Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your Janome 6600 stitch faster with the foot pedal? >

Does your Janome 6600 stitch faster with the foot pedal?

Does your Janome 6600 stitch faster with the foot pedal?

Old 04-02-2018, 10:31 AM

Default Does your Janome 6600 stitch faster with the foot pedal?

Here's another question for the many, many Janome 6600 owners out there. I've owned my 6600 for 5- 6 years, and have always used the start/stop button rather than the foot pedal. Recently I've been trying to learn ruler work with it, and have needed to use the foot pedal instead... coordination issue. I've noticed the machine stitches So much faster with the foot pedal- when quilting and sewing. What could be the reason for this?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-02-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-02-2018, 10:43 AM

I've never used the start/stop but I would imagine it would go faster if you move
the speed control to the right. Have you tried that?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I've never used the start/stop but I would imagine it would go faster if you move
the speed control to the right. Have you tried that?
ditto ... try adjusting the speed control

Likewise, I never used the start/stop and only the foot pedal!
Old 04-02-2018, 02:42 PM

Umm, yes, I have the speed control all the way to the right...I would Love it if someone else would give it a try and tell me their results...
Many thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
Umm, yes, I have the speed control all the way to the right...I would Love it if someone else would give it a try and tell me their results...
Many thanks.
Did you have it to the right before?
Just wondering if perhaps it got moved accidentally at some point ... as I would think that it would affect the speed when using the stop/start button, just the same.

Sorry, I can't try it for you, as I don't have my 6600 any longer.

It was the machine that I came to love FMQing with!
... it was the BEST machine ever! (and yes, I still say that, even though I traded up.)
Old 04-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
Many thanks.
Ok. I will give it a try and let you know. I suspect it goes slower when you are using
the start/stop because you have less control than with the pedal and to give you time
to press the stop button. If it was going like a bat out of hell, you'd probably be long
way past the point where you want to stop. Does that makes sense?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Did you have it to the right before?
Just wondering if perhaps it got moved accidentally at some point ... as I would think that it would affect the speed when using the stop/start button, just the same.

Sorry, I can't try it for you, as I don't have my 6600 any longer.

It was the machine that I came to love FMQing with!
... it was the BEST machine ever! (and yes, I still say that, even though I traded up.)
I'm totally with you. That's why I kept my 6600 as spare. Couldn't get rid of it.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:02 PM

i never use the foot pedal - only the start stop button. this gives me consistent speed that I like - especially when I am FMQ.. and while I initially I was concerned about hitting the stop button I have no problem at all

moving the control to the right increases the speed. I never go wide open tho
Old 04-02-2018, 04:05 PM

If you are wishing that machine stitched a bit slower when you are using your foot pedal, here is something that you can try - turn your foot pedal around 180 degrees, so that your foot touches only the upper edge of the pedal (which would normally be the "back" of the foot pedal) - this can make it easier to depress the pedal only a small amount and get a slower speed.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:06 PM

Yes, I love my 6600, too. I've FMQ'd so many quilts with it, I've lost count. It's a great machine, and I usually FMQ and piece with it at full speed, but have noticed lately that I need to slow down my hand speed during FMQ in order to keep my stitches the right size, and have been thinking about purchasing a faster machine for piecing.

I just think it's strange that it goes so much faster with the foot pedal, my dealer didn't think there should be any difference, but couldn't find anything wrong with the switch... If anyone who currently owns a 6600 would give test the speed with the foot pedal vs the start/stop button, I would really appreciate it.

I really should take the time to learn to upload photos of some of my quilts... I'm just too lazy, and it never seems very intuitive to me... I lose interest in figuring it out.