Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't this seem like a lot?

I'm looking at a pattern called 4 Square Fun and it says the requirements for a queen size 88" x 100" is 32 fat quarters. 32/4 = 8 yards of fabric? and that's just the center of the quilt, add on 3 yards for the border.

Isn't 8 yards an awful lot of fabric for a queen size quilt? Is something wrong with the fabric requirements?

8 yards is about right for the total of one side of a queen size. I have a queen size bed, so I look at lots of patterns for them, but if you added 3 more yards...to one side? that would be GIMONGOUS!
    that must be for king kong's bed. must be a misprint or something. :shock: :-)

Regarding the borders, perhaps the borders are cut on the lengthwise of the fabric instead of crosswise. I usually try to cut my borders on the lengthwise of the fabric for there is less stretch in the fabric and it keeps the borders from stretching.

Regarding the center of the quilt, it sounds like 32 different fabrics are needed and you will have some left over, for your stash? Don't really know without seeing the pattern.

I think it sounds about right. Remember the more you cut the fabric up, the more you need to cover all the seams and such. And they could be having you cut the borders lengthwise. It may not be using the full fat quarter. Some patterns make more efficient use of the fabrics than others.

Thanks... that just seemed way too much to me at first glance. I guess if it's 44" wide fabric and you put two lengths side-by-side, that's 88". If each piece is 4 yards long then that's 144". Of course, some will be taken up with all the seams, etc.

I guess that's right. Now just have to decide if I want to purchase 32 FQs to make it! :P

Depending on the pattern, many fat quarter patterns can be cut out of 1/4 yard of fabric. I have several that I just cut from my yardage instead of buying or making fat quarters. So.... check the pattern you may be able to just use some yardage you have or if your fabric store doesn't like to cut fat quarters for you just use a 1/4 yard cut. Also many of the fat patterns can also be sewn from scraps as well. Have fun!!!

Seems like a lot to me.

Well, I ordered a set of 31 FQs of Civil War reproduction, Vicksburg. It is masculine and not too flowery for a quilt for my brother. I'll see how it goes and I'll need a dark brown for the border anyway so if it is not quite enough I can mix in the brown.

The pattern calls for 8 FQs of 4 different fabrics, though the picture is 8 different fabrics. I'll use all different since it doesn't make a big difference in how the pattern turns out.

Send us pictures. I can't wait to see the pattern. Sounds cool.

the fabric requirements sound just about right to me. And as for the 3 yds of fabric for border, you will probably need almost 1 yd of that for binding when the quilt is done. Enjoy Marge

reading everybody else's answers, having leftovers, if they have you cut borders along selvedge, and it will take almost a yard for binding...guess king kong's not getting this one, lol! I'm like you, at first I was like, wow, 11 yards? sounds like a great quilt. hope there will be pics involved. I'll be glad when I can share pics too. (I'll be glad when my stuff is something I want other ppl to see pics of)....soon...sigh...I just keep on tryings C :-)

[quote=pittsburgpam]Well, I ordered a set of 31 FQs of Civil War reproduction, Vicksburg. It is masculine and not too flowery for a quilt for my brother. I'll see how it goes and I'll need a dark brown for the border anyway so if it is not quite enough I can mix in the brown.

The pattern calls for 8 FQs of 4 different fabrics, though the picture is 8 different fabrics.[quote]

Since I messed up the quote thing, let me try again.
    Numbers confuse me and I hate math but if I were reading that pattern I would think it meant 8 FQ's of 4 different fabrics. If that means a total of 8 fat quarters wouldn't that be 2 yards or... if you used 8 fat quarters of different fabrics that would be 4 yards, right?
    16 FQ's would give you a 72" x 88" quilt without borders. How wide and how many borders does it call for?

I realized that using the Civil War reproduction called Vicksburg is particularly appropriate for my brother. Our great-great-grandfather, Elias Yarborough, born in 1836, was captured at Vicksburg, Miss. I think I'll write this up for a label on the back of the quilt.

