Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doing Research for a New Machine >

Doing Research for a New Machine

Doing Research for a New Machine

Old 04-07-2015, 06:02 AM

Default Doing Research for a New Machine

I could use some recommendations. I've gone through the threads here and have made some notes of machines I want to check out. My requirements are very simple - I really only need straight stitches, but the ability to make labels with fancy stitches would be a plus, I only do piecing but would like to try my hand at FMQ someday, quiet, and smooth operation. As far as price - under $300 would be good but I could justify up to $500. I'm sewing on a 70s Kenmore now and also have my MIL Huskystar which isn't working at the moment. I think the biggest decision is whether I want mechanical or computerized. Thoughts?<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f81c71f0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
Old 04-07-2015, 06:07 AM

I don't think there are any strictly mechanical machines made any more with the exception of the new treadles.
Even the least expensive machines with have plastic gears or a small computer board which limit their life span.

Your very best option is to take your fabric with you and assemble a block on many different machines. That stiffened stuff they use of sampling stitch will sew beautifully on any machine.

happy shopping!

I would look for needle up/down option
needle threader
good lighting
for quilting the wider the harp the easier the task, but you can quilt on any machine.

Many members here are pleased with their Brothers machine from Walmart which I think are in the $300.00 range.

My take it to the grave with me machine is my Singer 404 from the early 60's.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 04-07-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I have a Brother SQ9000 that Jim got for me in July of 2010. It is wonderful. Lots of attachments, 80 stitches, needle threader, and is computerized. Only $199 at Walmart.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 AM

I'm extremely pleased with my Brother PC420PRW. It has 294 stiches and 3 lettering options, more than I will ever use. I had two other Brothers from Wal-Mart before selling them for my current machine. All were extremely nice. I just upgrade little by little. Still love my SE400 I use for embroidery only now. The most noticeable thing about the PC420 is that it is SO quiet! I purchased from Amazon and they still have it for $369 and shipping is free. I agree that a needle up/down, threader, and good light would be 3 things I would now have to have on a machine. It handles the fmq I've done really well. Good luck!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:09 AM

I have struggled with the same thing....mechanical (mostly) vs. computerized. I hate to spend a ton of money on a machine that I know going in doesn't have a long life span. But I guess that's the way of the world now. Sigh.

Brothers seem to be well liked in the
Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM

I would also recommend that you look at the Brother PC420. I love mine! Besides the great needle threader, knee lift (which is now a must have for me), speed control, etc etc, it also has a couple of different alphabets that are great for making labels for your quilts. I did splurge and buy the extension table to go on this machine. It comes with lots of feet, including a walking foot and a darning foot for fmq, but I did have to buy a 1/4 inch quilting foot.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:23 PM

I recently bought a Janome Class Mate S-750 for less that 400.00 it is a manual machine and what school buy for their sewing classes, so they are built to last. The one I had before this I bought in 1990 and it still works, just thought I wanted a new one before the entirely quilt making mechanical ones.
the machine has the regular six or seven zig zag stitches.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Buying a new DSM is like buying a car. You got to get out there and test drive them. At least Walmart has a good return policy. Make sure if you go there to tape the receipt onto the box so you won't lose it!!
Old 04-07-2015, 02:43 PM

I will probably need a new DSM someday.

Don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles.

My list is:

A few ZZ and deco stitches
Droppable feed dogs
Adjustable presser foot
Reasonable throat space
Built in walking foot function would be nice
Automatic buttonholer

aaaand the most important thing....

would be a needle threader because it's getting harder and harder to see that tiny little hole
Old 04-07-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
I will probably need a new DSM someday.

Don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles.

My list is:

A few ZZ and deco stitches
Droppable feed dogs
Adjustable presser foot
Reasonable throat space
Built in walking foot function would be nice
Automatic buttonholer

aaaand the most important thing....

would be a needle threader because it's getting harder and harder to see that tiny little hole

..........I have a hint to help with threading the needle. This is for needles that thread from the front.
Put your left thumbnail behind the tip of the needle and gently press it forward. You can see your nail behind the hole of the needle. Threading through the hole is so much easier now, with right hand. it works almost every time for me now.