Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some ideas please >

Need some ideas please

Need some ideas please

Old 04-04-2015, 06:46 AM

Default Need some ideas please

Hi Ladies,

I was a member of this board several years back and because life gets in the way of all things good, I let it slip away.

I changed computers, lost bookmarks and then forgot about you wonderful ladies. I came across a post that was posted here in an internet search, clicked on it and it brought me right back. So I would like to say Hello again!

In the time that I have been away, I have begun to design quilt patterns. My students say that my instructions are wonderful, clear and easy to follow, so that gave me encouragement to continue.

I have posted a couple of things for sale but one of them is not selling very well. I asked another board that I am what they thought of the design, and they all told me that it was too simple and that they wouldn't buy it because they could figure it out themselves.<sigh>

So here is what I am seeking from you ladies. Ideas on what you would like to see in a quilt pattern.

I try to design for the beginning quilter? Is that market over saturated with that type of pattern and should I concentrate on more advanced patterns?

Is there a particular block or blocks that you would like to see set into a quilt?

What fabrics do you like to use?

Do you like pre-cuts, yardage or your stash, or all of them put together?

What size quilts do you like to make?

What would wow you into buying a pattern?

I sit at my software or stare at my quilt block encyclopedias and draw a total blank.

Thanks for your help!

Susan</sigh>
Old 04-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I don't want anything simple either. A unique pattern or technique is what I usually look for. An indication of skill level: beginner, intermediate etc. is helpful.

In addition to all the responses I'm sure you are going to get here, there are a couple of Yahoo groups dedicated to Quilt Designers. QUILT PATTERN-DESIGNERS COLLECTIVE is one.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:14 AM

Hi Susan,
welcome back! I remember you.

I like to to make quilts that are large lap size, twin, or full size. I personally look for more intermediate to advanced patterns. With that said, I find that I'm not buying many patterns anymore because I am like you in that I can find blocks that I can design a quilt around. I like to see interesting secondary designs created by value and color placement.
There are so many different preferences that it still may be hard for you to "crack the code", even if you get a thousand responses.
Half of quilters use pre-cuts; half don't see them as a good enough value and like to cut what they need from yardage.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:57 AM
RST

I think that the need for beginner / easy patterns is low -- there are a ton of free or low cost online tutorials and patterns to help the absolute newbie along, and any quilter with some experience and chutzpa can probably figure it out on their own -- so why buy a pattern.

I rarely buy patterns, but when I do, things that make it worthwhile for me

-- multiple sizes -- yardage breakdown for everything from wallhanging to king, and I also appreciate a pattern writer who tells you -- each block will require X-- as I like to be able to make my own adaptations.

-- a clever time saving technique or method that I would not have thought of before.

-- some input on the process -- best way to press seams, considerations in color and fabric choices.

-- online presence and support. An example of a pattern designer who does this well is Julie of Jaybird Quilts. She has Instagram, Flickr, blog, etc sites where people post photos of quilts using her patterns, and she actively engages with people who are making her quilts, offering tips and encouragement. I like this because over time you get a huge range of images that give you an idea of how the pattern looks in many different color or fabric choices.

-- I hear lots of friends say they only buy pdf or instant download patterns. They want to keep it on the computer, not cluttering up their rooms. You will probably find just as many people who say they only buy printed paper. So maybe offer both/either.

I tend to be more likely to buy a pattern for a bag or tote than a quilt -- just because my solo improv efforts there have not been so successful, and I think a pro has something to offer me in bag construction (sometimes I've been disappointed on that score).

A really good name for the design helps. Something that's descriptive, memorable, accessible. A good example-- "Chainlinked". Or "Gravity".

Good photography -- of the steps along the way (or if you are a wiz at line drawings, that's actually my preference.) And of the finished product.

I think it has to help if you're a bit of a prophet and can sense the next trends in home decor and design. Probably most of the pattern buying market is relatively young/new to quilting (the long timers tend to already have an accumulation of to-do patterns and idea) so you're probably trying to appeal to the younger aesthetic and their tastes. And their fabric interests. So, lot of people oohing and ahhhing over Cotton and Steel. They're fun and funky and fresh, and very on trend, but the fabrics are kind of different, and don't always lend themselves to every quilt pattern.

I think that patterns that are readily used with pre-cuts are always going to be popular. How many times have you seen someone post or heard someone in a quilt shop say -- I have this jelly roll but don't know what to do with it, or I love this charm pack, but I'm not sure how to make it work. I like patterns that specify fabric requirements as: x fat quarters, or a charm pack plus jelly roll, or one layer cake plus scraps equal to 1 yard. By doing that figuring for the consumer, you increase the chances of a google search leading them to your pattern when they type in "charm pack quilt pattern".
Old 04-04-2015, 12:05 PM

I still like simple patterns (I quilt for relaxation) but am also pretty good at figuring out how a pattern is put together. I won't buy something I can find in one of my books or on the Internet, for free.

What I will buy, are patterns with appliqué or embroidery elements, or special assembly techniques. I will buy patterns with actual 'patterns' instead of just block/color arrangements.

I strongly dislike patterns which call for pre-cuts, unless they also provide regular yardage requirements.

It's nice to have a choice between PDF and paper patterns. If I buy a PDF, I expect it to cost at least a little less than the paper pattern.

Last edited by Neesie; 04-04-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:59 PM

I only buy patterns that are unique---a design I couldn't figure out myself. It might contain applique patterns or a method or instructions that help a complex pattern or design seem doable. I would buy a simple pattern that was dressed up with a unique border, applique or embroidery accents, etc. Successful quilt designers usually have a signature design style.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:15 PM

Susan, I am just getting started in quilting, and in purchasing patterns. I went to your craftsy page to see your patterns,though I am currently not in the market for more patterns, and my only suggestion is to have photos of the quilt in different colors. As a beginner I cannot picture a pattern in different colors, so if the first photo has colors not to my taste I tend to look past the pattern.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:40 PM

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the answers, they gave me a good start and a lot to think about and digest. I am finding the same theme with a lot of answers is that if you are not new, then you can create it yourself, I know that one for a fact because I can take a picture, take it into EQ and duplicate it in about 10 to 20 minutes. The fact that there are so many free patterns out there, makes it hard to sell one. Coming up with unique is difficult and that is the other theme that I am hearing on this and the other board that I am a member of. Laura, I have often thought about the multiple colorways for a quilt as I too have a problem with that at times, I may just have to start using my pattern testers quilts in my instructions as well.

I am working on a pattern that is unique, taking a bit more time to write it than I had expected, but it is coming together.

What do you ladies think about special rulers or templates or paper piecing?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:10 PM

For me right now I am interested in patterns for precuts, but I agree with making sure you have a model for yardage as well. I also tend to but patterns for more interesting unique patterns. Most patterns I buy are intricate that I can't really duplicate easily. Well written directions are a must. Also good pictures, examples are also a must. I have quite a few patterns that are confusing and when that happens I will most likely not buy from the same designer. I have no issues with specialty rulers or paper piecing as I am a gadget queen and am attracted to paper piecing or paperless paper piecing patters as well as applique.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:45 AM

For me, the only patterns that I look for are for paper-piecing.