1862 24 Apr. Elias Yarborough (or Yarberry), private, Company H, 36th Regiment, Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of Tennessee, C.S.A., Whitfield County, Georgia. Captured at Vicksburg, Miss. July 4, 1863, and paroled there July 9, 1863. Roll for Sept. 1, 1863, last on file, shows him present. No later record. Roster of Confederate Soldiers of Georgia 1861-1865, Henderson, Vol. 3, p. 997.

Quote Originally Posted by auntluc
    Since I messed up the quote thing, let me try again.
    Numbers confuse me and I hate math but if I were reading that pattern I would think it meant 8 FQ's of 4 different fabrics. If that means a total of 8 fat quarters wouldn't that be 2 yards or... if you used 8 fat quarters of different fabrics that would be 4 yards, right?
    16 FQ's would give you a 72" x 88" quilt without borders. How wide and how many borders does it call for?
    It's 8 each of 4 different fabrics, 32 FQs. For a baby size it is 2 of each (8 FQ), throw is 2 of each (8 FQ), twin is 4 of each (16 FQ), queen is 8 of each (32 FQ). The borders are 10 1/2" wide cut on the lengthwise grain (parallel to the selvedge). It shows a scalloped border so you need it wide to do that. Don't know if I will scallop it or not for a man's quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    I'm looking at a pattern called 4 Square Fun and it says the requirements for a queen size 88" x 100" is 32 fat quarters. 32/4 = 8 yards of fabric? and that's just the center of the quilt, add on 3 yards for the border.

Isn't 8 yards an awful lot of fabric for a queen size quilt? Is something wrong with the fabric requirements?
    11 total yards of fabric doesn't sound like a lot to me... But I've already gone into the realm of almost 15 or more for one quilt, and there's plans for one that would take 27... I know, I'm crazy, but I'm perfectly OK with that.

You probably won't use the whole fat quarter, sounds like a scrappy kind of quilt, and the 3 yards for the borders will probably get cut straight-of-grain, that's why it's 3 yards long. If you want your binding to match the outside border, get another yard. Just remember to take it off the yardage before you cut the borders (ask me how I remember to do this :roll: ).

Post pics of progress. Would love to see.

Often the border fabric requirement includes binding.

My head hurts just reading this. :shock:

I pulled out one of my favorite fat quarter patterns last night and it called for 33 fat quarters for a queen size plus additional fabrics for 2 borders and binding. It also called for 8 1/2 yards of fabric for the backing. So, this is a normal amount for a quilt that size. A queen is about 3 times the size of a large lap

[quote=Kara]
    Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    11 total yards of fabric doesn't sound like a lot to me... But I've already gone into the realm of almost 15 or more for one quilt, and there's plans for one that would take 27... I know, I'm crazy, but I'm perfectly OK with that.
    How in the world can one quilt take 27 yards of fabric? :shock:

i know that for a queen [/i]backing[i] only, you need eight yards + a little extra all the way around.

Blog Entries
    i always assume my quilt top is going to take a minimum of 11 yards of fabric, unless it is a simple 4 patch or something along those lines, so, 8 yards is pretty good.

Adding the pravanance to the quilt is a super idea. I'm a collector and the more you know about an item, the more valuable it will become in the future.

all those 1/ 4 inch seams add up.
    I did a queen just by sewing two 45's together and tying it and it took 7.5 yards, and its not really long enough. Goes over the pillows, but kinda short at the foot. Only leaves about 10 inches hanging down if that.

Have a wonderful day.

simple quilter

hi,
    I agree with Bluebell, 3 yds for borders cut on lengthwise grain, and 32 fat quarters will give you leftovers for your stash, and without seeing the pattern it's hard to say anything else. If pattern need many different fabric whether in only a couple of colorways or if it's going to be more scrappy then you need a lot of different fabrics also. Perhaps you can see what size pieces you're going to cut and maybe you have fabric in your stash that will surfice (whether it's scrappy or a particular color). Then maybe you won't have to buy as much fabric

peel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast