try to do all my errands while he's working. He does support my fabric habit. I figure that at some point we may be on a fixed income, so if I buy what I need for life while I can, I will have a decent stash to go shopping from when I'm older!