Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Does Your Local Quilt Store.....

Mine doesn't charge a shipping charge and usually doesn't charge the full price of the book.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Now you'll probably never take another class there, because of this practice, so what have they gained?

Sounds a little on the greedy side to me
    pat design

I agree that if the store is hosting the class (at least the ones I've attended), the store will usually give some kind of class discount for class supplies. I have never heard of charging full price + shipping.

Wow that's different, I'd not sign on to that if you're buying book, paying for class, and buying material from the shop and that said, paying a minimum of 50% mark up on the book and fabrics. I've never heard of a shop charging shipping on a book, that's downright greedy.
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

I've taken a few classes. If book/pattern required- I can bring with me or buy at the LQS for retail or on sale. Fabric- can bring mine or buy onsite- usually at 20% discount. No separate shipping fee! Tax on pattern/book/fabric is charged as required by law. Any shipping the LQS is charged to obtain the above is always an integral part of the cost of the materials, to which they add their profit and determine the price. I think your LQS needs some education. It may be an honest mistake, but I don't think so. Let us know how it turns out!

I would look around for another LQS I think.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

Blog Entries
    Never heard of that :0 . When we sign up for a class we get 10% off books and fabric .

QKO
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    The smart shops charge the price listed on the book. They get a deal on the shipping. They get a deal on the books they purchase. By charging the cost on the book, they are recouping their shipping costs, plus making a profit of the difference between costs they initially paid and what you paid. The smart shops don't tell you what you are being charged for shipping. It is included in the other costs. And then no one says anything. Everyone wins. Repeat: The Smart Shops.
    Tell me please how you get a "deal" on shipping as a shop. As a shop owner I'd really like to know. And yes, we do pay shipping on everything that's shipped into our store. The only people who get "deals" on purchasing and shipping are the big outlets like Amazon and the big box stores. That's why they can often sell books for less than your regular LQS can buy them for and get them shipped in. And that's also why many many small online stores don't carry many, if any books anymore.

To the original poster -- if your LQS is charging you full cover price for the book, and not shipping it to you, they should not be charging you an additional shipping fee. If they are sending it to you in advance of the class, or selling it to you at cost, then they probably should be charging you for shipping.

Sounds like she's double dipping. Businesses get to deduct things like shipping costs straight off their income.

Blog Entries
    Never charged here well unless it is buried in the class fee.............calla

If the instructor was from out of state, you basically purchased from her as if she was located in her state. She possibly charged you her state sales tax. She had to show that sale from her location.
    On the shipping charges for the book, the shop may have had to order those as a special order from someone that did not deal through their standard distributors thus they could not combine order amounts to place a minimun order to get free shipping. Occasionally I have to do this, but not often.
    OzarksGma
    OzarksGma

Working at a LQS, we only charge shipping on special orders, where the customer does not want to wait for the item to come with a regular order. Every business out there will tell you how shipping is raising prices -- almost on a weekly basis. Everything in this world is transported, and often many times, between point A and it's final destination.
    However, this shop owner needs to consider her customers - she would probably be the first to complain if Walmart or Safeway had an additional shipping fee on the purchase of hamburger, buns and mustard!

ridiculous. I would never go back there.

I would find another LQS, but not before I told the first one that I wouldn't be back and why! That's ridiculous! For the price of the class and the fabric, you would think they would throw the book in at their cost. Somebody is definitely taking advantage of the quilting students.

You should not be charged for the shipping of a book from LQS.

Blog Entries
    I used to own a bricks and mortar quilt shop. I never charged shipping on books, patterns or notions. In fact I usually charged less than the MSRP. Fabric is a different story. Fabric shipping is so expensive that I worked shipping charges into the price per yard, which is standard operating procedures.
    Peggy
    Keep on Quilting!
    http://www.beehivequilts.com
    http://www.beehivequilt.blogspot.com/

Never heard of such a thing !
    I used to work and teach at 2 LQS a few yrs back, the only things we charged a customer SH for were special orders ... We gave a DISCOUNT on fabrics, sometimes on the book or pattern when you took a class !
    Sounds like this shop needs to learn about customer appreciation !
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 05-28-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    what???? that is just nuts....I would call her out on that because as a shop she does NOT pay shipping charges on her merchandise, unless it is large "freight" items...books, NO shipping charges!

I would have told her to keep it, you could get it cheaper with NO shipping on Amazon!

I know everyone wants to keep their LQS open and all, but honestly, if that is her practice, let her close!

I agree, shops don't pay shipping on books. The price of the book is in the ISBN code on the back and that is all you should pay, plus the appropriate sales tax (if your state has sales tax). I wouldn't take classes there any longer.

I've only taken one class at a LQS. I did get something taken off the fabric I bought but don't remember how much. That was 3 years ago and "I've slept since then".

That is not right .. to pay full retail plus shipping!!??!!! That would be the last class I took at that shop. I would also tell the owner why.

If you walked into the store & purchased the book, would they add the shipping charges to the price on the book? Probably not. I agree with others, rip off! I would certainly express my unhappiness with this policy to the management and make it clear to them that not only would you not be interested in future classes, but you would spread the word to friends & contacts about the unrealistic policy. That is just greedy.

Never have I been charged a shipping fee in several LQS that I shop at. I can't believe a quilt shop would charge a customer for a ship fee. !

I would also like to make the point that a good business person would have got a bulk supply rate from their wholesaler (which one hopes would be passed on to the customer after a reasonable markup) and would have thought twice about being seen to be gouging customers. The book price, even inflated, would have been better off buried in the class fee! Unbelievable. This sort of thing is how brick and mortar stores drive themselves out of business.

Speaking of which, a relatively new quilt store locally was very bright in realizing stocking all the colours of the Kona Cottons would be a good marketing tool, and would really draw in the younger and art quilters. But recently I popped in with a solids shopping list and they were out of several of the colours I needed. Hmmm. Bad enough they are not managing the reorders in a pre-emptive fashion (you can't sell what is not on the shelf), they just left it at that..."we are out". They should have said "I am so sorry you came in and we were out of stock, let me order those colours in right away and I will give you a call when they are here, they should be in next week!". As it was I decided to order online instead.

My LQS never charges for that and gives a 20% discount on any fabric, etc. required for the class! I love my LQS : )
    Barb

No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them to...Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4