Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does Your Local Quilt Store.....

Blog Entries
    I would have said okay here is my address mail it to me! I want what I pay for.
    Got fabric?

My local quilt store does not charge for shipping on anything they order for me.

Some times I think the shipping is included in the price of the book.

No, I've never paid shipping on anything for a class. Nor, would I pay it. That's ridiculous!
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    The smart shops charge the price listed on the book. They get a deal on the shipping. They get a deal on the books they purchase. By charging the cost on the book, they are recouping their shipping costs, plus making a profit of the difference between costs they initially paid and what you paid. The smart shops don't tell you what you are being charged for shipping. It is included in the other costs. And then no one says anything. Everyone wins. Repeat: The Smart Shops.

We get a discount on the class supplies purchased at the LQS - never heard of a shipping charge!
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    sounds strange to me. I have had shops "special order" patterns for me. They only charge for the item, never the shipping.
    I agree. I have had numerous shops order patterns and books and material for me and I have never been charged a shipping fee. I would talk to them about it and if that's their normal policy I wouldn't buy any more books from them. Besides as someone else said you can usually get them way cheaper on the internet.
    Kelly

Blog Entries
    That is plain mean spirited! Whatever the logic of it (and I see none), a store should realise that, if you are not feeling comofrtable and valued, you are less likely to go back.
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    wow !! I would find another LQS For sure and ask up front if they charge like that !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

That seems like very "small potatoes" on the LQS's part......Getting whatever is needed into their shop for a class would seem to be part of the expense of being in and doing business. If nothing else, they could have been a little more discrete by tacking on a couple extra $$ on the class fee to cover their costs if need be.

No way should you have been charged shipping charges unless the book was sold to you at a really great price. Shop owners that pull that type of thing don't end up with happy customers. Sorry this happened to you.

Kat

Blog Entries
    I have learned to be careful about classes all the good quilt shops usually gives a discount on all supplies for the class
    some even offer fabric discounts all day while there I took a class once where there was no discount so I did not buy my fabric there either went where I got a guild discount

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Actually, the instructor was most likely correct in charging you sales tax. If her business is from a state that has sales tax, and her banking institution where she processes her sales and credit card charges is also in that state, she is by law required to charge sales tax, even if she's physically in another state.
    Going OT briefly to clarify this comment...

She may be required to collect tax in many states because of inter-state agreements (it's actually called a use tax when selling outside of your home state), but it's the tax rate of the state in which the sale takes place and is to be remitted to that state, not your home state. The purpose of the agreement is so the state loses no revenue by allowing out-of-state retailers to operate within its borders and so the state's own retailers do not operate at a disadvantage.

In no case, when purchasing within your home state/county, do you owe sales tax at a different rate than that of your home state/county. Since New Hampshire's sales tax rate is 0%, the class instructor/seller was definitely out of line.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I'm afraid that would be the last of my money they ever got. That is insane.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    That sounds like a rip-off. Shops around here give a discount on supplies used for classes. I've never heard of paying for shipping unless something is actually shipped to me.

That's unfortunate but the few dollars tagged on for shipping can cost the LQS way more than any amount earned. Nobody likes to be nickel and dimed to death.

Blog Entries
    That's a rip-off, i would have walked out and never return, but we have plenty of LQS here that i could do that. Or, tell them in the future if you are going to tack on that fee to let you know and your business will be taken elsewhere.
    Mary

One of our LQSs has great classes...no shipping charges...she even serves lunch at her expense!!!

I would think the store would include the shipping costs in their markup so one wouldn't SEE it!
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Blog Entries
    There could be several reasons you were charged shipping, and we do not know those reasons. It is really impossible to know if it is fair or not without knowing the reason for the charge. I would simply ask the LQS why you are were charged a shippng charge.
    Sadiemae

Sounds like a rip off. Did they charge the suggested retail cost? Most LQS buy their books through a distributor that charges less than the SRP even with the shipping charges.

We only have one local quilt store & when I have taken a class if there is a charge for the class she prints out instructions & gives us a discount on the material & even if we go back for more fabric she gives a discount then too. When it is time for the backing fabric there is also a discount. She has even ordered patterns for me when she orders & I only pay the price that is on it NO shipping of other charges other than State & city sales taxes. Ours is locally owned. She is also a great quilter.

Blog Entries
    I have taken several classes, sometimes not even buying fabic at shop and NEVER been charged for any additional cost except taxes All the shops give 10-15% on anything you buy in the shop that day.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure I pay for the charges but it is figured into the price.

Blog Entries
    Live in central Texas and have never been charged shipping charge. Perhaps something new shop owners are/will be starting?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast