Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't ask for Dad's help to pack fabric! >

Don't ask for Dad's help to pack fabric!

Don't ask for Dad's help to pack fabric!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 PM

My DH and I had professional movers do stuff like that. They packed my live African Violet and a bag of garbage ! Needless to say, the bag of garbage was really ripe by the time it was unpacked. UGH
Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 PM

What a funny story! I've lived in the same house for 38 years so no recent packing experience but I'm sure it's good to have a sense of humor (and a very special, helpful dad)! We'll all anxious to hear what's in the last boxes :lol
Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
:roll: When I moved over a year ago, my dad helped me in the move. I remember now him asking what to do with all of my rags, meaning fabric. :roll: I think he brought in a front-end loader and started filling boxes. Today, I decided to go through the boxes that dad had packed. I knew I was missing a bunch of FQ's, but didn't realize just how many there were. I opened up one box and found almost 200! :lol: Along with those FQ's were miscellaneous scraps of all sizes. I also found 3 spools of thread, my tweezers for my serger, a container of garlic salt with no lid, 2 packages of cat food, the missing place settings for my silverware, a remote for a TV that I sold before I moved, a tube of chap stick, a pad of erasable typing paper (for pp'ing), 2 cat toys and her brush, a can of green beans, two unopened and warm cans of beer and a partridge in a pear tree.
:wink: I still have 4 more boxes of fabric that dad packed to go. This is almost like buying the FQ's all over again. Now I need MORE shelving. :shock:
How funny. At least your things got to your new location. Your dad packed better than my late FIL when he came to help us move the furniture on a weekend. We only moved about 6 blocks away. We had a lot of things that just had to have gone in the dumpster, because they never arrived in any of my boxes with everyhting else in the move. My mother and I had been moving all of the light stuff through the week. My worse loss was a photo album with all of my sons baby pic. He was 6 when we moved, he is 35 now, so I have very few of his baby pic. just a few snapshots. The album was full of 8/10's professional photography pics.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by sewnserge
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Garlic with no lid? Oh my ... does the fabric now reek of garlic?

What an odd assortment of objects to find together in the same box. Couldn't help but think about the TV show I watched last night about the guys that buy storage lockers and have no clue what could be lurking in the boxes!
Not really, but I did start craving spaghetti.
What a great post Tonnie Loree!! I am roflol!! Craving spaghetti -- sounds like something I would say!! You must be a nut case, too!! Love ya!
I take that as a compliment! I am a nut case! :XD: It wasn't my idea for dad to pack my stash. He just needed a few more boxes to fill the load and he doesn't like to travel after dark. That is why they were so screwy. I did manage to keep a roll of T.P, my toothbrush and toothpaste, and a change of clothing close at hand.

It is tired and I am late. No, I am tired and it is late. Sweet dreams everyone!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Garlic with no lid? Oh my ... does the fabric now reek of garlic?

What an odd assortment of objects to find together in the same box. Couldn't help but think about the TV show I watched last night about the guys that buy storage lockers and have no clue what could be lurking in the boxes!
When I lived in Maine, I used to bid in storage auctions sometimes. One saturday morning a dad had his little boy about a year old with him, carrying him on his shoulder.
When the door of one of the storage units was rolled up, a huge, 3 ft tall white polar teddy bear appeared. So, the auctioneer asked for a bid of a dollar to start the bidding. The little boy held up his hand with the forefinger pointed up, definitely a bid!
We all looked at each other and nobody would bid against the kid. The kid went home happily with his giant polar bear after paying the auctioneer with a dollar his dad gave him.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
...My worse loss was a photo album with all of my sons baby pic. He was 6 when we moved, he is 35 now, so I have very few of his baby pic. just a few snapshots. The album was full of 8/10's professional photography pics.
What a heartbreak! Do you know of any relatives you may have sent pics to? If so, you may be able to make copies now...if they'd let you borrow them for an hour. I did this of some real oldies once on a visit to my great Aunt's. Walgreens was around the corner...it is so nice to have some of the old pics of the family weddings, & of my grandparents with their siblings. I had looked at those pictures for many years. It's a good thing too, as shortly after my visit, she was moved into a home & her daughter threw all those pictures away.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Originally Posted by Gerbie
...My worse loss was a photo album with all of my sons baby pic. He was 6 when we moved, he is 35 now, so I have very few of his baby pic. just a few snapshots. The album was full of 8/10's professional photography pics.
What a heartbreak! Do you know of any relatives you may have sent pics to? If so, you may be able to make copies now...if they'd let you borrow them for an hour. I did this of some real oldies once on a visit to my great Aunt's. Walgreens was around the corner...it is so nice to have some of the old pics of the family weddings, & of my grandparents with their siblings. I had looked at those pictures for many years. It's a good thing too, as shortly after my visit, she was moved into a home & her daughter threw all those pictures away.
No, because I got all of the ones that I had given to my parents
and DH parents after they all passed away. But for Christmas this year I am going to make a memory quilt for each of my children, using pic. of when they were small to current time. I have all of the fab. for daughters quilt and most for sons. I have already purchased pkgs of Printed Treasures sheets to use. I will start on them as soon as I finish the current quilt I am working on. I started on it waiting for the pkgs of Printed Treasures. I have become angry each time I think about them and so disappointed that there are no copies to share with him since he is grown now. I had separate albums for each of the kids. I really don't know how DD's escaped and managed to get moved safely, but he has had plenty taken and kept over the years since. I am a hughe pic. buff when it comes to family pics.Thanks for caring with your reply and suggestions though.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:03 AM

I had a vision of your box of fabric smelling like garlic also. What a funny story I'm still laughing.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 AM

At least he didn't pack the cat with the toys did he. CAthy A tumrub
Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Ha! Ha! ROFLMBO!! :)