Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does your LQS have a toy box?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Seriously. The one I shopped at most, when my kids were small, had a toy box to keep the kids busy while I shopped.

It was the Quilt Farm in Boston, NY. http://www.quiltfarm.net/

Now that I think of it... that was the only LQS I was ever in that had a toy box.

Had anybody else seen a toy box in their LQS?

No!!! What an idea!!

I "think" my old LQS that closed about 15 years ago had one. It's kind of fuzzy, but that rings a bell. I've not seen one at any other LQS... although I do see it as a good draw to young mothers, I believe the largest percentage of customers at a quilt store is probably the "over 50" range. Looking at it from a purely practical stand-point a "play area" would take away valuable floor and sales space. Now it's hard for LQS to stay in business and that floor space is more valuable now than ever. I'm sure there are some nasty customers (grouchy ladies) that don't want kids around, bothering them. So, I think LQS owners would probably get an earful from ladies who are trying to escape their kids;>

Pam
    Not at mine!

My favorite has a jigsaw puzzle set up. I think it's wonderful when stores do that. Makes you feel like you can take your time without worrying about what the kids are up to.

Yes, Great American Quilt Factory in Denver, CO has a play area with a small table and chairs and lots of toys to keep the kids occupied while Mom shops.

They also have some nice chairs by the book section so you can really relax while deciding which book is the one for you.

I used to live in Denver, and this was my favorite LQS.

Not the ones closest to my home. I have seen them in a couple of Quilt shops that I have visited.

Blog Entries
    I've seen it be a bad idea too! One kid bops another kid over the head with a toy, one tears pages out of the books, one throws the toys across the room. With the mothers I've run into lately that think it's cute for their kids to be a brat, I don't think I'd want to be around a play center in a small store.

The Granary, around here, has a play spot. Very thoughtful.

Yes, we have a few quilt stores in the area with play area. I'm sure it keeps little ones occupied for a while why mom is busy.

Now that you mention it, I've never even seen a child in any of the quilt shops I've ever been in. :shock:

No, not at any around here! It is a nice idea, though!

YES ONE! and when I walked in with my 3yr old GD the owner tells her to touch all the fabric.

The BEST Quilt shop I have ever been in
    Fayetteville NC, 'Loving Stitches" might actually be in Spring Lake, not Fayettville.

I saw one at a bead store we went to...it was GENIOUS! She probably doubled her sale that day because we had time to browse. :D

Blog Entries
    Not mine

Yes, the LQS I go to does. My children were already older when I started going there but I think it is a wonderful idea.

Blog Entries
    My favorite LQS doesn't have a toy box or play area, but she does have two recliners and a coffee table full of sports mags and Newsweek for the "bigger male kids"!

There are toys at my LQS. My DGD thought that was so cool the first time we went in. Now that she does some sewing on her little machine she would rather check out the fat quarters. I love watching the look on her face as she touches fabric. She is hooked on it just like grandma.

My LQS has toys and a husbands' couch. It's a super comfy couch in the corner for your husband (or boyfriend, in my case) to sit at and relax while you take your time shopping. It's a genius idea. Occupy hubby and the kids, relax, and spend lots of $$

And as a follow up - I went to Jared jewelry store for the first time. They have a whole game ROOM for the kids with a video game system. And a room with coffee/cuppacino/water/etc etc. Good business pratices :D

Mine does here in NJ and i am soooooooo thankful they do too. We were there today and my daughter went straight to it to play lol

Not many in my area has toy box available. However, the ones that do are not very good. They make unsafe mistakes like placing the play area near an outside door where kids can easily slip outside. I have even been in a shop where the play area is not properly lighted so the kids are too scared to stay. Not to mention it smelled like mildew. It looks like the owners don't seem to take the time to make that area more comforting to the children so the kids would like to stay and leave their mothers alone to do more shopping. When my kids do go with me to shops and play in the toy box, I always make sure my kids put all the toys back. I make sure the place is left in the condition we showed up to. I also make my kids thank the shop staff when we leave. Having worked in retail I understand how unbearable it can be for the staff to hear unruling children one after another. When I was working I vowed never to be one of those moms that let their children treat stores like a playground or think their children couldn't possibly do anything wrong. Like shoplifting or knocking down displays. My oldest is ADHD so I have to make sure he does not leave the store. My second oldest has butterfingers so I have to tell him to stop touching stuff unfortunately he is very texturally absesses. My third oldest is affraid of everything. So he usually is attached to my leg unless the shop has Tootsie Rolls then he just sticks close to me like my shadow. My youngest likes to rearrange the stores' displays, give the patrons hugs whether they are expecting it or not, and he thinks his dimple is his VIP access to everywhere. I try to go LQS shopping solo. If I do have to bring my entourage I only go if I have something specific like buying batting.

My LQS that I'm about 1.5 miles away from does not have a toybox.

However, the quilting/textile goods store that's about.. 2-3 miles away has a lego table at the back of the store. I went in there with my oldest daughter about a month ago while my husband and my younger daughter waited in the car -she had fallen asleep- and told my daughter to stay at the table and play with the legos. I kept going to periodically check on her, and she was super quiet and playing by herself nicely. Then when I was ready to check out, I told her as soon as I was done paying for my stuff it was time to go. She actually was ok with that and I didn't have to fight with her to leave.

There's also a scrapbooking store near my old apartment on the other side of town that even had a little 4 by 4 area with toys too, and it even had a gate, so the kids couldn't take off and create havoc in the store. I think it's okay for kids to touch fabric -as long as their hands are clean. Before taking my girls into a fabric or craft store, I always wipe their hands and faces off with a baby wipe to make sure there's nothing that can stain or dirty stuff up.

I think it's a fantastic idea, and more stores should do it. Even if it's just a small box of toys in the classroom area -so it doesn't take up retail space- would be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    Yes, Great American Quilt Factory in Denver, CO has a play area with a small table and chairs and lots of toys to keep the kids occupied while Mom shops.

They also have some nice chairs by the book section so you can really relax while deciding which book is the one for you.

I used to live in Denver, and this was my favorite LQS.
    I used to live in Denver too, but back then I didn't quilt. My kids still live there. Next time I go visit I will have to go there. Do you remember what part of town it was in?

My LQS has some dolls and doll cribs, but I don't think they're used very often. It also has a husband's area, which has a good view of the cash register LOL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast