Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some ideas please >

Need some ideas please

Need some ideas please

Old 04-06-2015, 09:57 AM

When using any pattern or set of instructions occaisionally find part of the directions that are worded in localized idioms, and there is no way to look up what they mean. Ex- "you have to ooch it just a bit" (Actual words used by Mary Fons, thank you) I know what she means, but sometimes I am just clueless. Also abreviations that are not explained is another iritant. I am not trying to be the problem child, just listing some ideas for you to consider. Changing terms throws me off also. If you start calling something one thing, stay with it for us, please don't change it.( ex- "lay fabric face down" in one sentence, then saying it "RSD" in another spot). Be consistant. If you write your instructions for a younger, less experienced quilter, you should be right on the mark, no matter how complicated the design. Pictures of steps in directions just thrills me. i am now a visual learner, so that is my issue. You could always ask a non-quilting friend to read them through, to see if that person thought they could do it with your instructions? Thanks for coming back. We missed you.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:08 AM

madammekelly, you would love the way I write my patterns then! I don't use local idioms, I stick with known quilting terms and normal definitions. If I do use an abbreviation, I will put a "key" as to what they are somewhere in the pattern, usually in the beginning and tell you that I will be using them. (this is because, sometimes there is not enough space on the page to write out Half Square Triangle, but there is enough for HST. I try to write so everyone can understand, but not for the very beginner. I assume that you know a little bit, just enough to be dangerous LOL AND all of my patterns have pictures, pictures of the actual work in progress or detailed computer drawn pictures with arrows and all the like.

I also give the directions to my husband, who doesn't quilt, but is a wiz at grammar and spelling, to look at my directions before I even publish. He is so good, he will point out that I have missed a period or a comma, I also have friends who are very beginners and they are my test gauge. If they can understand the directions, then I am good to go!

It takes me about 2 to 3 months to write a pattern, and that is after I have created it in EQ and played with it for a month or so there.

So thanks for the ideas, and I am glad to know that I am already doing what you have suggested, gives me hope that I am on the right direction.

And glad to be back!