Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Donating fabric and batting scraps

Donating fabric and batting scraps

I am moving and am cleaning out my quilting closet. I have some fabric and batting scraps I'd like to give away. Some of the batting pieces are especially large but I don't want to bring them with me. What should I do with it? Is anyone here near San Jose, CA and would want it?

Do a computer search to see if there are any quilt guilds near you. Most make charity items and would be very happy to pick it up to use in making Linus quilts, Quilts of Valor, etc. Good luck with your move.

wish I lived closer... scrap quilts are my passion. I can't even imagine me trying to move lol...way too much stuff in this house!

Contact a local quilting guild to see if they make charity quilts. If not, then try some local churches or even retirement homes. Here in Va Beach we have a sewing bee that does charity quilts as well as my local church. So there are plenty of places to donate fabrics.

You can post in the free offers section of the board , and have the person pay postage. If there is quite a bit , make a couple of boxes. There are lots of scrappers here on the board.

You could put it free on Craigslist and someone will pick it up from you, or you could look for the local chapter of Project Linus to see if they'd like it.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

here's the contact for Project Linus in San Jose. This chapter provides about 500 blankets a month to various organizations in the Bay Area for children in need.

San Jose/South Bay
    (408) 252-1858

Do you have free cycle in your area? post it there. I once picked up a big bag of batting scraps from my area Freecycle. Its a yahoo group.

If you could get it to Lincoln Glen Mennonite Brethren Church in San Jose and say it is for Mennonite Central Committee (relief arm of Mennonite churches) it will be sent to Mennonite Quilt Center who make quilts and auction them for the relief work.

Blog Entries
    looking for groups in Portland Ore who accept fabrics

Quote Originally Posted by scrappingfaye58 View Post
    wish I lived closer... scrap quilts are my passion. I can't even imagine me trying to move lol...way too much stuff in this house!

Same here..

I agree with Alleyoop, contact a local quilting guild or possibly even one of the quilt shops for suggestions.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Wow. It is hard to believe that there isn't someone in these areas on this board who could use it. I hear about guilds who are overloaded with fabric and sell it, etc. I hope someone relieves you both of your burdens!