Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Don't do what I did!

Blog Entries
    Keep us posted on the outcome of your tangles and how long it takes to untangle. Thanks for the heads up so none of us do a repeat performance (especially me). I am not sure I would not have done the same thing not thinking ahead of the tangled outcome.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

kat its not a mess its 'ART' LOL

Make sure you take your dryer screen and soak it in some vinegar and brush it clean, thats built up on it and could be a 'fire' problem.
    Last edited by icon17; 04-04-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    My washer has a handwash cycle. (GE Profile top loader) No agitation, just a gentle slow swish of the tub. I love it for washing quilts and especially for fabric. No tangles when washing small pieces and no threads! I didn't know how great this cycle was until after I bought the washer. I will never buy another washer without the handwash cycle. If the fabric pieces are small I let them air dry.
    Got fabric?

Junior Member QuiltingrandmafromMi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's so nice when people post their mistakes, then we get to learn from them, and don't have to go through the headaches! Thanks for letting us know!

Believe me, they would have gone in the garbage except for the fact that I bought them as part of a kit and it wasn't cheap!!!!
    Kathy

I think we all learn my our mistakes.
    Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

~~~Grandma Donna~~~

I have washed strips before, and there was a real mess! I even used a lingerie bag, too, but there was still a mess! I didn't starch them, but wanted to wash them to go with other fabric that had been washed.

Quote Originally Posted by w7sue View Post
    I love learning lessons from people who have already made the mistakes - sorry you are so tangled up. If you decide to experiment with the process again, you might try putting them in a lingerie bag, then into the dryer. Never done it but it might help since it keeps my bras from getting all mixed up.

Can't imagine your surprise and frustration! Hope you're able to get out of your mess without a bigger mess!

Blog Entries
    I put moy scraps in a lingerie (sp?) bag. That way they don't get tangled .
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

I was always told NOT to ever starch fabric, spray-on or liquid, as bugs love to eat it and will ruin your quilts. What I do is use sizing, which stiffens, but is not a starch. Granted, it is a spray-on (haven't found a liquid one yet), but 99.9% of us iron our fabrics anyway. I even use sizing when I iron my DH's shirts - look just as good as starching. Yes, I know, I should send the shirts to the laundry for them to do so I have more time to quilt! :-)

An ironing tip: never, ever, ever use a steam iron. Water and irons, do not mix. Water will cause an iron to leak (see Rowenta thread from last week) eventually because of corrosion of the internal parts. Those of us who "sprinkle" their fabrics and use a dry iron, have just as crisp fabric as those who use a steam iron and we have irons that will basically last forever.

Good luck with your tangles!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your courage to tell your screw ups. I believe in telling all too so that beginning quilters don't see our long road to lovely quilts as a instant road to success. We all learn from our many mistakes and mishaps. I use a portable drying rack with a cheap plastic tablecloth under it for drying that type thing. I also use my fingers as a squeege when removing the strips from the starch bath.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

I do the small tub of liquid starch thing with all my fabrics, big pieces or little, but I have an outdoor clothesline on which to hang them and prefer them to be slightly damp yet when I iron them. If you do not have an outdoor line and are only doing strips, is there a way you can hang them to dry over the bathtub or in the shower?

Well two more hours spent cutting threads! So four hours in total to get the mess untangled. Now to iron all of the strips! That will be tonight's job.
    Kathy

Good to know! I just bought an Accugo and was debating taking it back, but will try starching to see if I have better results.

Quote Originally Posted by kat112000 View Post
    Since I have been using starch, I love love it. Starching the fabric before using the Accugo really helps get nice cuts.I have a million 2 1/2 strips to sub cut so I thought I would save myself some time and make a large batch of liquid starch and soak the strips and then toss them into the dryer. What a mess!! It will take me forever to untangle and flatten so they can be pressed!!!! What the heck was I thinking!!!???!!!! So they are in the washing machine right now. That is what I get for being lazy!!!
    OMG ...Memories of almost the same thing that I did......had to toss all the squares..what a tangled frayed mess

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    I was always told NOT to ever starch fabric, spray-on or liquid, as bugs love to eat it and will ruin your quilts. What I do is use sizing, which stiffens, but is not a starch. Granted, it is a spray-on (haven't found a liquid one yet), but 99.9% of us iron our fabrics anyway. I even use sizing when I iron my DH's shirts - look just as good as starching. Yes, I know, I should send the shirts to the laundry for them to do so I have more time to quilt! :-)

An ironing tip: never, ever, ever use a steam iron. Water and irons, do not mix. Water will cause an iron to leak (see Rowenta thread from last week) eventually because of corrosion of the internal parts. Those of us who "sprinkle" their fabrics and use a dry iron, have just as crisp fabric as those who use a steam iron and we have irons that will basically last forever.

In defense of Rowenta steam irons........I have had mine for 14 years and have used it regularly and have NEVER had it leak the first time. It is the heaviest nicest iron I have ever owned and my DH went to great lengths to save money (we were struggling) and buy it for me for my quilting.

I think starching the fabric before cutting the strips would work better, but after thoughts won't untangle the strips.. Good luck
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post

So, no one should ever use a steam iron?????? Wow a whole industry down the tubes. I have really good success with my R owenta steam generator.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    Rowenta irons made in Germany are the top quality irons. They are hard to find but some do exist. The new Rowenta made in China, not worth buying according to all the reviews. Rowenta was sold to another company.
    Got fabric?

I had a Rowenta I bought in 1989. I used it both w/steam & dry. I just had to replace it this yr. Had no problems -- Bought another, but this one is made in China soooo - I hope things haven't changed & that misseva just has a lemon!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    oh goodness....perhaps it would have worked if you only cool dried them until they were damp and not dry!

Blog Entries
    I purchased a laundry drying rack to put my starched fabric on it to dry (ceiling fan is on and helps to dry faster). It works great.

I had a Rowenta travel iron that lasted 15 years, no leaking at all. It just died out, not bad for a iron that was used daily. I liked it for pressing quilt blocks and yes sometimes I used water in it to get some stubborn wrinkles out. The secret for this iron, well any steam iron, is remembering to drain all of the water out of it and then let the iron heat up a bit to make sure no water is left inside.
    Last edited by arbed31; 04-05-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Oh gosh sounds like the way I learn - the hard way. I hope you can get it all sorted easily.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    My Mother used to do that, but hung them outside to dry not put them in the dryer. She would bring them in sprinkle them down, roll them in something for awhile then iron. I still have some blocks she had cut out but not done anything with, they are as stiff as cardboard.
    Thanks for the tips on what not and what to do. Sorry for your trouble, kat112000

Sometimes our "shortcut" turn into really long scenic tours, don't they. Thanks for the tip.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast